William "Allen's Town" - Friday Night - Aug 4th, 2017

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Did not care for the change in staging of the winged guard. Felt cluttered and messy.

I kinda liked the new staging of the winged guard in the closer. The last couple sets the corps does before the final hit are a little muddy. Looks like they're trying to rehash some of the moving wave drill from last year but it's still not quite right. They also seem to not be clear on what tempo they're going for in the closing push. 

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Now I AM confused.  Are they DCA?  Or Open Class?  Or Open Class in DCA?

DCA divides corps into two divisions based on size. Corps that have 65 or fewer members can opt to compete in the lower division, Class A. But they can also declare for the higher division, Open Class, which automatically includes all larger corps (maximum size is 128). This year there are five Class A corps (six until yesterday when Excelsior announced they were withdrawing from the rest of the season): Chops Inc., Cincinnati Tradition, Erie Thunderbirds, Govenaires, and Southern Knights. And there are thirteen Open Class corps this year: Atlanta CV, Bushwackers, Cadets2, Carolina Gold, Connecticut Hurricanes, Fusion Core, Hawthorne Caballeros, Minnesota Brass, Reading Buccaneers, Skyliners, Sunrisers, and White Sabers, as well as Kidsgrove Scouts, who like The Company to DCI, will be touring from the UK.

• Like 1

Some interesting back and forth rivalries going into finals week.  Blue Stars and Phantom, which was Blue Stars and Crossmen, or BK and Phantom.  Madison and Mandarins.  Colts and Troopers. Oregon and Pacific Crest.  Unfortunately, who comes out on top in each of those, may depend on the panel for that night.  Sounds a little confusing, but easy to see on bknights.org > news > drum corps scores > current standings.   BK has done a great job with this graph the last few years.

Edited by 27Socal

On 7/31/2017 at 0:10 PM, Liahona said:

Judging Panel:

General effect 1      W. Chumley
General effect 1      M. Kelly
General effect 2      D. Davis
General effect 2      C. Hestin
Visual Proficiency   R. Solomon
Visual Analysis        B. Mascaro
Color Guard            C. Raichle
Brass                       P. McGarr
Music Analysis        J. Kennedy
Percussion 1           G. Howarth
Percussion 2           J. Prosperie

Venue:

J. Birney Crum Stadium 
Linden St. & 20th St. 
Allentown, PA 18105

UPBPDAPKTTLMORO.20170731144946.jpg

5254793769_e1cf7d7f75_b.jpg

Sorry if this was already asked but will these be the same judges for Saturday in the same catagories?

1 hour ago, BassFanMom said:

Sorry if this was already asked but will these be the same judges for Saturday in the same catagories?

For this Regional, they usually are so they can make it seem more like a single competition. 

2 hours ago, BassFanMom said:

Yes.

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

In a lot of ways they are, but they compete at the DCA level. They cap their age at 26 (with a few exceptions), however most of what you just saw were high school kids ages 15 to 18. In a sense they are of the same age and experience of a BDB or SCVC, but they are a weekend corps only. They are not touring during the week days. It makes more sense for them to compete weekends since the East Coast is loaded with some good DCA competition. 

According to my son (a C2 snare tech the past two years), the corps has improved considerably during their mini tour this week, and the battery really benefits from getting feedback from great DCI judges like Prosperie. I enjoyed the beauty of the corps' soft melodic playing....fairly seamless....following BD would have been a tough chore for any DCA weekend corp.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

Can't say for certain, but it appeared to be a venue problem, not a corps problem.

So, it seems to me the Corps that followed PC owe PC a Gatorade delivery for uncovering and fixing the power issues.  LOL!

2 hours ago, brichtimp said:

According to my son (a C2 snare tech the past two years), the corps has improved considerably during their mini tour this week, and the battery really benefits from getting feedback from great DCI judges like Prosperie. I enjoyed the beauty of the corps' soft melodic playing....fairly seamless....following BD would have been a tough chore for any DCA weekend corp.

It's the old Jim Jones axiom...get the corps out on the road and they'll improve faster.  They did a good job of following up two of the top DCI corps.