William "Allen's Town" - Friday Night - Aug 4th, 2017

32 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

That's not what I meant. What I meant is that the Blue Devils have a very distinct sound. Whether or not their music is happy and light, or dissident and dark, I can always tell that it is the Blue Devils. 

This is true for most top drum & bugle corps since the beginning.  Play ANY recording (even songs not generally associated with the corps)  from the 1955-1967 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Garfield Cadets, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, Chicago Royal Airs, Chicago Cavaliers, Casper Troopers, Hawthorne Caballeros, and New York Skyliners and I (and most others my age) will identify the corps from their sound.  I feel I can recognize Blue Devils 1978 -1983 and Blue Devils 2013 - 2017....... but I don't know other current DCI or DCA well enough to do the same....

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

There's just not a lot of drill in this show at all. It's weird to see a show that is supposed to celebrate the evolution of drum corps with so little corps marching. The two huge rotating blocks are awesome but that's really about it. You compare that with the amazing variety and complexity of SCV and it's really no comparison to me. Both are amazing, but SCV deserves the tip of the hat for really taking on the ultimate complex drum corps show and mastering it.

You make an excellent point. How can a show about the evolution of Drum Corps leave out most of the drill design that happened between traditional straight lines and scatter drills?  

12 minutes ago, JoeDz said:

This is true for most top drum & bugle corps since the beginning.  Play ANY recording (even songs not generally associated with the corps)  from the 1955-1967 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Garfield Cadets, St. Lucy's Cadets, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, Chicago Royal Airs, Chicago Cavaliers, Casper Troopers, Hawthorne Caballeros, and New York Skyliners and I (and most others my age) will identify the corps from their sound.  I feel I can recognize Blue Devils 1978 -1983 and Blue Devils 2013 - 2017....... but I don't know other current DCI or DCA well enough to do the same....

And its true today as well, JoeDz. I can tell the difference between the 3 brass lines of BD, Bluecoats, Carolina Crown pretty easily as a matter of fact.. Some of it is the distinctive brass arranging, other parts how they teach their lines, and the distinctive sound it thus produces. BD brass instruments developed specifically with " System Blue " distinquishes their brass sound from the others too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Why are we  on this show.  Why not to night

5 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

You can choose not to participate in this thread. 

Is this tonight show and last night show blog

25 minutes ago, JoeDz said:

Right You do not mention Boston they were the best at that time.

6 minutes ago, emc2 said:

Right You do not mention Boston they were the best at that time.

Yes..... I was tempted to include Boston.....but I just didn't see them at enough contests in New Jersey......... I would probably include Bridgeport PAL and even Troop 12 BSA before I would falsely claim that I recognize the sound of BC.... seemed St. Kevin's was always at The Dream....BC not so much.  I also recognize Hurricanes sound from mid 60s.

10 minutes ago, JoeDz said:

Yes..... I was tempted to include Boston.....but I just didn't see them at enough contests in New Jersey......... I would probably include Bridgeport PAL and even Troop 12 BSA before I would falsely claim that I recognize the sound of BC.... seemed St. Kevin's was always at The Dream....BC not so much.  I also recognize Hurricanes sound from mid 60s.

Yes, JoeDz.. Joe Gennaro's brass lines sounded much different than HyDreitzer's, and Ed Denon's at Boston from Crawford's Corps brass lines, and so on and so forth... same as today in these respects, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

5 minutes ago, JoeDz said:

Top drum corps back then BAC. no one else.  Love st  Kevin's. like all of the rest they went to drum corps heaven .  Support BAC they are the only one left.