2017 World Championships Prelims - Aug 10

5 hours ago, goirish52 said:

Wonderful night tonight.  i loved every second of it.

One mans opinion.

Mandarins were woulds better than Madison.

no.

Randy's (Really) Random Ruminations

Please -- reserve the phrase "on fire tonight" for BAC.  Violators will be burned (or hung).

Heck with souvies -- I want a ride on SVC's wheelie thing!

You need to see Crown's show live from the 400 level or higher in Indy.  When you can take in the entire field, the deconstruction theme is readily apparent.

Serious thought:  SO many shows will no longer be seen from yesterday and after tonight unless they live on somewhere in BOA/WGI in some form.  There's got to be a way for DCI to preserve them and market them.  (Yeah, I know -- copyrights.)

• Like 5

Was there live last night. Random observations:

Beginning to think that SCV may have maxed out the show, and that Crown has a shot at 2nd. Would love to see Vanguard win it all this year, emotionally, but the show itself isn't screaming "best in class" right now.

It's BD's world, until someone else comes along and forces them out. No one last night was ready to do that.

I like Bluecoats' show design, in general, but the amount of "sweetening" they're giving the hornline through the speakers is beyond offensive. Turn the levels the F down, since the volumes through the speakers were louder than the actual horns on the field where I was.

Cavaliers run was a little flat in person. If they kick it up a notch tonight and Sat, they still have a shot at 4th.

Boston's staff should be commended for the amazing job they've done pushing their corps into the middle of the finalist pack. The kids are performing extraordinarily well. But there's nothing in the show that should be ranking higher than 6th.

Cadets, musically, have one of the best shows on the field this year. Visually...not so much, and the choice to have the choir stand in one essentially un-staged position ("hey choir, yeah, just go stand in a group next to the pit") rather than employ them dynamically, from a visual standpoint, is one of the year's biggest missed opportunities for effect. 

Regiment, between Stanford and last night, traveled a huge distance, performance-wise. It's still just not a very engaging show, and the gentlemen's club voiceovers aren't even the worst design decision in it (see "Swimsuits: Jantzen: 1951").

Crown's percussion section is finally, after these years, on par with what their hornline has been for a decade. Nicely done. The "Wicked" tune, however, is well-played fluff, more suited for a 16th place corps than a medalist.

Hoping for Madison's sake that they make it this year (nothing against Mandarins), but having seen it a few times live, I'm left with an interesting visual program matched with a musical book that feels like eating a bitter pudding for dinner, one course after another. The 'other world' aspect of the show design would have been better served by using familiar music, but arranged so that it felt alien. Oh well, next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Was there live last night. Random observations:

Beginning to think that SCV may have maxed out the show, and that Crown has a shot at 2nd. Would love to see Vanguard win it all this year, emotionally, but the show itself isn't screaming "best in class" right now.

It's BD's world, until someone else comes along and forces them out. No one last night was ready to do that.

I like Bluecoats' show design, in general, but the amount of "sweetening" they're giving the hornline through the speakers is beyond offensive. Turn the levels the F down, since the volumes through the speakers were louder than the actual horns on the field where I was.

Cavaliers run was a little flat in person. If they kick it up a notch tonight and Sat, they still have a shot at 4th.

Boston's staff should be commended for the amazing job they've done pushing their corps into the middle of the finalist pack. The kids are performing extraordinarily well. But there's nothing in the show that should be ranking higher than 6th.

Cadets, musically, have one of the best shows on the field this year. Visually...not so much, and the choice to have the choir stand in one essentially un-staged position ("hey choir, yeah, just go stand in a group next to the pit") rather than employ them dynamically, from a visual standpoint, is one of the year's biggest missed opportunities for effect. 

Regiment, between Stanford and last night, traveled a huge distance, performance-wise. It's still just not a very engaging show, and the gentlemen's club voiceovers aren't even the worst design decision in it (see "Swimsuits: Jantzen: 1951").

Crown's percussion section is finally, after these years, on par with what their hornline has been for a decade. Nicely done. The "Wicked" tune, however, is well-played fluff, more suited for a 16th place corps than a medalist.

Hoping for Madison's sake that they make it this year (nothing against Mandarins), but having seen it a few times live, I'm left with an interesting visual program matched with a musical book that feels like eating a bitter pudding for dinner, one course after another. The 'other world' aspect of the show design would have been better served by using familiar music, but arranged so that it felt alien. Oh well, next year.

I agree with exactly half of what you say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Only if you have a note from your medical team.

Actually, he went for the inversion table thing (for the back).  I think I can talk him into it. 

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Here are the biggest discrepancies in placement today between the doubled GE judges:

7 places

GE2: Jersey Surf  -- Kennedy 25th vs. Howell 32nd

5 places

GE1: Vanguard Cadets  -- Sturgeon 14th vs. Hestin 19th

4 places

GE2: Cavaliers  -- Kennedy 2nd vs. Howell 6th

GE1: Crossmen  -- Sturgeon 9th vs. Hestin 13th

GE1: The Academy  -- Sturgeon 16th vs. Hestin 12th

GE2: Troopers  -- Kennedy 14th vs. Howell 18th

GE2: Blue Devils B  -- Kennedy 21st vs. Howell 17th

GE2: Music City  -- Kennedy 26th vs. Howell 22nd

GE2: Spartans  -- Kennedy 28th vs. Howell 24th

GE2: Seattle Cascades  -- Kennedy 22nd vs. Howell 26th

GE2: Gold  -- Kennedy 32nd vs. Howell 28th

GE2: Pioneer  -- Kennedy 31st vs. Howell 35th

3 places

GE2: Blue Stars  -- Kennedy 13th vs. Howell 10th

GE1: Mandarins  -- Sturgeon 13th vs. Hestin 16th

GE1: Troopers  -- Sturgeon 17th vs. Hestin 20th

GE1: The Company  -- Sturgeon 29th vs. Hestin 32nd

This is why there are two judges.  Anyone who thinks GE has no subjectivity ingrained in it hasn't been around drum corps too long or has been not paying attention.

This is particularly the case when corps take chances.  One Visual GE judge may think the Crossmen's props are too "busy".  Another may think they add complexity and intrigue to the visual picture.  One judge may think what the Academy is doing is fun and entertaining.  Another may prefer a more sober show.

It would be a very unusual GE recap if there weren't a few of these discrepancies.

• Like 2