Electronic Amplification

On 8/1/2017 at 4:03 PM, luv4corps said:

Anyone have a count on how many threads have been about amplification/electronics this year?

Not enough.  Too many corps are still having issues with mic levels and thunderous goo.  Bass amplification is being so overdone that it's almost impossible to hear tubas or the rest of the brass line.  The problem seems to be worse this year than last.

• Like 3

From my perspective GOOOOOOOONNNNN differing palettes BAAAAAAAHHHHH like a freshly made combination burrito from Del Taco BLA-DEEEEEE OODILEE-OODILEE-OODILEE BOOOOOOO GAHK GAHK by adding subtlety GOOOOGHWAHHHH best addressed with a 9/16" open end wrench OOOOooooOOOOoooo and garnish with GUH-DUNNNNNNN.

i know that was a pretty technical explanation but I hope that made some sense. 

Edited by TRacer

any corps that uses electronics to amplify the entire corps should be disqualified.  This is one of the things that so many were afraid would happen.  Makes one wonder why they don't just record the whole show, leave the horns at home or "lip sync" the whole show.  What's the point?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The latest DCI Field Pass podcast, released today, addresses the issue at hand.

Problem with this field pass is dear ole Dan only covered the pro side of amps and micing. How about getting someone who is stanchly against in on the discussion/interview? Also, I hate to tell the expert working with BD, their pit has been guilty of being way to loud and out of balance by many folks at a variety of venues.  One last thing this stuff ain't New anymore.  Amps came in 2004 and synths been around since 2009 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:03 PM, luv4corps said:

Anyone have a count on how many threads have been about amplification/electronics this year?

That's because all the sane people that aren't in the Marching Musical Theater & Yoga Corps Snowflake Sunshine Pumper Club hate it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, war eagle said:

Makes one wonder why they don't just record the whole show, leave the horns at home or "lip sync" the whole show.  What's the point?

What baffles me is that fans willingly and gleefully buy extremely high priced tickets at sold out sports arenas where pop bands do this very thing of finger syncing, air playing, and lip syncing. It is all about the over the top show and stage spectacle now and nothing really about the substance of live musical performance; and I am afraid it would be the same type of fan willingness if DCI at some point did jump into that vein of show over substance.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

What baffles me is that fans willingly and gleefully buy extremely high priced tickets at sold out sports arenas where pop bands do this very thing of finger syncing, air playing, and lip syncing. It is all about the over the top show and stage spectacle now and nothing really about the substance of live musical performance; and I am afraid it would be the same type of fan willingness if DCI at some point did jump into that vein of show over substance.

Much of the reason I actually prefer broadcast DCI at home (besides age and laziness) is being able to ADJUST for the new, often poorly used, tools by using. . . . .  MY OWN ELECTRONIC gadgets !

(what a world we live in)

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, bluesman said:

Not enough.  Too many corps are still having issues with mic levels and thunderous goo.  Bass amplification is being so overdone that it's almost impossible to hear tubas or the rest of the brass line.  The problem seems to be worse this year than last.

And vocals and other sounds that are balanced poorly and take away from the music 

one issue (of MANY) I have with all of this is no one seems to be hurting musically regardless and in some ways are being rewarded the more they use it, even if it's poorly used. 

If one show the balance is great and the next it is way off why don't scores reflect this?  (I mean other than the fact that corps are basically slotted thru the season lol). If it were real musicians on the field playing out of balance musically that would affect the scores wouldn't it? 

I personnally cannot stand the direction things are going. I even sold my tickets this year and it hurt.  I'll take mics in the pit, some synth (balanced correctly) and even a small amount of voice over (like what Boston is doing this year that doesn't take away from the show on the field) but mics on horns and on the front sidelines and even singing through half the show are overboard and ridiculous to me. Just my opinions

It'll be interesting to see how the sound will now be on cds and dvds with all of this going on.  

this will always be remembered as the year of the spandex costumes and electronic overboard lol 

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 6

Never has there been a time where a drum corps needed to be amplified on the field!  A well designed and developed corps can fill any stadium with sound.  There is nothing worse than to hear only a few horns amped over the rest of the line as they pass by a mic vs. the entire line playing in unison, and in tune!  Amplification makes it hard to judge by both audience and judges, and there is no practical way of mixing sound and do it right when the mixing board is front and center behind the podium.  It's counter to all sound mixing logic!!!  No corps has the resources to purchase and maintain the technology (and employ the staff to operate it) to ensure that the amplified sound is the same quality as pure acoustic brass and percussion.  

Amplification and electronic instruments to a drum corps is becoming like steroids to professional sports!!!  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if auto-pitch correction technology isn't eventually adopted so that corps don't have to be so picky about the quality of performers they need.

Amplification and electronic instruments also widens the gap between corps based on "haves and have nots" vs. the capabilities of the members.  There is no way I would pay today's premium dues to play second chair to a keyboard or amped vocalist!  It is not educational and should be considered an insult to hardworking musicians. 

Not long ago, the difference between a good show and great show was proportional to the amount of hard work and training put forth by members and staff.  Today, it hinges on a mixing board and power supply. Technical difficulties use to be minor issues - today they can make or break a show. 

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Land_Surfer said:

Amplification and electronic instruments also widens the gap between corps based on "haves and have nots" vs. the capabilities of the members.

I was with you on every other point except this one. So what if it widens the gap in WC, so what if the haves in WC secure the best capable performers. This is by golly the WC we are talking about here, the creme de la creme, the highest level of the marching arts in the world. If a corps is struggling in WC and cannot keep up with the successful WC corps, do not punish the successful, but instead tell that struggling corps there is OC and SS for those that cannot hang with the Major League WC status. Otherwise drop the Major League WC designation all together and resign all corps to a very restricted SS level.