Recommended Posts

This review will come in bits and pieces as life allows. #### job keeps me making me work and the DCW write up needs done first. Until I get to breakdown the corps, here's some general observations:

 

the stadium is great. parking is a little tough if you don't get there super early, and luckily, no one's warmup interfered with a show. The number of non working DCA judges in the crowd was very telling that people wanted to come check it out. show ran smooth, no intermission, smooth flow in out for corps. Crowd size looked good, no guesstimate on the numbers. Perfect weather for a show

I'll remember the Loading Dock in Dunmore just off of exit 188 on 81 for future pre-show gatherings. Also great to see an old college friend, who never really followed drum corps but was wowed and didnt realize what the craziness in town the last 2 years has been. she'll be back!

 

the lack of a field visual judge continues to be sorely noticed from bottom to mostly the top. I'm sure it's addressed by all staffs, but the amount of feet all over the place has be a contributing factor to the ensemble tears of the evening......and there were a few. Staging also a culprit in some.

Use of trombones and french horns in most cases well done, still it seems that gliassandos can't be resisted for gimmicks sake in the trombones. The sun still rose the next day after both were used, the sky did not fall, and it's still only drum corps to me ($1 to Billy Joel)

 

 

more to come later

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Use of trombones and french horns in most cases well done, still it seems that gliassandos can't be resisted for gimmicks sake in the trombones.

White Sabres probably do the coolest integration of the trombone voice into the drill at the end of their show.  Pretty neat.  And their apparatus/cart to transport the trombones to the field is pretty genius.  

I also like Reading use of an extended solo. I think it shows the natural melloish melodic characteristic of the instrument.  I think theres a timbre that the instrument can produce that a baritone can't.  It's a refreshing moment and a contrast that works well for them.  And then there is that crazy trio in the opener - it's way on the other side of the spectrum of effect that the instrument produces.   

Cabs are also doing some good things.  

Gimmick?  The glissando is probably the #1 characteristic of the instrument.  Is it overdone?  That's up to the listener to decide.  I personally like the timber and effects that the instrument can produce, the guy sitting next to me may not.  

 

AoE

 

 

 

Edited by AoEnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AoEnut said:

Gimmick?  The glissando is probably the #1 characteristic of the instrument.  Is it overdone?  That's up to the listener to decide.  I personally like the timber and effects that the instrument can produce, the guy sitting next to me may not.  

 

AoE

 

 

 

Hmm. Very Interesting point.

 

Sometimes, you don't want any gliss or portamento when you play the Bone- and you have to really be attentive to that. A lot depends on the genre and situation.

 

You're spot on about the Timbre of the Bone- totally different from whatever flavor Baritone you want to choose from and crazy different from the Euphonium. It's why the British Brass Bands have all three of them in their ensembles. You want a penetrating feel, you want the Bone. BITD we were able to emulate the trombone feel with the Bugles at Westshore to a point- but when you can use the real thing- it's just so much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

This review will come in bits and pieces as life allows. #### job keeps me making me work and the DCW write up needs done first. Until I get to breakdown the corps, here's some general observations:

 

the stadium is great. parking is a little tough if you don't get there super early, and luckily, no one's warmup interfered with a show. The number of non working DCA judges in the crowd was very telling that people wanted to come check it out. show ran smooth, no intermission, smooth flow in out for corps. Crowd size looked good, no guesstimate on the numbers. Perfect weather for a show

I'll remember the Loading Dock in Dunmore just off of exit 188 on 81 for future pre-show gatherings. Also great to see an old college friend, who never really followed drum corps but was wowed and didnt realize what the craziness in town the last 2 years has been. she'll be back!

 

the lack of a field visual judge continues to be sorely noticed from bottom to mostly the top. I'm sure it's addressed by all staffs, but the amount of feet all over the place has be a contributing factor to the ensemble tears of the evening......and there were a few. Staging also a culprit in some.

Use of trombones and french horns in most cases well done, still it seems that gliassandos can't be resisted for gimmicks sake in the trombones. The sun still rose the next day after both were used, the sky did not fall, and it's still only drum corps to me ($1 to Billy Joel)

 

 

more to come later

 

 

question for you ,after taking a week off for more rehersal time did Cadets 2 finally do something other then cuttler the fieid with rocking chairs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

question for you ,after taking a week off for more rehersal time did Cadets 2 finally do something other then cuttler the fieid with rocking chairs

I do feel your, for the lack of a better term, bitterness?  

Saturday night, I'm feeling though they did not have a particularly good run.  Though I do feel they are built to pick up momentum as the season progresses to the the finish line.  Looking at their schedule, they have extended rehearsal time this week with more performances in big venues.  This is a definite plus for them.  

They do seem to be younger corps but they do have the advantage of extra rehearsal time which will do them nothing but good.  Historically speaking and from last years results they have a process that seems to kick in around this time of the year.  Maybe they need time to work out kinks in the programing?  Maybe they need more time to reinforce the details for the members?  I'm not really sure as I'm not in on he nitty-gritty of their day to day.  

As far as them pulling out of the show, it seemed to be less than a kid issue and more of a planning issue.  

AND as far as the rocking chairs are concerned - they are still there.  I'm sure their talented staff will fix it, this week will probably help clear that up and if not, pulling out of shows is the least of their problems.  

 

AoE

 

Edited by AoEnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given who's there on visual staff, the chairs and the issues with them really shocked me. This is an elementary issue with a  prop when I see it that quickly. They do need to deal with it in some way.

 

The overall question is then, how complete are C2, really? I'll try and put this kindly. It chases people like me away during the regular when you start to perceive that one of the top corps is basically holding everything back and then raising themselves about 4-5 levels of excellence and completion for Finals. Not just a burnishing and polishing of what's been a decent product for a couple weeks, but a total rise out of the ashes appearance. Why should I go to a regular season contest, spend my money on the ticket and gas if that's what I get as a product unless I'm a Parent?


Some may not like that, but it's the way I feel, and I know I'm not totally alone in thinking this way. Most of the hard core fans pretty much show up for Rochester only, partly because of the travel from where they live, but I have a feeling some others do because of this issue. Next year, right now, I'm pretty much planning on hanging with the T-Birds when they give me a shout and making Williamsport weekend the only definite thing. I feel... to use an old fashioned word regarding this one corps and this issue, a tad hoodwinked as a fan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigW said:

Given who's there on visual staff, the chairs and the issues with them really shocked me. This is an elementary issue with a  prop when I see it that quickly. They do need to deal with it in some way.

The overall question is then, how complete are C2, really? I'll try and put this kindly. It chases people like me away during the regular when you start to perceive that one of the top corps is basically holding everything back and then raising themselves about 4-5 levels of excellence and completion for Finals. Not just a burnishing and polishing of what's been a decent product for a couple weeks, but a total rise out of the ashes appearance. Why should I go to a regular season contest, spend my money on the ticket and gas if that's what I get as a product unless I'm a Parent?

Some may not like that, but it's the way I feel, and I know I'm not totally alone in thinking this way. Most of the hard core fans pretty much show up for Rochester only, partly because of the travel from where they live, but I have a feeling some others do because of this issue.

 a tad hoodwinked as a fan.

Dub,

Some valid points by you.  I'm taking a less cynical approach by my standards and even surprising myself as I write this :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They've made a choice to come out later than all the other corps.  This made sense when they were sharing designers between the two corps.  Is this the case anymore?  Maybe the guard thing?  I really think this hurts them. They have a partial week of rehearsals coming up, maybe they were waiting till this point to get in and fix many of the issues.  This is something that the other corps don't have.   Even with the added hours that C2 has it still is only weekend drum corps and the later start really kills them.    

I think they are going to be strong by the time the end of the year rolls around.  They have a great brass sound, but still struggle on the move.  The percussion section is again very strong, as always, but is maybe being thrown off by the latter.  Their guard seems behind but have been catching up.  The drill has become much clearer.  My opinion they seem to be struggling in the coordination area, but as I said it seems to be getting better.  Maybe it's the byproduct of their design staff shakeups.  

I totally agree with you about the parent thing.  A lot of money to be monkeying around with getting the show on the field.  

Great thoughts from you.  Thanks for sharing.  

 

AoE

 

Edited by AoEnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AoEnut said:

White Sabres probably do the coolest integration of the trombone voice into the drill at the end of their show.  Pretty neat.  And their apparatus/cart to transport the trombones to the field is pretty genius.  

I also like Reading use of an extended solo. I think it shows the natural melloish melodic characteristic of the instrument.  I think theres a timbre that the instrument can produce that a baritone can't.  It's a refreshing moment and a contrast that works well for them.  And then there is that crazy trio in the opener - it's way on the other side of the spectrum of effect that the instrument produces.   

Cabs are also doing some good things.  

Gimmick?  The glissando is probably the #1 characteristic of the instrument.  Is it overdone?  That's up to the listener to decide.  I personally like the timber and effects that the instrument can produce, the guy sitting next to me may not.  

 

AoE

 

 

 

hi...sorry job and trying to sqeeze in writing stuff up...

 

i think the gliss feature, especially in DCI is over used. it's like "we're doing it because we can", not "because it actually works. It's gotten better in DCI, and in DCA I see some of both.

 

Look if you have 5 great bass drummers that can split atoms at 220, do you do it the whole show just because you can, or do you do it because it's done where it works? Sure noteheads and me 20 years ago choose option A. The smart ones choose option B. So far activity wide, it's about 60/40 option A IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

question for you ,after taking a week off for more rehersal time did Cadets 2 finally do something other then cuttler the fieid with rocking chairs 

they're used more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigW said:

Given who's there on visual staff, the chairs and the issues with them really shocked me. This is an elementary issue with a  prop when I see it that quickly. They do need to deal with it in some way.

 

The overall question is then, how complete are C2, really? I'll try and put this kindly. It chases people like me away during the regular when you start to perceive that one of the top corps is basically holding everything back and then raising themselves about 4-5 levels of excellence and completion for Finals. Not just a burnishing and polishing of what's been a decent product for a couple weeks, but a total rise out of the ashes appearance. Why should I go to a regular season contest, spend my money on the ticket and gas if that's what I get as a product unless I'm a Parent?


Some may not like that, but it's the way I feel, and I know I'm not totally alone in thinking this way. Most of the hard core fans pretty much show up for Rochester only, partly because of the travel from where they live, but I have a feeling some others do because of this issue. Next year, right now, I'm pretty much planning on hanging with the T-Birds when they give me a shout and making Williamsport weekend the only definite thing. I feel... to use an old fashioned word regarding this one corps and this issue, a tad hoodwinked as a fan.

you didnt see the snowflakes in 05 early season. trust me, there's a process i'm sure at work.at least there was with the snowflakes LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.