BRING BACK BUGLES!!!

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

This photo is a typical marketing shot. It is cropped on either side which allows the mind to fill in the infinite directions left and right making it appear 'huge', it appears to be a sold-out stadium, which it may indeed be, but the upper corners of the photo show that this is likely a medium sized venue around 80 rows high and 125 rows wide (approx 10,000 seats). This photo would have a vastly different optic impact if it was shot further away as as an entire field area shot instead of the close-up cropped shot, or say this was 20,000 packed together fans in a 80,000 seat pro stadium with a photo showing the entire stadium as 3/4 empty. It is all in the composition of the shot that makes this look so impressive, not the number of people in the shot.

That stadium is Allentown. J Birney Crum holds 15000 according to Wikipedia. The lower level is much wider and taller than the upper level. This is what the audience looked like last year:

SSEUSZOZBKGTRBM.20160807052947.jpg

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 4

if you go on DCP Facebook you'll see shots from Saturday......and it was past the goal lines low and even further out up high. As someone who has been to most years of East in that stadium, pre and post renovation, as well as DCA and band stuff, that may be the fullest I've seen it since the 80's. the lines at the gate pre-show Saturday to get tickets was long you had to cut thru to get to the line to get in

• Like 3

Just now, Spandy said:

This is Allentown. J Birney Crum holds 15000 according to Wikipedia. The lower level is much wider and taller than the upper level. This is what the audience looked like last year:

SSEUSZOZBKGTRBM.20160807052947.jpg

Yes, both this stadium and the one in the other photo are great venues for DCI. That us also my point. The 2008 DCI finals was one of the most electric nights for fans, not just because of the reaction to PR, but because of the venue itself. The number of fans, optic wise live at the event, overflowed most of the stadium. It had the atmosphere of sold-out standing room only and no matter where you ventured to go there were elbows rubbing elbows. The same number of fans in the massive oil can or any other pro football stadium allows for the live optics of wide open empty space and diminishes that feeling of impressive sold-out electric excitement. DCI works well at hs and smaller college stadiums for local events and medium to big University stadiums for major events. They have enough fan numbers to make those venues 'electric'. But DCI does not have enough fan base to make the oil can anywhere as electric feelung as the stadium was at IU in 2008.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes, both this stadium and the one in the other photo are great venues for DCI. That us also my point. The 2008 DCI finals was one of the most electric nights for fans, not just because of the reaction to PR, but because of the venue itself. The number of fans, optic wise live at the event, overflowed most of the stadium. It had the atmosphere of sold-out standing room only and no matter where you ventured to go there were elbows rubbing elbows. The same number of fans in the massive oil can or any other pro football stadium allows for the live optics of wide open empty space and diminishes that feeling of impressive sold-out electric excitement. DCI works well at hs and smaller college stadiums for local events and medium to big University stadiums for major events. They have enough fan numbers to make those venues 'electric'. But DCI does not have enough fan base to make the oil can anywhere as electric feelung as the stadium was at IU in 2008.

What does this have to do with the use of "bugles?"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sorry if you misunderstood. I was saying that this IS the stadium from the other picture. You see the edges of the upper deck, but you don't see that the lower deck is three times as wide, and as Jeff was saying was full of enthusiastic audience members past the endzones.

Edited by Spandy

3 minutes ago, Spandy said:

Sorry if you misunderstood. I was saying that this IS the stadium from the other picture. You see the edges of the upper deck, but you don't see that the lower deck is three times as wide, and as Jeff was saying was full of enthusiastic audience members past the endzones.

Gotcha; the composition of the first photo still stands though to support my point. Thousands of people packed together filling a medium size stadium, or a close-up of people packed together no matter the venue size, is more impressive than showing the same number in a wide shot at a 70,000 seat venue where the stands are 3/4 empty. And like I also stated, the electric atmosphere at a sold-out medium sized stadium is way more intense than the same number of people in a place that is 3/4 empty.

18 minutes ago, Just Here said:

What does this have to do with the use of "bugles?"

If that is your interest then go back earlier than that; what did the photo which sparked my comment have to do with bugles?

Edited by Stu

Forget about the G Bugles; Bring back the Glassmen!

Or to follow the opening theme of the thread

BRING. BACK. THE. GLASSMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think that's a sentiment we can all get behind, not some silly theory that G bugles sound louder or better that Bb trumpets)

On 8/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, BoaDci said:

They never left....

Image result for bugles chips

They, and cheese puffs, were my favorite as a kid.  And now. LOL.

• Like 2