2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

5 minutes ago, Land of Tim said:

I have a bad, er touchy, question, so don't please don't flame me.

Disclaimer: I'll preface this by saying that over the years, I have been a Cavies fan, but am truly a drum corps nut and have loved shows by every corps out there. This year, I greatly appreciate each of the top five and many of the other corps shows (Mandarins rock this year and I can find something that impresses me about most of the shows). I am blown away by the design of SCV's show, their volume, and their ability to move and play musically.  Crown's brass is tops hands down and they move all over the field.  Cavies' show is unique and is starting to show some oomph brass wise; their percussion and guard are stellar and they sell their show. Bluecoats have given swagger new meaning, and I love their soloists.  Blue Devils sound amazing--their soloists also are phenomenal, and I agree that they are performing/executing at a high level.  I could go on about the others below the top 5, but hopefully, you see that I truly do appreciate what each corps brings uniquely to the activity each year.

So, touchy question, and I know it's been raised before:  Is it just me, or do the Blue Devils, who play amazing, not really "play and move" at the same time very much?  Every corps finds a way to stage and let their brass/percussion handle the hardest licks in that staged position, but I feel like BD just moves a lot, then parks and plays (outta this world!), then moves some more, then parks and plays.  What am I missing? I think that Crown and SCV both move and play better (at the same time), SCV has a design that's amazing, Bluecoats uses their "stair" props in a much more integrated fashion that BD, etc.  I'm not trying to diss BD, because I truly love their show, but I don't see how SCV is not passing them. 

I welcome your thoughts and reactions. 

Watch it from beginning to end in context. Jay Murphy does not write/design "moves", but creates a show that is in constant motion from beginning to end from at least one of the elements. It is a process of seeing the "forest for the trees". Mr. Murphy may not offer a lot of trees, but the freaking forest is amazing. 

• Like 2

I had a friend over to watch the live stream today, pretty much all of it until the last section that wasn’t on FloMarching.  It had been years since she had been to a drum corps show until going to the Vanderbilt show this year and she thoroughly enjoyed the Open Class shows and the World Class shows we got to see.  As friends, we talked freely about each corps and just naturally were talking about what we really liked, what gave us goosebumps, which corps parted our hair, etc.   We did notice when corps had intonation problems or the show seemed to drag, but not to dwell on it, just to mention it in passing.  Mostly we were just thoroughly astounded, delighted, and entertained by all the shows.  ALL the shows. 

Like several have already mentioned tonight, it would be great if tomorrow’s “talks” with each other could be without the rancor and we could just let all these great shows wash over us – and be hopeful about this generation that is showing such greatness and commitment on the field, in their relationships, and in their work ethic.  I love ‘em all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tim K said:

After 14-plus hours of drum corps in Lucas Oil Stadium, if you're overly negative, I'm not sure what you watched. Every corps in WC was stronger tonight than in Allentown, and while I was not in Michigan City, I was told by someone who was that every corps was as good or better. My only criticism is that it was hard to hear vocals and spoken word over some of the corps but since I'm not a huge fan of either, I did not see it as a major problem. 

Drum corps is getting better every year. I've loved almost every show since 2008 and the negativity is just insane to me. 

• Like 6

Ok friends. Help me out. I just got home after being unable to attend BL&L and I don't feel like sifting through 138 pages. I'm sure this has been covered to death and I'm sorry about that. What's with the Semis schedule tomorrow? Are Cascades legitimately playing tomorrow? Why is SCVC going on so early? Most of the bottom corps seem rearranged in performance order. Is the schedule just a misprint? Again, I'm sure this topic has been covered, I just couldn't immediately find an answer. What's going on?

Edited by Jake W.

Why does dci.org semi lineup list seattle cascades? I thought they didn't make it