The Massillon Knock Out August 7

Just now, XmenBonesRemain said:

There is some invisible ceiling at play here. It doesn't make sense.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I think several things come into play.  When did they perform? Who did they perform after? What groups are at the show?  If you look at all TOC shows the non G7/Top8  corps normally suffers an early performance time and is still lower in rankings giving judges a cushion.  Stars and BK were at their own show with nonfinalists and both jumped almost 3 points.

57 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

The guard scores are all over the place and very different from the last few shows. Very surprising.  

I'll say.

• Like 3

There is some invisible ceiling at play here. It doesn't make sense.

I think several things come into play.  When did they perform? Who did they perform after? What groups are at the show?  If you look at all TOC shows the non G7/Top8  corps normally suffers an early performance time and is still lower in rankings giving judges a cushion.  Stars and BK were at their own show with nonfinalists and both jumped almost 3 points.

Exactly, the Crossmen seem to make .4 advances while Blue Stars at other shows advance 2 full points.

Seems like judging panels with agendas to me.

Exactly, the Crossmen seem to make .4 advances while Blue Stars at other shows advance 2 full points.

Seems like judging panels with agendas to me.

or less competition.  Save the numbers for the top groups at the show.  Since BK and Stars were the only finalists you can see the score bump.  Here you have 8 top 12 groups you gotta be number conscious or BD 14 happens.  Was it the cleanest show ever with no error?  No but it was that much better than the others that caused them to get such a high score.  Number management is key.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

It looks sparkling from up top, especially when side by side with Crown. I must be missing something that is only seen at field level...

I watched SCV rehearse in Columbia a few weekends ago. They are the only live drum corps I've seen this summer (maybe the first live performance I've seen in two or three years, actually). While I'm probably out of touch, I was left with two impressions: I didn't think the visual demand - from a content standpoint - was consistent enough through the show to score high (on this account, the subsequent show sheets have proven me wrong consistently), and what demand was there wasn't being achieved uniformly across the ensemble -- even for accounting mid-July dirt. My opinion (which means squat, especially since I know nothing about drums and flags) was that if SCV missed out on gold, it would be because of less-than-stellar individual marching technique. 

6 minutes ago, 1corpsfan said:

Sorry, but I liked Crossmen way more than Phantom. 

I know I'm just a Crossmen fangirl, but I don't get it.

In particular, the Music Analysis scores were very different from Allentown:

Allentown

Judge:  Kennedy

Phantom:  17.7

Crossmen:  17.8

Tonight:

Judge:  Moddison

Phantom:  17.8

Crossmen:  16.9

I don't get it.  

Pretty disheartening for sure.

1 hour ago, 1corpsfan said:

Sorry, but I liked Crossmen way more than Phantom. 

Sorry, but I liked PR way more than Crossmen. But these shows are truly apples and oranges, so it's a preference thing. I prefer a classic, uncluttered drum corps show to a LOT of props that to my eyes, make the field too busy. I mean, the props by design are "busy". PR, for me is just fast, strong, and lots of gorgeous flag work.  But, I do love Crossmen's music.  A lot!

• Like 1