2017 Open Class Championships Prelims - Aug 7

This looks like a very cool thread to read, but as with the Massillon thread, I'll have to come back to it later. I hope video of the three non-Finalist corps turns up on Youtube, and I look forward to seeing the other thirteen corps in person in about 15 hours.

8 hours ago, MOS3 said:

Just to clear up some confusion about Gold from an insider perspective.

White Drillmasters painted brown:

We could have just bought brown drillmasters, but there was apparently one kid in front ensemble with a size 14 shoe (apparently they don't have brown in that size) which "prevented" us from getting them already brown.

Why didn't they just get different shoes/color for front ensemble? Why didn't they just have him wear size 13's? Why why why? I don't know. Could have been planned much better.

Plain old brown shirt and brown overalls:

The original idea was to have just that plain uniform and then when we left on tour, then add leaves and whatnot when we left for tour; like we had had started to GROW ;)

They kept having dates planned to do these alterations, but time and time again would put them off to a later date, to where eventually we had to leave for tour and never got to complete the idea.

Definitely could have been planned better.

As for the show theme. The way it's been explained to me is that it's more conceptual than a storytelling. So think of Bluecoats 2014. An idea as the show title, and then just doing whatever fits within that concept throughout the show. So there's a lot of "growth" in the show both visually and musically. And then of course there's the uniforms and props with trees and plants; kind of arbitrary to what the show is actually about.

Hope that makes our show a bit more understandable. :)

posted from the DrumScorps app

Don't sweat the theme.  It's a great show.  The "grow" theme was apparent by the end, it just took a bit of time on what was a second read for me (the first being weeks ago when you were all still in Califorina). I just kept wondering if there wasn't more to it than "grow" in the same way that I kept wondering if there wasn't more to Tilt. It's the kind of show that lets you tell yourself a story in that way.

The thing with the uniforms sounds cool!  Too bad it didn't get finalized. 

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sometimes in the past, the international corps has gone on in its scoring position, but more recently they've put such corps first.

Yes. They announced the performance order as the last thing on the feed.  The Company will open things tonight and those twelve will go in reverse order of placement,  

OK in the past I have been prone to the "sky is falling Drum corps is declining" speak like everyone else.  I have not seen any Les Stentors or Impulse clips this year but if you have corps of the size and quality of Shadow and Colt Cadets NOT making finals in "Open Class" the activity is alive and well.  Years ago those 2 with their size and quality from the little bit I saw would have been top 6.

Bravo

Edit - And I can remember finishing in the top 3-4 of "Class A" and struggling to get 6 Contras.  WTH are they finding all these Tubas?  You got corps not making finals with 10??  Awesome.  LOL

Edited by WWonka
  • Like 2

Yeah, the activity is doing just fine.  Open Class is getting better and better every year since I returned to regular fandom in 2014

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, CrownBariDad said:

Nice job, Les Stentors!!!

Does anybody know what their show title and/or repertoire were this year? I never saw them, and it's not on Corpsreps.

(Did Michael Boo perhaps mention it on his Prelims liveblog?)

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Does anybody know what their show title and/or repertoire were this year? I never saw them, and it's not on Corpsreps.

(Did Michael Boo perhaps mention it on his Prelims liveblog?)

Wikipedia has show info (on my phone now or I'd copy/paste it here for you).  It looks correct for 2017 as I remember they had a terrific singer for "Always on My Mind".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stentors_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

• Like 1