BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

14 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I don't know . . . . those old Hy Dreitzer-arranged, New York Skyliners lines were rather stunning to say the least.

"Hy Drietzer":

The late great and much missed Mr Drietzer was our arranger-instructor "Back in the Day"  (65-66) and is on record as stating that he didn't care how many valves were put on the old "G" bugles but that the horn itself should be kept in "G" as that was the identity of drum corps.  The man knew a thing or two about drum corps arranging, and the high brass award at DCA Finals is named in his memory.

Those "G" hornlines and their soloists needed no 'amplification' or staging.   Hawthorne's alumni corps, the Skyliner alumni,  Boston Crusaders seniors,  Hanover Lancers  and others are doing a rather good job of "Projection" without the use of microphones.......:thumbup:

Elphaba       :flower:

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Sorry to hear that.  There's a lot of angery going around and it tends to gravitate to these Forums in late July and early August.  Might I suggest a Snickers?

I'm outta here. 

HANGRY!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I mean corps are starting to use electronics to bolster their hornline's sound. It really doesn't get much worse than this

Woodwinds.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I'm not even really arguing that. The activity is dying and in my mind the downward trend started around when the switch happened and as more of these electronics are incorporated into shows that trend will only continue, mark my words

20597219_10155545528074785_1753726657668

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Stu said:

So, flutes and saxophones are wind instruments made of.... wood?

I get the joke, but you know what I was trying to say. :tongue:

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I get the joke, but you know what I was trying to say. :tongue:

It was a joke; sort of.  But think about this: Percussion wooden bar marimbas and metal bar vibes have been allowed in a Drum and Bugle Corps for a very long time now without them being 'Drums'. Bugles stopped being real 'Bugles' once valves were added, not to mention the current use of trombones. So if you are coming from a purist point of view that argument has not held water since before the 1970's.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Woodwinds.

That's worse all right!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It makes absolutely no sense financially to move back to G bugles, nor does it make sense from an education perspective. It will never happen, it's time to move on. 

It made no financial sense to move AWAY from G bugles.

• Like 2