What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

4 minutes ago, pudding said:

Cadets: When they play, they play excellently. The drumline is playing some really tasty stuff, and the brass is very powerful. However, they play only sporadically, between vocal features (which I will admit are nicely sung, and true to the source material. I just want to hear less voice and more brass). In addition, they are by far the worst offenders of goo, to the point where I couldn't help but say "holy s***" several times during the show". It's way too high, and completely detracts from the power of the brass. The very last chord is great, and then there's a huge synthetic bass that ruins it. Visually not very strong, lots of drill dirt. I shudder to think of all of the bruised shins from blind marching around the pews. My score: 88.7. 

Agree with much of what you say.  The horns play so little.  Yes, it is an overall trend in DCI, but seems more prevalent with Cadets this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liahona said:

crowd starting to thin out a bit..before cadets2

Last night I heard a couple kids call them the fake Cadets. Gotta love us young folk....

Everyone works hard.

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

my only beef tonight..was the utter disrepect some lady showed for our national anthem...I was in line to get in...national anthem started I stopped turned toward flag and put hand on heart..and didnt move..she pushed right through me..told her kids to keep moving and was so disrepectful...I stood my ground...silent...I waited dor anthem to be over and let her have an earful afterwords..she didnt even get very far in line...what has this country come to with this dissrepect..ao disgusted with her and the example she set for her kids..she should be ashamed...I mean seriously ashamed...ok my rant is over now...

I would have said something like, "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kaepernick."

• Like 3

cadet2 cumberbund falling off

Edited by Liahona

Crossmen: Very nice musically. I got nothing out of the visual program. I appreciated their dynamics and balanced brass sound. Battery had some interesting material, front ensemble less so. In terms of GE, I didn't get much out of the show. I think there were hints of an "imprisoned" theme at some point? I didn't understand the green or the balls. My score: 81.65. 

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind the 84.7 you scored PR over Crossmen out of curiosity. Based on the issues you saw on PR's performance vs the just not understanding what the green balls and overall esthetics of Xmen. I've been watching the shows on Flo when they air and I'm trying not to be biased, I just don't see a 3 point spread or more between these two. Maybe I'm missing something but since you've been so gracious to give them an actual score, I thought you could elaborate. Thanks so much! I'm always willing to learn more about the Marching Arts and scoring.

posted from the DrumScorps app

Just now, Liahona said:

cadet cumberbund falling off

bluecoat drops Hat...

5 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I would have said something like, "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kaepernick."

Is that supposed to be an insult? :34_rolling_eyes:

• Like 4