2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

Musically there is no denying BD is stellar. So, for me it comes down to how GE Visual and Visual Analysis are judged. 
Will it matter that BD doesn't traditionally march as much as the corps? If not, they win. If so, SCV will win. 

Although you could make the argument that because they are stationary playing a lot musically, would a judge consider that less demand and therefore give a lower Content score.

BD will continue to slay, especially with "Everything Must Change."  Unfortunately for SCV and those giving chase, nothing really changes and BD gets number 18.  SCV and Crown finish 2nd and 3rd.  

• Like 4

Placement 1-2: BD and SCV. I think BD takes it.

Placement 3-4: Crown and Bluecoats. I think Crown takes 3rd.

Placement 5: Cavies seem locked in for 5th, but a surging BAC could threaten that spot.

Placement 6-7: BAC and Cadets. I think BAC takes 6th.

Placement 8: BK to me seems like the strongest product in the 8-12 region, especially as they strengthen the visual program.

Placement 9: Phantom takes 9th, although a surging Xmen or BStars could threaten that spot.

Placement 10-11: Xmen and BStars. To me Xmen have the greater product but BStars have the greater room to grow so we'll see if they can pull it off.

Placement 12: I think Madison are strong enough to take 12th. Mandarins has the better design but Madison just has a more mature overall corps. If Mandarins sneaks in it'll be a last minute push similar to Crossmen 2012 or BAC 2016.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Musically there is no denying BD is stellar. So, for me it comes down to how GE Visual and Visual Analysis are judged. 
Will it matter that BD doesn't traditionally march as much as the corps? If not, they win. If so, SCV will win. 

Although you could make the argument that because they are stationary playing a lot musically, would a judge consider that less demand and therefore give a lower Content score.

Sums up my feelings....just have the impression without a little more visual meat at the end it may start to come across a little stale after three nights in Indy.  Maybe it's as simple as losing the white and adding a big splash of color...

1 minute ago, Sideways said:

Sums up my feelings....just have the impression without a little more visual meat at the end it may start to come across a little stale after three nights in Indy.  Maybe it's as simple as losing the white and adding a big splash of color...

They've been adding more meat already in rehearsal this week. More motion and visuals in the horns. Flags restaged and doing more/new work (while moving). Wings restaged and flowing into the center of the field. Lots more going on on top of the props near the end. 

I'm sure they know the music captions will be very close/split, so will most likely do everything they can to inject extra GE to bring it home. 

I need to see everyone in Allentown. My predictions are usually better when I experience everyone live, but if speculation can run wild, I'll put BAC in 5th, though catching Cavies will be a challenge. I'll hold off until I see BK tonight to decide whether they'll catch Cadets. Yes, Cadets have surged in finals week, but not in recent years, but this has not been a typical year for the Cadets, so you never know.

• Like 1

whoever scores highest wins...unless they have penalties that makes their score lower

5 hours ago, Sideways said:
  1. Blue Devils are in the control right now and musically they just overwhelm you with sound.  Everything Must Change is seriously one of the most impressive things I have ever heard.  Visually I can acknowledge how clean they are with all varieties of movement, dance, and drill.  That being said I am still wanting more a something more visually at the end in order to match the sound.  If they do not have any more tricks in their bag this might cost them the title...other than that this corps has all the swagger and confidence it needs this year.  Likely will fall to second with a ~5% of BC catching them at finals too.
  2. I will not call Santa Clara a dark horse since they have the total show this year but are not yet achieving at the same level as BD.  If this corps puts down couple clean runs in the next week and it is 1999 all over again.  The intensity is reaching a boiling point and you can tell their fans are just waiting to get smacked in the face with a fire hose!  Are those final chords from the brass ensemble quoting Send in the Clowns?  OMG!!!  SCV for the win.
  3. Carolina Crown - Almost feel bad for this corps after all the changes in the last year.  Strongest percussion section for them perhaps ever, brass is solid is ever, championship level brass line and book again, and finally a drill I can get excited about.  Then on the flip side the guard is in a "rebuilding" year and if there is one caption you do not want to be weak in at this level is color guard.  Vocalist....She does a fantastic job and it does fit with the show but it till drives me nuts in "for good," with how #### good that horn line it.  "No one to KNow one" I find her efforts much more in line with the piece and less a distraction.  Soloist of the years goes to the bottom bass...way to own those quarter notes!   With a clean guard this show should win but will likely fall to 4th as BC continues to clean.
  4. Bluecoats - This show is a worthy successor to Down Side Up.  You know what works for you and is just fresh enough (to me) to keep me from accusing you of being too formulaic.  Ballad is a little bit of boat anchor energy wise.  It is so pretty and the staging has improved a ton but does not quite deliver the needed emotional impact.  Color palette between the guard and horns/percussion hurts them a bit visually but cannot do much about that now.  Zombie Woof is fun and I want a little more from the Psychopomp reprise at the end.  Other than that you need to clean, clean, clean...and clean some more.  Coats ceiling is how much they clean up but will likely settle into 3rd...not bad after your first championship.
  5. Cavies - Not much to say here other than well done.  My gut says you are stuck in fifth no matter what at this point but who cares, this is a fun show and you are performing the snot out of it. Rep is there percussion and guard.  Continue to improve the horns and another solid concept and you will be back up on the podium soon enough.  Perhaps tone the cheese down a bit next year but might as well go all in for this year.  Reach into the DCA bag of tricks (Statesmen) and pull out some fire extinguishers for that My Way ending.  Add a trumpet soloist at the end and toss the horn into the stands! 5th is a great achievement this year.
  6. Crusaders - Again not too much to say here other than well done and you have exceeded all expectations this year.  Weird show and a bit controversial but it is well executed and written very smartly for a corps in transition (on the rise).  I do not care if you finish 6 or 7 this just finish strong and take pride in what the future has in store.  Likely will drop to 7th as Cadets clean up.
  7. Cadets - Huge transition for you this year and the design team has taken a lot of gambles in this production of Bernstein's Mass.  I'm simply thrilled that it is not a dumpster fire like last year's show.  My single largest complaint is the robes on the brass for so much of the show.  They look great and it seems like a good concept but I just want to see those Cadet feet!  On the flip side there are no bouncing plumes to distract us this year.  Vocals are well integrated and respectful to the original work and, while still not my favorite, presents well for this production.  There is more meat in this production than BAC but 6th or 7th place depends on cleaning.  History and pride will motivate this group into a 6th place finish.  It would take "divine" intervention to catch Cavies.
  8. Phantom and BK 
  9. Phantom and BK
  10. Bones and Blue Stars
  11. Bones and Blue Stars
  12. Madison and Mandarins
  13. Madison and Mandarins

Thank you for the kind words on cavies. It is an awesome time to be a cavies fan

• Like 2