Clifton: Part Dos - August 2, 2017

34 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Pretty impressive tenaciousness on the field of competition when on the road the entire time, imo.

Haven't the majority of WC corps been on the road the entire time as well?

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Haven't the majority of WC corps been on the road the entire time as well?

No. Look it up yourself to self educate yourself on it, if you are so inclined. Just go to all the DCI website, look at all the Corps, double check their home base with their show schedule and you'll find that the vast majority of WC Corps have already performed in their home states, or home regions by August 2nd. Good luck with the learning exercise should you decide to self educate and confirm this for yourself.

Edited by BRASSO

I'll take your research as accurate B, but I imagine, all corps being considered, a high percentage of mm live in another state or country.   I don't think having already marched in their corps home state makes a dam change in how their performing anyways.  It's just another town/city on their exciting DCI journey in 2017.

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Are they not more of an all age corps?

They are, but DCI allows international corps to compete against Open Class corps for a placement and using the same score sheets, with the stipulation that, if those corps don't meet all the requirement of DCI corps, they won't displace a DCI corps. So if The Company qualifies for O.C. Finals, then there will be thirteen corps not twelve at Finals. This is what happened in the past with corps such as Taipei Yuehfu and Jubal. Both corps also had overage members. Jubal is one of The Company's main opponents in Drum Corps Europe. (The Company's other big rival is Kidsgrove Scouts, who will be visiting the U.S. for the fourth time in the past seven years at the end of this month--but on each of their visits, they've opted to appear in DCA. Drum Corps Europe championships are not until late September.)

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

while I was not on the dield..I heard things from cadets brass that make me question their brass score...brass is my thing...bac was way better brass...but hey the judge felt diff..so it is what it is..congrats cadets..no slight just my live opinion..bias aside

The judging experience on the field is very different from what we hear in the stands. You are hearing the bits and pieces of each section you are in front of, and the total performance may be quite different upstairs. 

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Congratulations to SCV

And Boston.... Goodness, gracious, great balls of FIRE !!... broke 90.

They deserved it. They are really excellent this year. Kudos to them. They are putting out a great "Gino" sound.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Tough panel tonite in Clifton. N.J, imo.... only Boston ( 1.00 ) and Surf ( .900)  got much of any jump in scores tonite. SCV only up .325

2 corps actually went down in scores a bit.  BK was down .200 and Cadets down .325.   

I agree. It is tough show-to-show, and I really have nothing to compare against as this was my one and only live viewing, but I think both BK and Cadets were lower than I would have expected, esp BK. A couple more tenths across the board to get BK in the 87'ish range is what I would have expected as a general comment. Cadets VA score was very low as compared to BAC, esp as the last two times head-to-head Cadets were over them in VA. Mascaro has had the Cadets very low in VA the past two times he has seen them.