Favorite shows of 2017

Blue Knights: the growth of this corps over the last few years has been astounding. This is probably the first time they have my absolute favorite show for the season (even though I could technically be classed as a homer). Their musicality this season is unmatched, in my opinion.

Boston Crusaders: bold show design by the unquestionably most improved corps from last season. I'm enthralled by what they've put on the field. 

Mandarins: probably the best show design of the season, with captivating visuals and solid music, they've stepped into Academy's role as the beloved underdog. I would love nothing more than to see them in finals. 

Honorable mention to Santa Clara Vanguard. Their drill is phenomenal. Weber has made a masterpiece, with a bit of Gaines as garnish on top. Their mellophones are unreal. Too bad they amplify horns throughout the show, it really ruins the texture of the sound. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MyKids#1Fan said:

And PC sound of silence

Ohhh, and Cavies guard

• Like 1

I haven't seen anything live yet.  I have tickets to semifinals and am super excited. I requested off of work in November to go and I am looking forward to seeing corps that I have never seen perform before.  Also contemplating going to Massillon. 

1. The Bluecoats.  I love this show...more than last year.  It's so high intensity, fun, and jazzy.  Definitely a lot Wow! moments in the show.  I really hope they can clean their performance and medal. I don't have the addiction to it that I have of Kinetic Noise yet...but I was more attracted to this show from the start.

2. SCV- very well written awesome show.  I am really excited to see them end their medal drought.  My only beef is I wish there were more brass.

3. Boston- I am not going to lie when I read their show description, saw their uniforms, and wiked games by Chris Isaac... I thought really?  I wasn't expecting it to actually work.  This show is definitely my favorite BAC show ever and I love how much they have improved.

4. BK- my top 5 list is almost never complete without BK in it.  Fantastic brass and percussion performance...great introspective music.

5. Blue Devils- They sound and look great this year.  I love how they enter the field, love the opener, the ballad is the kind of ballad you enjoy a good craft beer to. The trumpet feature is amazing and they exhibit fantastic tone control.  This show would be ranked higher but I find Rihanna completely unnecessary...and the closer is over the top and I am done with the show when the trombones start with the excessive glissandos. Still probably one of my favorite BD shows ever.

I am hoping that both music City and Jersey surf make finals... haven't ever seen either live and usually like their shows.

Also looking forward to the Academy, spirit of Atlanta, Oregon crusaders, and the Mandarins.

Edited by ThePlanets

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Don't tell anyone but BAC is my second favorite.  Just between you and me.  :ninja:

We won't tell a soul Terri. Your secret is safe with us here on the Internet. Promise. ( haha..)

Edited by BRASSO

I'd probably like the Couchmen more if they had better chairs and other furniture in their offerings this season. I do appreciate that most of their furniture is on the 1st floor however. Not a lot of climbing involved, nor needed.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

In no particular order:  Mandarins, Bluecoats, SCV, Crossmen, Troopers, Crown, Blue Devils.  I will say this that it's been a long time for me to say BD is one of my favorite shows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I would easily say my top 3 shows are The Cavaliers, SCV, and Bluecoats. These shows are extremely entertaining to watch.

I was going to say the exact same thing. You beat me to it! :)

• Like 1

In the spirit of DCI finals, I give you my 2017 finalists.  Finalist scores have been provided for fun - not based on actual performance, but based on my personal enjoyment for what they give on the field:

(By the way, there's a tie for 4th place.  As a result, there are 13 finalist this year - just because!

In 12 place, with a score 82.25:  Pioneer!!!  Making finalis for the first time in their history, Pio's rendition of Les Mis is one that draws my attention.  I will always love the music of Les Miserables no matter who performs it. Who can ever forget SCV's incredible version of Les Mis in 2014? Certainly not to the presentation and performance level of a traditional top 12 corps, but Pioneer brings heart and soul to their production.   Lost in much of the discussion on vocals this year, Pio's vocalist does a terrific job.   Well done, Pioneer.  

In 11th place, with a score of 82.283: Blue Stars!  Ah, those funky caption judges!  First Federal eeks out an 11th place finish with romances throughout literary history. It's always nice when a show blends a familiar concept that captures the audience on a trip through literary time.  Well done. Well played.

In 10th place, with a score of 84.125:  Crossmen!   Wow, that horn line is fun to listen to.  Music is captivating.  Props are simple, yet fun to look at.  They move them.  Stage them. Pass through them.   Color added to the end of the show really pops as it provides a great contrast to the show preceding it.  

In 9th place, with a score of 85.75:  Madison!  They sure don't look like the Madison Scouts, but who cares! The post-apocalyptic Scouts look terrific on the field.  Arguably the most stunning look of all this year.

In 8th place, with a score of 87.00: The Academy!  Just when you were about to write Academy off as a 1-year-wonder, back into finals they appear.  Anyone who previously moaned about their music or show either hasn't seen them lately, or are spoiled over the corps huge success from 2016.   I have to admit, when I saw Academy on Flo earlier this season, I wasn't blown away by them.  Seeing them in person brings a whole different perspective.  Love their show.  Music, costumes, and staging is fun. 

In 7th place, with a score of 88.75, the Cavaliers!  Typical energy that you expect from the Cavies is there.  What's back is a little mojo from 2011.   Men Are From Mars reminds us a little of Xtrardinary.  Fun show concept. Levity. THE PLANETS!, it's all there.   Cavies remind us of how basic and silly we can be and how self-important we can become.   Somehow, we survive in spite of ourselves!!

In 6th place, with a score of 90.175, Boston Crusaders!   Everyone likes to sit by a fire - just not in it. To all the folks who have complained that BAC has taken historical liberty with the Salem Witch Trials in that no one was burned alive there...  that's only because BAC, as old a corps as they are, were not in Salem, MASS at the time. If they were, I'm sure they would have found a way to have a fire, or two.   Great show!

In 5th place, with a score 92.85, Mandarins!  What a year for Manda, huh? I saw them live at NightBeat.  I marveled at the giant props (they even looked bigger up close).  Mandarins designed a CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER show.   If a top-tier corps had what they created, they'd be in contention.  Here'a hoping they make the real finals.   Mandarins DESERVE EVERY ACOLADE this year.  THE MOST ENJOYABLE SHOW of any corps on the cusp this year. 

In 4th place (tie) with a score of 94.00, The Cadets!  Perhaps I'm a sucker for color, emotion, flavor, visual stimuli... did I say MULTIPLE uniforms?   Geez, Cadets broke the bank this year on uniforms again - either that or they've got one heck of a uniform sponsor.   Every time I look on the field, they're wearing something else.   Easily one of the more layered shows this year. The Cadets are, once again, saving nothing in their closets.  They are throwing it down!

In 4th place (tie) with a score of 94.00, SCV!  Vanguard has it all this year.   The whole enchilada.  Last corps that was as good overall in my estimation would be Crown's 2015 Inferno.  This show has it all.  Visuallly compelling, musically incredible (and how the heck does that brass line make those sounds during the back 1/3 of their show? - WOW).  Great use of props and incorporating the marching members as human props.  

In 3rd place, with a score of 96.00, Carolina Crown!  The first 5 minutes of Crown's show this year could have been named "Relentless" as last year's show was called.   The brass truly plays in a relentless fashion during the 1st half of the show before changing roles with the vocallst for the ballad.  Yes, vocals... Love the pedal basses, the rhythmic playing of brass during the drum feature, the voice, the reprieve, and, perhaps, sometthing a little more coming at the end of the week.  

In 2nd place, with a score of 98.00, The Canton Bluecoats!  Now, for all who can't stop comparing this show to last year... I will say I do not have a problem making the comparison.  In fact, in some ways, I like this show even more.    I think what does it for me is the music.   Arguably the best opener and closer this year in all of DCI.   Even the balllad brings us a tone and texture that is unique.    Love this show!  

In 1st place, with a score of 99.50, The Concord Blue Devils!  Like a little kid at Christmastime, not wanting to sneak a peek at my presents before Christmas, I really didn't want to spoil the surpirise by watching BD on video before seeing them live.  My lousy willpower got the best of me and watched and listened to BD countless times before seeing them in person for the first time Sunday at NighBeat.  As a result, my expectations were rather high.   In spite of those high expectations, BD exceeded them.  Truly an amazing show.  For me,  I would put this one right up there with Felliniesque - and that's high praise because I consider BD's 2014 show to be among the finest of all time. 

Congratulations to all corps for their hard work and incredible creations!   They are all winners as we, as fans, are.  

Cheers!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 9