Why Jagged Line is actually brilliant

15 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

While I do not disagree with your statement as far as having to read a 15 minute bio about a 12-minute show, this actually isn't true of the 2017 Bluecoats. Last time I checked the Bluecoats were crowd favorites,  

I have stood and cheered for many a Corps over the years where I didn't have a clue what the show was all about. The spectacle itself, the performers levels of performance, was sufficient to generate that enthusiasms for me. I suspect that I am not alone in this. However, it is far. FAR greater when a Corps has a theme with a theme/ message that is clear, cogent, and understandable to most in the audience. But, imo, we will never get future clarity in Corps shows with messaging, if judges continue to reward shows on the GE sheets where even they themselves... in their private moments... will tell us they themselves didn't really understand what the theme and its messaging was. The judges LOVED a show ( with their submittance of their score ) yet also didn't have much of a clue what the show was all about themselves. This might not seem odd to those of us devotees in the activity. But it sure as heck must seem odd to most people that a Performing Arts activity is rewarding high scores in " General Effect ", when the real general effects are that few people... judges included in many cases... don't have a freakin' clue what the Corps chosen theme and its messaging was all about.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeBD said:

Actually I did.

I'm just tired of every other thread being about the Bluecoats.  

Ah. Well-played then. Good job keeping up the character.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Great satire! I read the first few paragraphs, rolled my eyes a bit, then zoomed down to the hidden content. You gave me a pretty good laugh! As you pointed out, this isn't a deep show and for that I am grateful.

Yup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

I have stood and cheered for many a Corps over the years where I didn't have a clue what the show was all about. The spectacle itself, the performers levels of performance, was sufficient to generate that enthusiasms for me. I suspect that i am not alone in this. However, it is far. FAR greater when a Corps has a theme with a message that is clear, cogent, and undserstandable to most in the audience. But, imo, we the audience will never get future clarity in Corps shows with messagings, if judges continue to reward showsx on the GE sheets where even they themselves... in their private moments... will tell us they themselves didn't really understand what the theme and its messaging was. The judges LOVED a show ( with their submittance of their score ) yet also didn't have much of a clue what the show was all about themselves. This might not seem odd to those of us devotees in the activity. But it sure as heck must seem odd to most people that a Performing Arts activity is rewarding high scores in " General Effect, when the real general effects are that few people... judges included in many cases... don't have a freakin' clue what the Corps chosen theme and its messaging was all about.

I get what you're saying, but the Bluecoats staff can perfectly explain this show to you. They never set out to create a theme. End of story. There is none. It's a concept show. It's about fun music and showmanship. To the audience the show can be whatever they want it to be. A night at the club, a musical, or just great music to cool visuals.  In this case it's not a matter of Bluecoats staff not knowing what they did. They did exactly what they set out to do. It worked and the crowds are going nuts. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, if you have to take that much time to explain someone's show so that we 'get it', THAT is the problem. We/I don't want the dead seas scrolls of what the show represents, and thus my issue with a lot of the shows today. I'm not interested in your attempt at 'educating' me. In fact, that will turn me off your show in a heartbeat. Yes, I'm a dinosaur, and proud of it. If I like what you're doing, the 'why' behind it isn't really necessary, to me.  

19 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I get what you're saying, but the Bluecoats staff can perfectly explain this show to you. They never set out to create a theme. End of story. There is none. It's a concept show. It's about fun music and showmanship. To the audience the show can be whatever they want it to be. A night at the club, a musical, or just great music to cool visuals.  In this case it's not a matter of Bluecoats staff not knowing what they did. They did exactly what they set out to do. It worked and the crowds are going nuts. 

I love the Bluecoats show. One of my favorites of this season. My comments were more of a general nature re, Corps themes. messaging. In general, most people.. judges included.. don't have a clue on what many of these Corps shows are all about. I  " get " that some Corps shows ( Bluecoats this season for example ) are " concept shows". But many Corps have " storyline " shows.  Corps should not have " themes " at all, imo... unless in the end, such " themes " are clear and understandable to both judges and audiences alike. DCI has a long ways to go to bring us  " enlightenment " regarding this. We are still in the Dark Ages here regarding shows making sense to most people without requiring guesswork and/ or long multi paragraph explanations on what the Corps theme/ messaging MIGHT be..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

"but I suspect that most here will chuckle (or fume) and move on." 

I guess.