2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

1 hour ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

A couple points I wanted to make after reading through comments:

1. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but this place has became quite negative recently. I've only been using DCP for a few years, but I really feel bummed out.

I completely agree with you on the BD thing 

To your first point though, and this is more of a general statement not directed necessarily at you, I've noticed a lot of people coming on to this thread and saying they feel "bummed out" or that their "mood was killed" by reading this thread. I kind of scratch my head at that since this is a mostly anonymous Internet forum. It should not be affecting your life or feelings toward anything. If it does, put some people people on ignore Either some thicker skin is needed or a break from DCP in my opinion. 

I had a bad experience with a now banned and infamous crown homer, took a break for some time during the offseason, and my attitude on DCP changed a lot for the better from it. 

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

gotcha. No worries. I do understand the point you're making. 

I don't agree with a lot of the judging in visual this year... (or last) so I guess I'll just try to enjoy the show. I don't see the level of exposure in a lot of shows that I do in Bloo. But it's just a perspective - doesn't make it right or wrong obviously. Judges disagree - that's apparent

Some of my favorite "shows" this year aren't doing as well as I would hope (Regiment, Crossmen, BK, Cadets, Bluecoats) -- and I find 2 of the top 3 extremely boring and lifeless. So "what do I know" lol

It's like wine.  Forget what number the Wine Spectator puts on a wine, if you like it, enjoy it.  If you don't like it, don't buy it again.

But, this is a competitive activity and most corps are going to have weaknesses within the context of that activity.  If we don't talk about that stuff, what is left to talk about?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MidWAmericanArts said:

This was in reference to their lack of drill/movement. I've heard discussion of the weakness of it, but I'm not talking about that. I'm making the comparison to BD's ballad, which people have been very critical of the lack of drill.

Yeah it has been discussed. They sold out to an audio effect that never really worked. And it accentuated all the other issues. It's not so much what they are doing but rather that they spent two minutes of the show doing something that probably actually costed them points.

18 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Yeah it has been discussed. They sold out to an audio effect that never really worked. And it accentuated all the other issues. It's not so much what they are doing but rather that they spent two minutes of the show doing something that probably actually costed them points.

That's fair, I understand your point.

29 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I completely agree with you on the BD thing 

To your first point though, and this is more of a general statement not directed necessarily at you, I've noticed a lot of people coming on to this thread and saying they feel "bummed out" or that their "mood was killed" by reading this thread. I kind of scratch my head at that since this is a mostly anonymous Internet forum. It should not be affecting your life or feelings toward anything. If it does, put some people people on ignore Either some thicker skin is needed or a break from DCP in my opinion. 

I had a bad experience with a now banned and infamous crown homer, took a break for some time during the offseason, and my attitude on DCP changed a lot for the better from it. 

I understand what you mean. I'm not going for some over dramatic "I can't enjoy DCI when people are mean on DCP". I'm just trying to say that this is such an incredible activity. I want to be around and discuss it with people who love it, too. But when I get on here and most of the threads are about how (insert corps here) is getting shafted, the activity is ruined, judging is rigged.... I'm less enthusiastic and willing to participate in the discussion.

On a side note, you're one of my favorite users on the website, you keep doing you!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FancySnack said:

The phantomettes were phenomenal! No knock on the performers, but whoever designed this show may consider thinking about how they feel about women and female sexuality....just sayin 

I think this is a topic that many in the stands may have an opinion about but those opinions may not always perculate to a discussion thread.   The kids perform what the adults design - so absolutely no criticism of the performers.  You're spot on with your observation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here are the biggest discrepancies in placement today between the doubled GE judges:

7 places

GE2: Jersey Surf  -- Kennedy 25th vs. Howell 32nd

5 places

GE1: Vanguard Cadets  -- Sturgeon 14th vs. Hestin 19th

4 places

GE2: Cavaliers  -- Kennedy 2nd vs. Howell 6th

GE1: Crossmen  -- Sturgeon 9th vs. Hestin 13th

GE1: The Academy  -- Sturgeon 16th vs. Hestin 12th

GE2: Troopers  -- Kennedy 14th vs. Howell 18th

GE2: Blue Devils B  -- Kennedy 21st vs. Howell 17th

GE2: Music City  -- Kennedy 26th vs. Howell 22nd

GE2: Spartans  -- Kennedy 28th vs. Howell 24th

GE2: Seattle Cascades  -- Kennedy 22nd vs. Howell 26th

GE2: Gold  -- Kennedy 32nd vs. Howell 28th

GE2: Pioneer  -- Kennedy 31st vs. Howell 35th

3 places

GE2: Blue Stars  -- Kennedy 13th vs. Howell 10th

GE1: Mandarins  -- Sturgeon 13th vs. Hestin 16th

GE1: Troopers  -- Sturgeon 17th vs. Hestin 20th

GE1: The Company  -- Sturgeon 29th vs. Hestin 32nd

So the judges disagree about GE too. Ha!

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

So the judges disagree about GE too. Ha!

Yes, and in 16 out of 80 cases, or 20% of the time, they disagree about a given corps by three or more placements.

13 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here are the biggest discrepancies in placement today between the doubled GE judges:

3 places

GE2: Blue Stars  -- Kennedy 13th vs. Howell 10th

GE1: Mandarins  -- Sturgeon 13th vs. Hestin 16th

GE1: Troopers  -- Sturgeon 17th vs. Hestin 20th

GE1: The Company  -- Sturgeon 29th vs. Hestin 32nd

Can you really compare the place differences of a GE Music judge vs. a GE Visual Judge? 
Kennedy vs Howell isn't apples to apples. Should be Kennedy vs Hestin and Sturgeon vs Howell.

The break up in the recaps have made this confusing.

Here they are the difference paired correctly for the top 12...

Corps GE V Diff GE M Diff
Blue Devils 1 0
Vanguard 1 2
Crown 0 0
Bluecoats 0 1
Cavaliers 1 3
Boston 0 1
Cadets 1 1
Blue Knights 1 1
Phantom 3 1
Blue Stars 2 2
Crossmen 2 3