BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

18 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

As for wanting bugles back?  Listen to that Crown horn line and tell me you really want those bugles!    I'lll take the Bb's in tune over the G Bugles any day.    Now, I bet with today's technology and design, a bugle could be made far superior than those of yesteryear.   

But, nostalgia aside, bugles willl NEVER, EVER become the norm again in drum corps.  It's just not economicallly feasible for drum corps en masse to use them.    Corps with sponsorships get their horns at a pretty decent discount and then sell them at a profit when they're done with them.    There is a market for the instruments they sell.  For bugles?   Unless the schools start marching bugles, you can forget that one.

Lastly, if there was ever a show that would be incredible with the use of bugles, it would be the Blue Devils this year.   But even the Blue Devils with their bankroll, didn't fork out the dough for bugles.  I'd be surprised if they didn't at least consider it for Metamorph.   Imagine how incredible it would have been for BD to come off the line with bugles and them transition to Bb's!  

Sorry, I think this ship has sailed and not coming back.

G bugles weren't in tune?  Jim Ott is laughing at you from heaven.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

It made no financial sense to move AWAY from G bugles.

? Of course it did. The market for G bugles was finite. The resale market was even more so.

The percussion companies or the corps themselves could re-sell the drums a corps used to bands, but the bugle companies never could. That, more than anything, was the death knell for G bugles.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 5

BRING BACK THE VELVET KNIGHTS

DCI IS TOO SERIOUS:cheer:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

20597219_10155545528074785_1753726657668

This is easily the best post in this whole dumb thread 

• Like 6

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:53 PM, GlassmenBtone said:

I KNOW SOME OF YOU MISS IT TOO, PRESS F TO REMEMBER SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE BUGLE LINES!

Image result for spirit 1982 bugle

Please don't start off with a photo of old school SOA. Gets me depressed. (And angry) 

SEC Football. (70's-90's) 

Tennis/Golf matches. (2000-2010)

Marching Theater, Opera, Symphony, Ballet and Yoga. (2011-Current)     

That's both the Corps and the fans in the stands................

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:03 PM, Just Here said:

To take THE cause to the loss of bugles and the addition of synthesizers is terrible logic as electronic means have been used in all kinds of music types for decades and its influence in pop culture has only grown with time and acceptance.

NOT on a fricking football field!

• Like 1

So :angry::mad: to see the "Activity" totally taken over and dominated by the Artsy Fartsy Candy A WGI/BOA flock.:grrr:  

15 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

20597219_10155545528074785_1753726657668

You have inadvertently supported a position of mine concerning attendance numbers at marching arts events, and the best venues to hold the events. This photo is a sold out overflowing packed house!! It looks great and likely had a tremendous amount of energy for both the fans and the performers!! It represents the idea that the activity is supported by thousands of fans who will sell out stadiums!! Right? Right! But... look at this photo very carefully; it is the type of photo used by marketing experts; and it is all in picking the right stadium in order to maximize the optic 'perspective' of the fan numbers attending these events. Go ahead, look close at the upper corners of this photo and see the real reason this looks like a huge massive overflowing event.

Stu, I'm not getting the "flaw" you see in this photo.  That's from Saturday night in Allentown.  I've already seen several photos of the same evening. We can only estimate, and this being only one section of the crowd, but the total crowd (as seen in a different photo) gave me the impression the 2017 Allentown crowd was bigger than the 2016 Allentown crowd. A few hundred additional spectators (possibly more) chose not to even occupy their ticketed (assumed too low) seats.

Still, this is only one event.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 4:53 PM, GlassmenBtone said:

I KNOW SOME OF YOU MISS IT TOO, PRESS F TO REMEMBER SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE BUGLE LINES!

Image result for spirit 1982 bugle

Why not press G instead? :rolleyes: