Allentown - Combined Recap

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

No real surprises.  I suspect that when they all get to Indy the GE gap may tighten between the top 4.   Some of the performance gaps may tighten as well as they will alll get a read on the same night.   My guess is there will be 1.5 pts from 1-4.  BD looks to be the odd-on favorite for 1 now.  Crown will give SCV a run for silver.  Bloo is kind of a wild card.  I don't believe they will be so far back in GE.   I don't agree with how they are being scored, but I'm not wearing a green shirt.   

As for the best battle-in-the making, it's Cadets and Boston (of course).  My money is on The Cadets in the 6th spot. But BAC may very well hold on to it.  Wouldn't be surprised either way.   

Overall, the shows are fun.  But not sure if we're going to see much in the way of surprise in placement movement.   I hope I'm wrong, because I love surprises!

I still believe SCV will win the gold. It's like no one wants to be that judge to put them over the top, but once they do land at 1, they will stay there.

While I don't care for the design at all, Crown will win the bronze. Judges have had more than enough time to decide what they do and don't like about Bluecoats, and a one point gap this late in the game won't be made up. I don't agree, and I don't think most fans agree, but the judges judge and they have spoken.

Cavaliers will take a solid fifth. Probably by ~1.5 pts.

Sixth and seventh will be Boston or Cadets. My bet is solidly on Boston, though the gap may be quite narrow. Hopkins will keep pouring on the cheese whiz, because that's what he always does. Hopefully no more Facebook lectures. 

Knights just might take eighth yet. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I still believe SCV will win the gold. It's like no one wants to be that judge to put them over the top, but once they do land at 1, they will stay there.

While I don't care for the design at all, Crown will win the bronze. Judges have had more than enough time to decide what they do and don't like about Bluecoats, and a one point gap this late in the game won't be made up. I don't agree, and I don't think most fans agree, but the judges judge and they have spoken.

Cavaliers will take a solid fifth. Probably by ~1.5 pts.

Sixth and seventh will be Boston or Cadets. My bet is solidly on Boston, though the gap may be quite narrow. Hopkins will keep pouring on the cheese whiz, because that's what he always does. Hopefully no more Facebook lectures. 

Knights just might take eighth yet. 

Aww, you mean my Jagged Line manifesto won't be enough to win the judges' hearts?

• Like 4

Top 12 looks about locked in now... Madison securely in.. Mandarins out.

Mandarins finished 20th in Percussion with Jeff Prosperie... behind Genesis, Cascades and several others. Perc Judge # 1 had Mandarins 19th in Drums... so Percussion alone takes the Mandies out of  much of a chance at making Finals this season. (  Mandies Brass in 17th). Still a great season for themselves however. Visuals/ Guard gave them an early shot of making it this season, so they do know what sections they'll need to shore up if they want to be back in a Top 12 run next summer.

13 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Top 12 looks about locked in now... Madison securely in.. Mandarins out.

Mandarins finished 20th in Percussion with Jeff Prosperie... behind Genesis, Cascades and several others. Perc Judge # 1 had Mandarins 19th in Drums... so Percussion alone takes the Mandies out of  much of a chance at making Finals this season. (  Mandies Brass in 17th). Still a great season for themselves however. Visuals/ Guard gave them an early shot of making it this season, so they do know what sections they'll need to shore up if they want to be back in a Top 12 run next summer.

That Mandarin show is a nicely designed as anything on the field this year.  I bet they spent as much on props and show-related stuff as any top six drum corps this year.  What may keep them out of finals is simply the performance end of things.  I'm sure the kids are proud of what they've accomplished already this year.  That will bode well for them in the off season as they build for next year.   But this year's not done yet.   I still think that if they can put it together better musically, they could mak.e the jump to 12th.   Madison has widened the gap somewhat,  but still are not as clean as they should be either.    Crazier things have happened.   

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

That Mandarin show is a nicely designed as anything on the field this year.   What may keep them out of finals is simply the performance end of things.   

Yes.. Brass/ Percussion.. performance related. Nicely designed show from them however, just as you said.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

I've put the data for both Friday and Saturday events in Allentown to produce a combined recap - including ordinal values for each subcaption.

You'll find it here:  Allentown 2017 - Combined Recap

Enjoy!

-john

JohnD,

Thank you so much for this combined recap. We do appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Michael

12 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

That Mandarin show is a nicely designed as anything on the field this year.  I bet they spent as much on props and show-related stuff as any top six drum corps this year.  What may keep them out of finals is simply the performance end of things.  I'm sure the kids are proud of what they've accomplished already this year.  That will bode well for them in the off season as they build for next year.   But this year's not done yet.   I still think that if they can put it together better musically, they could mak.e the jump to 12th.   Madison has widened the gap somewhat,  but still are not as clean as they should be either.    Crazier things have happened.   

I don't know about the percussion side, but I do know that the brass line has a lot of young, inexperienced kids - quite a few of them high schoolers. The good news is that this could bode well for them over next couple of seasons if they stick around. And I agree, a one-plus point deficit isn't going to be easy to overcome, but on the other hand not impossible. 

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

I've put the data for both Friday and Saturday events in Allentown to produce a combined recap - including ordinal values for each subcaption.

You'll find it here:  Allentown 2017 - Combined Recap

Enjoy!

-john

Did you notice while you were doing this that the two DCI.org recaps had the GE judges in different orders:

August 4th recap:

Chumley

Kelly

Hestin

Davis

August 5th recap:

Kelly

Hestin

Chumley

Davis.