Whats your on favorite show?

Ok, so I know there has been threads like this before, and we can edit them into our profile.  I want ONE show.    What is your favorite show of all time?  I understand this is like picking a child, but I want to know.  It doesn't matter if youve marched it or not, what era, or what division.  Tell me your one favorite show.  Tell me ten things you enjoy about it.

Edited by BoaDci

Kinetic Noise. 

1.) Brilliantly utilized a completely minimalist book of source material, something that no other corps has ever done. 

2.) Brilliantly innovated the realm of possibility regarding electronic soundscape effects. The way that they manipulated sound in space was nothing short of genius. 

3.) Extraordinary percussion. Jeff Prosperie gave them first in percussion on Finals night. That's practically better than the Sanford. 

4.) The satellite trumpet feature in the Reich. 

5.) The transition from Mr. Maps to Dens. 

6.) Woods was beautiful, and was perfectly juxtaposed against the hyperactive body work. 

7.) The front ensemble was off the chain. What a brilliant pit book, with none of the nonsense "fake hard" parts that other group like to use (e.g. throwing octave on the outer mallets during an inner mallet run). 

8.) In my opinion, the strongest brassline they've had. The 2016 trumpets were better, but overall the 2015 brass line was stronger. 

9.) Managed to not only follow Tilt (one of the most popular shows of the 2010s), but actually exceeded it in terms of both depth of design and level of execution. 

10.) The props perfectly reflected the minimalist, transparent music, while also being versatile enough to meaningfully contribute to the visual package. 

Edited by pudding
  • Like 9

1993 Phantom Regiment. Was THE show that got me hooked on drum corps. Yeah, I got to know Star of Indiana 1993 and Cadets 1993 and love them both, but I was wide-eyed sitting in the floor totally enthralled by Regiment.

Good memories. Making me remember my first years of high school band and how I knew I would march drum corps one day.

(sorry I can't name 10 things)

Edited by fireshane1
  • Like 4

My "one" is Bluecoats 2014, "Tilt."

1. The source music. I knew from when they were announcing the four pieces over the offseason that this wouldn't be like any other Bluecoats show before it. Such an eclectic blend of cool pieces that I knew would translate well to the field.
  2. The props and field setup. I don't normally like tarps on a football field for a show, but this was by far the most creative use of it. And the scalene triangle props were used effectively throughout the show in every which way.
  3. The uniforms. I miss the years when the Bluecoats wore blue coats.
  4. The use of electronic soundscapes. They just used and layered them so effectively.
  5. The opener. It challenged everyone's expectations.
  6. The drum break. It was INTENSE.
  7. The ballad. One of my favorite ballads ever.
  8. The tuba feature in the closer. It was really fun.
  9. The final minute of the show, of course!
  10. For me, this show is the definition of a great 21st century drum corps show.
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

My "one" is Bluecoats 2014, "Tilt."

1. The source music. I knew from when they were announcing the four pieces over the offseason that this wouldn't be like any other Bluecoats show before it. Such an eclectic blend of cool pieces that I knew would translate well to the field.
  2. The props and field setup. I don't normally like tarps on a football field for a show, but this was by far the most creative use of it. And the scalene triangle props were used effectively throughout the show in every which way.
  3. The uniforms. I miss the years when the Bluecoats wore blue coats.
  4. The use of electronic soundscapes. They just used and layered them so effectively.
  5. The opener. It challenged everyone's expectations.
  6. The drum break. It was INTENSE.
  7. The ballad. One of my favorite ballads ever.
  8. The tuba feature in the closer. It was really fun.
  9. The final minute of the show, of course!
  10. For me, this show is the definition of a great 21st century drum corps show.

You know, I've always found it interesting that everyone seems to love Tilt as much as they do. I certainly enjoyed being fan favorite all season, and I recognize the ways that Tilt is both enjoyable to a casual fan and just deep enough for a more dedicated fan. To me, Tilt is a masterclass in more "traditional" drum corps show design, in terms of opener->drum break->ballad->closer, with appropriate build and climax in all movements. 

That said, and perhaps I'm just more familiar with the imperfections in the show than most, to me it's less unbelievably genius, and was executed less perfectly, than Kinetic Noise. If Tilt was a masterclass in the old style, then Kinetic Noise was a masterclass in the new style that has come to define the modern design aesthetic. 

• Like 1

Holy cow, this is hard...

But...

Blue Devils 1994.

1. Return of the Devils

First title in almost a decade. Great to see them win.

2. Source Material

Come on...Chick Corea, and a great interpretation of it.

3. New approach to guard staging

This is the game changer. For the first time in DCI history, the guard became more than the backdrop, and moved front and center. Modern drum corps staging owes a LOT to this show.

4. "My Spanish Heart" as a ballad.

Enough said. Beautiful music played beautifully.

5. Colorguard Costuming

I remember watching this show early in the season and looking at my friend next to me and saying, "What are they wearing? Is this for real?"

6. The Heartbeat

It is reiterated throughout the show, and reinforces the theme.

7. Night Streets

On point, rocking, and totally musically satisfying. 

8. Day Danse

See number seven.

9. Spanish Fantasy, Part IV

The ultimate BD closer.

10. Gold

First championship in eight years, and it began the run that they can possibly continue in a few weeks. 

Edited by jsd
  • Like 5