Bluecoats getting the shaft this year

I have participated and have been following drum corps for a very long time. I have adopted the changes over the years with open arms. I love most of those changes and have no wish to turning the clock back. I start with these points because I know some punk will accuse me of being old school or for not understanding modern drum corps. Rest assured I understand it quite well and I am very familiar with the judging sheets and scoring process. 

Having said that, it is a shame what the judges are doing to BC this year. I have watched closely all season and have seen the bias that is so obvious. It appears to me the judges have a grudge of some sort against them. Is it the guard outfits?  I read the corps changed to longer shorts due to complaints about a little butt cheek or two showing. Is it because the judges believe it is destiny for BD and SCV to be fighting it out during their anniversaries?  Maybe it is because they don't have enough pretty colors. I noticed BD has pink in their uniforms. That certainly must be worth an extra 3 or 4 points in visual. It apparently outweighs the extreme drill design BC is marching. 

Unfortunately, the scores are simply the opinion of a select few judges. They are human and have biases. This years "collective thought" appears to be against the Bluecoats. That truly is a shame given the energy and talent this corps has.  The message the judges are sending to all:  don't do anything risky, keep your drill simple and clean, focus on having a strong palette of color choices and color guard, both have more impact on your overall score then drill, brass, or percussion. Fast is old school. March slowly and precisely. When playing, be sure it is loud and try to stand still while doing so. If you are going to march at a fast tempo, be sure to do it while not playing. And finally, never ever make the young women in the guard where something feminine. Modern women are not supposed to be feminine or sexy. 

• Like 8

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I have said the same thing. 5 yrs from now, no one will remember this years BD show in particular. Many will remember BC. 

I recently went to an open class competition. I really enjoyed it. Those corps still work hard for their scores instead of relying on their name. 

• Like 5

I honestly think they're dinging them for having a '90s-style (read: good) brass book, which they are presenting as music, not using to support a story or theme.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Midwest said:

I recently went to an open class competition. I really enjoyed it. Those corps still work hard for their scores instead of relying on their name. 

Easy gang.  Yes, the Bluecoats have a great show, but many might feel the BD&SCV shows are stronger this year than the ones they had up against the 16 Bluecoats. 

• Like 6

SCV does have a great show this year. They deserve to be in the spot they are in. BD and CC do not. In my opinion. 

• Like 4

Program is mostly there for a title run but they need to clean the sh!t out of it the next two weeks.  Performance wins...not the best design.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Midwest said:

I have participated and have been following drum corps for a very long time. I have adopted the changes over the years with open arms. I love most of those changes and have no wish to turning the clock back. I start with these points because I know some punk will accuse me of being old school or for not understanding modern drum corps. Rest assured I understand it quite well and I am very familiar with the judging sheets and scoring process. 

Having said that, it is a shame what the judges are doing to BC this year. I have watched closely all season and have seen the bias that is so obvious. It appears to me the judges have a grudge of some sort against them. Is it the guard outfits?  I read the corps changed to longer shorts due to complaints about a little butt cheek or two showing. Is it because the judges believe it is destiny for BD and SCV to be fighting it out during their anniversaries?  Maybe it is because they don't have enough pretty colors. I noticed BD has pink in their uniforms. That certainly must be worth an extra 3 or 4 points in visual. It apparently outweighs the extreme drill design BC is marching. 

Unfortunately, the scores are simply the opinion of a select few judges. They are human and have biases. This years "collective thought" appears to be against the Bluecoats. That truly is a shame given the energy and talent this corps has.  The message the judges are sending to all:  don't do anything risky, keep your drill simple and clean, focus on having a strong palette of color choices and color guard, both have more impact on your overall score then drill, brass, or percussion. Fast is old school. March slowly and precisely. When playing, be sure it is loud and try to stand still while doing so. If you are going to march at a fast tempo, be sure to do it while not playing. And finally, never ever make the young women in the guard where something feminine. Modern women are not supposed to be feminine or sexy. 

Every show other than the top 2 are flawed. My opinion begins with skimpy short shorts and bras being about as non flattering as it gets. Time and a place, I just don't see the need... I find the sequins, suspenders, bowler hats (and their use) Quickly become a gimmick. Bloo's lunging and posing  are not nearly as effective as the body demands exhibited by BD. Not even close! I think the jagged stage  repeatedly interferes  with drill. The striped dancing stick remind me of the WB dancing frog.  Excuse (or not!) my somewhat pointed criticism. It's because I'm sick and tired seeing  BD, and more recently SCV bashed for they're vision.  Last year I loved Bloo's vision.  This year I find the jagged stage an eyesore. Do it up judges! "Midwest" I suggest your bias should be examined not the judges. Where, wear aside!

Edited by whitedj2002
:) btw flawed doesn't mean I don't enjoy or admire the efforts expressed! Flawed from a design/conceptual standpoint, none the less entertaining
  • Like 5