The Massillon Knock Out August 7

I had a great time last night in Massillon! It was an outstanding show and pretty much everyone brought their A game. True, the seating is a little cramped but otherwise it's a great environment with a super receptive crowd. I will definitely put this stop on my tour schedule next year. 

Significant memory: in order to get a jump start on the exiting pile up, I made my way down before the end of Bluecoats' encore, so I got to experience The Boxer while standing directly in front of the horn cluster. I can die happy.

• Like 5

Parking was not a major problem as stated, but getting in and out can be.  The concessions and restrooms were indeed a big problem.  Not sure why one of the security folks would have said "just grab an empty seat."
I know at the Dublin show there was a similar problem in that people said they were told only the center section was "reserved" seats.  (Uh...if your ticket has section, row, seat #...it's probably not general admission.)

The new Hall of Fame stadium is hosting a Bands of America event in a few weeks.  We will certainly be watching more than just the bands :lle:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, FLBuzcut said:

I made my way down before the end of Bluecoats' encore, so I got to experience The Boxer while standing directly in front of the horn cluster.

I can die happy.

Deaf, but happy!  Bluecoats can break concrete on that tune!

• Like 3

On 8/6/2017 at 8:55 PM, IntercalaryTurtle said:

Hey my old high school band was there! Didn't get to see them but I'm sure they were great

I found out the band I was referring to was Jackson HS, 250 strong.

Spent a week in Ohio doing all of the HOF events, the Rock and Roll Museum and the Indians-Yankees game.  My last event was the show last night.  Wow, that place was packed especially at the main entrance and at the souvenir stands.  Being near the top of the stadium, I had great views and what seemed like great sound though I wonder how much the speakers and the roof might have contributed to keeping the volume inside the stadium.  I was really impressed with Boston since seeing them in June and the Cadets and Cavaliers both grew on me since the start of the season as well.  My brother attended a show with me for the first time in probably 30 years and he described the shows now being more of a Cirque du Soleil  feel with the props and dancing and story lines.  He didn't look at it in a bad way just different from when I marched and was surprised how professional every show looked.  He did ask though why there were so many mics and relayed to me how that could be judged fairly unless everyone is using the exact same equipment and parameters of the electronics.  He did ask if DCI would have a best sound man award which made me chuckle.  A great night of drum corps, but my only concern was it took forever to get to the top rows of the stadium and I didn't dare leave at intermission.  I didn't want to miss anybody.  Maybe the HOF stadium in Canton is a better choice in the future.  No Indy for me this year as this week and the Masters in April ran me into five figures.  

• Like 4

On 8/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, barigirl78 said:

The Crossmen begin with the Question Mark that ended the 1992 show.

Also a reference to Edward Nigma.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:24 AM, jwillis35 said:

I say this not because Bluecoats are not happy with Massillon, but more so because the new Tom Benson Stadium is situated next to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. If Bloo and the PFHOF are going to continue to share the sponsoring of this show, then I cannot see how it doesn't move. The PFHOF will want visitors and DCI fans to be near the Hall of Fame. It just makes sense. But I know Bluecoats will likely scout the stadium down to the "t" and consider all things, like traffic, parking, warm-up areas, accessibility issues, entrances and exits, etc. 

When Crown moved from the Charlotte War Memorial to the Wake Forest Stadium in Winston-Salem it made a WORLD of difference for that show.  Attendance has been through the roof and their VIP option is one of the best DCI viewing experiences I have ever had. I can see Bloo benefiting from a similar move to a newer stadium exponentially as well.  

Edited by Kevin.
  • Like 3