2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

My theater had these issues as well and I thought it was just bad EQ in the surround sound.  These corps that rely so heavily on synth base need to sit in a theater and hear what that overblown bass does to their hornlines!  

So, after seeing several of these same posts, and matching my own experience at the theater, I conclude that it has to be in the broadcast mix that is being streamed to the theater and not just bad EQ in the theater's sound.  Also, having attended the show in Winston-Salem recently that was broadcast, I can attest that, live, the imbalances are not there. Of course, some corps do better at balancing electronics and mic'ed groups than others, but nothing was so distracting that you could not hear the brass on the field. The imbalance in the theater was so poor that it made the listening experience almost uncomfortable.  And I love to be blasted away by corps on the field!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candymancan said:

THIS!!  I was there and saw it live. I can't figure out why they aren't getting more credit. I know they are young but that Cadet show is really freaking good. And their guard is severely underrated. They were on fire tonight. Executed better than some others yet still getting dumped. I just don't get it. And I'm not a huge Cadet fan usually. 

I just saw Cadets 11 days ago in Winston-Salem, and even with the really poor sound imbalance in the theater, I can tell you that tonight's performance was much more tight, energetic and well-executed than in W-S.  So, they did step it up tonight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I haven't seen tonight's show, so I don't know about any recent changes they may have made, but yes, it is the opinion of many observers that BD does play while moving less than the other top four corps. But not a lot less: if you pull out the stopwatch, it turns out lots of corps play in motion less than you'd expect. And Bloo won last year while not moving & playing a lot. So what it means is that the judges don't care. Once you've proved you can do it, you're free to do other things, and the judges like that, even if some in the audience don't. Visually, I personally think that a fair amount of BD's movements, which are done very precisely, don't work well from a distance, i.e., from where the audience and judges are. But it is what it is.

Thanks for your perspective on this as well. I agree that many of the corps probably play less in motion than I would think or expect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I would think BD will pull away tomorrow night. They did NOT have a good run tonight.

This.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

No, the Cadets did that show in 13.  :whistle:

Some guy with blond hair was peering over my shoulder at Basey's and said the correct term was "side by side" and not "back to back" which I had written.  Then he disappeared into the crowd. 

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

I noticed a small amount of "smoke" coming out of a couple of other props.  Glad the staff crawled under the main prop to fix something before their show started.

Edited by cadetsmellomom34
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Some guy with blond hair was peering over my shoulder at Basey's and said the correct term was "side by side" and not "back to back" which I had written.  Then he disappeared into the crowd. 

Hope your wallet isn't missing.

• Like 2

The competitive aspect of DCI is becoming boring and predictable. Even with the recaps being all over the place last night, placements were the same as they have been since mid-season. Night after night some corps improve, some don't; however, the placements remain the same. Slotting is real folks! Flame away.

• Like 4