2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

29 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Just home from the theater.  

Some thoughts:  I don't know if it was the theater's surround sound or the feed but the EQ was WAYYYY off.  Sub-woofers rattled the floor and dominated brasslines, esp. when synth had a heavy role in the bottom end.  It really affected some of the performances.  Like Mandarins for example.  Sound of Silence is one of my favorite ballads this year and it was all but drown out by overblown base.   When interviews were happening, all I could hear was the audience.  In spite of all of that, I had a fabulous time.

The corps that blew me out of my chair was.... the Cadets.  I absolutely fell in love with their show tonight.  

Sounded glorious at my theater - Lucas Oil Stadium -  must have been a broadcast issue.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DCIdad said:

Sounded glorious at my theater - Lucas Oil Stadium -  must have been a broadcast issue.

show off :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

89.150 Phantom
90.175 Blue Knights
92.263 The Cadets
93.200 Boston Crusaders
94.125 The Cavaliers
94.638 Bluecoats
96.363 Carolina Crown
97.000 SCV
97.363 Blue Devils

According to Boo on the DCI blog

Hmm, as someone else probably noted already (I'm still working my way through the thread), this is Boston's best score ever, beating their previous best of 92.450 set on Aug. 9, 2002.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Land of Tim said:

So, touchy question, and I know it's been raised before:  Is it just me, or do the Blue Devils, who play amazing, not really "play and move" at the same time very much?  Every corps finds a way to stage and let their brass/percussion handle the hardest licks in that staged position, but I feel like BD just moves a lot, then parks and plays (outta this world!), then moves some more, then parks and plays.  What am I missing? I think that Crown and SCV both move and play better (at the same time), SCV has a design that's amazing, Bluecoats uses their "stair" props in a much more integrated fashion that BD, etc.  I'm not trying to diss BD, because I truly love their show, but I don't see how SCV is not passing them. 

I haven't seen tonight's show, so I don't know about any recent changes they may have made, but yes, it is the opinion of many observers that BD does play while moving less than the other top four corps. But not a lot less: if you pull out the stopwatch, it turns out lots of corps play in motion less than you'd expect. And Bloo won last year while not moving & playing a lot. So what it means is that the judges don't care. Once you've proved you can do it, you're free to do other things, and the judges like that, even if some in the audience don't. Visually, I personally think that a fair amount of BD's movements, which are done very precisely, don't work well from a distance, i.e., from where the audience and judges are. But it is what it is.

• Like 1

I almost forgot...

Congratulations BAC for your HIGHEST score ever tonight in the DCI era! 

Congratulations BACCG for 3rd place tonight in guard...your highest placement in Boston's history in the DCI era!

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

Drum corps is getting better every year. I've loved almost every show since 2008 and the negativity is just insane to me. 

I think it has better years and worse years, some with more good shows and some with fewer. In my opinion, for example, 2008 was better than 2007 and 2009.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cube said:

Yep, PR's show is the only show I groan at and wait for it to be over, to be completely honest.

I will say though, that their hornline has come a long way from the beginning of the season, esp. the high brass.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The plume wiggling just drives me wacko -- so that may be part of it.

Homage to BD '08?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yeah - thing is once things get "locked in" in DCI it is VERY hard to change minds. I saw the same thing a few years at the top - like Crown 2009 - where it was obvious the scores weren't "catching up" to the performance.

I've been told repeatedly that one should never suggest that the judges make mistakes, because the implication is that sometimes the kids that won didn't deserve to.

• Like 2