BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

Seriously, if you want to hear a really good bugle line, check out the Commandant's Marine Drum and Bugle Corps this year.   I've seen them a number of times over the years, but this year's show is the best I've seen from them.    The music is excellent and they sound more powerful than I've heard from them in recent memory.    I'm glad I stuck around for them at the end of NightBeat last Sunday.   Check them out if you can.  

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

As for wanting bugles back?  Listen to that Crown horn line and tell me you really want those bugles!    I'lll take the Bb's in tune over the G Bugles any day.    Now, I bet with today's technology and design, a bugle could be made far superior than those of yesteryear.   

But, nostalgia aside, bugles willl NEVER, EVER become the norm again in drum corps.  It's just not economicallly feasible for drum corps en masse to use them.    Corps with sponsorships get their horns at a pretty decent discount and then sell them at a profit when they're done with them.    There is a market for the instruments they sell.  For bugles?   Unless the schools start marching bugles, you can forget that one.

Lastly, if there was ever a show that would be incredible with the use of bugles, it would be the Blue Devils this year.   But even the Blue Devils with their bankroll, didn't fork out the dough for bugles.  I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider it for Metamorph.   Imagine how incredible it would have been for BD to come off the line with bugles and them transition to Bb's!  

Sorry, I think this ship has sailed and not coming back.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, denverjohn said:

I love how they hit those high notes :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Lastly, if there was ever a show that would be incredible with the use of bugles, it would be the Blue Devils this year.   But even the Blue Devils with their bankroll, didn't fork out the dough for bugles.  I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider it for Metamorph.   Imagine how incredible it would have been for BD to come off the line with bugles and them transition to Bb's!  

I was just thinking about this earlier today! The blue devils could easily transition between the two on their stair props! It would be a great homage to BITD.

I also think they can easily transition instruments for the ballad underneath the jagged line. Corps are switching from French horn to Mello and/or from baritone or euph to trombone quite often during shows now so why not switch to G for a piece then switch back to Bb? I see your point with resale value but  the corps could keep the G insturments and reuse them when appropriate for you know..GE

I do love the tambre the G bugles offer and I think they would be easier to tune with today's technology...but to totally switch back to them just doesn't make sense.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

I love G Bugles, many of my favorite shows used G bugles, but we need to ask which bugles.

in the 1970's you began to see improvements in the bugles. As the bugles began to improve, they were easier to keep in tune and the claim at the time was that part of the challenge was marching and keeping the bugles in tune while achieving volume.

Are we talking three valve, two valve, one valve and rotator, or just a rotator?

Finally cost. For corps who purchase new instruments each year and sell off their current instruments at the end of the season, this may not be a huge burden, but what about the corps that do not and will have to look at replacing their current brass line.

A photography comparison might help. I took up photography when film was still used. Digital was a novelty at best. Film and processing were reasonably priced.  My skill was better when I had to get that shot without the possibility of computer enhancements. I only went digital because it was easier to use for publications at a school. Would I love to use film again, yes, but between the price of film and processing, it's about $40 a pop. I also would not know if I captured that one time only moment that is possible with digital, and as anyone who takes photos of drum corps knows, digital is much more convenient than the one, possibly two good shot days of film. 

15 hours ago, BoaDci said:

They never left....

Image result for bugles chips

These Bugles do remind me of drum corps. Though I'm flying this year, in the past I have driven from Massachusetts to Indy, and Bugles are very easy to grab while driving.

• Like 2