Electronic Amplification

I was at Nightbeat also, only I was in the VIP 3 rows from the top.  There were a few corps that offended with the thunderous goo at times. 

But I have to call out Cadets and Blue Devils as being "unnaturally loud".  Even from the top of the stadium, it bordered on painful at times.  As the amplified volume grew, the clarity of the music started to get lost.  Too bad it has to be like that.  The only corps that I never heard amplification from (except solos) was the Troopers.  If they are using it, I couldn't hear it.

I don't think either of these brass lines have any need of amplification.  They can put out plenty of volume with out it.

Guess I'll be testing the earasers also, since we are on the 50 about 15 rows up in Indy all three nights.

Hmmm....something just occurred to me..

Since BD is doing a show involving the evolution of Drum Corps, maybe this is by design.  You know, starting on the end line, marching a company from with unison rifle spins, and ending the show with speakers blaring.   In some ways, that kinda sums it up.....hehe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTrooper77 said:

Since BD is doing a show involving the evolution of Drum Corps, maybe this is by design.  You know, starting on the end line, marching a company from with unison rifle spins, and ending the show with speakers blaring. 

Good observation. If this works, wait'll next year when the adult Engineers become even MORE important to Corps Show Designs and their Corps chances for higher scores, and placements. Things change. We fans learn to go with the Goo, the Bad and the Ugly.

13 hours ago, denverjohn said:

In an effort to promote full transparency, I suggest that we bring all the over-age soundboard mixers out for retreat in Indianapolis and give out trophies for best sound mixing, dynamics, synth bass, celebrity sound clips, etc.

Thought the Centerville scores were spot on for Cavies and Blue Stars at Centerville last night. But I expected a couple of speakers to pull in 3rd and 4th. 

19 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Just an observation from NightBeat - but it was obvious to me that certain corps were using electronics to amplify their sound above and beyond what its been used for the past few years. In a couple of cases, there were at least two corps that used it to over-amplify the volume of the brass when the hornline was facing the front sidelines (not referring to the Bluecoats moment when they face backstage). In contrast, there were several corps that used almost no amplification and sounded weaker than the rest of the field. At what point do we need to begin limiting the amount of amplification and how its used. I believe it does give the units that choose to use it a competitive advantage, which in my opinion goes against the spirit of the activity. Are there certain instances where its cool, sure. But I'm all for leveling the playing field and want to make sure we're not inadvertently giving certain corps an advantage because they have the means to do this. 

Thoughts?

There are three divisions: SS, OC, and WC. If you want DCI to place equipment limits in the name of keeping costs down on SS and OC to help level the playing field in those two divisions I would go for that. However, in this particular instance we are discussing WC. The WC field is level in that nobody is 'forcing' any corps to compete within the upper division; every corps in WC  has the competitive choice to use the any, all, or none of the legal equipment: and it would be grossly unfair to punish the various corps in the WC which are business solid and in the black financially that can utilize advancements in equipment because a few corps which really cannot afford to be in WC chose that upper division to compete in.

The amplification wars will drive out fans if it goes unchecked. Maybe not all, but I predict many. I love creative use of electronics, but I don't love cranking the volume to 12 because you think it helps your GE score.

Blue Devils show is jaw-dropping and amazing. I was 2nd row on the 50 in Atlanta (Powder Springs). The volume difference between BD and other amplified corps like Blue Coats was very obvious. My ears were still ringing the next day. I'm all for volume, but it was ridiculous. 

I do think some controls need to be put in place. I'll leave it to the sound engineers to determine that.

• Like 1

For years, some DCPers have wished for the return of G Bugles.  In the Modern DCI Era, maybe an amped brassline is the closest we're gonna get.

(Yea, I know -- it's not the same.)

5 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Battery on top.

• Like 2