2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

9 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

So what'd I miss?  Anyone have any big additions?

Crown added in their closer these silks of the colts sideline that they "tear off", that was the most noticeable change for me. 

• Like 2

I have a bad, er touchy, question, so don't please don't flame me.

Disclaimer: I'll preface this by saying that over the years, I have been a Cavies fan, but am truly a drum corps nut and have loved shows by every corps out there. This year, I greatly appreciate each of the top five and many of the other corps shows (Mandarins rock this year and I can find something that impresses me about most of the shows). I am blown away by the design of SCV's show, their volume, and their ability to move and play musically.  Crown's brass is tops hands down and they move all over the field.  Cavies' show is unique and is starting to show some oomph brass wise; their percussion and guard are stellar and they sell their show. Bluecoats have given swagger new meaning, and I love their soloists.  Blue Devils sound amazing--their soloists also are phenomenal, and I agree that they are performing/executing at a high level.  I could go on about the others below the top 5, but hopefully, you see that I truly do appreciate what each corps brings uniquely to the activity each year.

So, touchy question, and I know it's been raised before:  Is it just me, or do the Blue Devils, who play amazing, not really "play and move" at the same time very much?  Every corps finds a way to stage and let their brass/percussion handle the hardest licks in that staged position, but I feel like BD just moves a lot, then parks and plays (outta this world!), then moves some more, then parks and plays.  What am I missing? I think that Crown and SCV both move and play better (at the same time), SCV has a design that's amazing, Bluecoats uses their "stair" props in a much more integrated fashion that BD, etc.  I'm not trying to diss BD, because I truly love their show, but I don't see how SCV is not passing them. 

I welcome your thoughts and reactions. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well everyone had major issues and/or their best run ever

scores are all over the place but slotted right into position

SCV is way too close to BD but will obviously leap frog them tomorrow night

thats it - you're all caught up!

Also, the judging panel tonight is the definitely the best and absolutely the worst of all time! 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Trumpet2 said:

I wanted to be excited about the scores and how close Vanguard is to BD, but the attitude of some people on this forum tonight completely killed my good mood. 

Please don't let the next two nights be like this. Please. 

After 14-plus hours of drum corps in Lucas Oil Stadium, if you're overly negative, I'm not sure what you watched. Every corps in WC was stronger tonight than in Allentown, and while I was not in Michigan City, I was told by someone who was that every corps was as good or better. My only criticism is that it was hard to hear vocals and spoken word over some of the corps but since I'm not a huge fan of either, I did not see it as a major problem. 

• Like 5

Quick thoughts:

Bd-didnt change their closer

Bloo- fantastic, but I feel their show has peaked.

Scv- a real treat visually, but I just want more big moments.  The small ensemble is great, but I feel for the.most part they provide most of the melodic ideas and then the full ensemble just throws some hits in.  I can see *why* it's cool, but it just isn't a show for me personally.

Crown- They trimmed off some of their hornline phrases in the closer which made me sad.  It's still a good show, but I didn't walk away with anything new that I hadn't already taken from it.

Cavies- Fantastic.  I love their show, I know it's a little cheesy, but the members REALLY buy into the content, and I love it.

Boston Crusaders- Really great, I don't really have anything new to add.  What a show, brass, percussion, guard.  This show is like a dream team of designers and members.  I'd say this is our next new champion.

Cadets-  As I already said, I understand how integral the vocalists are to the show, but I feel the brass just isn't getting quite the exposure they need to be.  The show just kind of seems disjointed with the transitions between brass and singing.  I think it will line up for me better live, that being said some great moments already.  That trombone feature had me grinning like crazy in the theater.

Blue Knights-  I love this show, much more on the line of 2014 and 2015 which I like.  Some new effects being shown off, and the hornline sells it for me.  I like show far more than 2016.

Phantom- Oh man.  I was really hoping to like this show more than I did.  Everything is elegant, very Phantom esque.  Cartwright has definitely marked his stamp on the show though.  It's very Broken Arrow.  The huge flag moments, the pretty narrations....and so on.  It doesn't mean I don't like it, it's just in a batch of finalists that bring so much to the table, it just kind of gets lost to me.  I think that might change for me live, too.  

14 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

DCI reporting another record setting crowd.

But ... but ... drum corps is dying!!!  Too much singing and dancing and amping and props and shows with no themes and shows with in your face themes and ...

i coukd go on but The Wife says I need to finish my beer.  G'nite all!

• Like 4