A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

Just now, Just Here said:

No one understands correctly all of the time. My other more direct understanding is that you would just like GH to shut up. I don't understand that perspective, but ok.

You don't understand, then.

3 minutes ago, Just Here said:

No one understands correctly all of the time. My other more direct understanding is that you would just like GH to shut up. I don't understand that perspective, but ok.

In polite company I wouldn't be that blunt, but you are essentially correct. I have stated this before and I'm being serious not trying to be funny:  GH should not be posting corps related streams of consciousness on Facebook or any other social media. He is a bull in a china shop. He apparently thinks he's hip, cool, and self-aware. His social media portfolio tells me he most definitely is not. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But if the argument was "these instruments don't really work out on the field", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though movement is a sine qua non of this activity, we'll let some people stand still"?

Likewise 24 years later, when the new argument was "these instruments weren't meant to be played outdoors and don't sound natural", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though producing a big sound naturally has been a key feature of this activity, we'll let those instruments be amplified"?

I find it somewhat fascinating that marimbas and xylophones are still being played at all. With keyboards so prominent, and electronics expanding, I wouldn't be surprised to see a corps not march them soon.

Edited by MikeRapp

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I find it somewhat fascinating that marimbas are still being played at all. With keyboards so prominent, and electronics expanding, I wouldn't be surprised to see a corps not march them soon.

Ugh. I hope not.

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But if the argument was "these instruments don't really work out on the field", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though movement is a sine qua non of this activity, we'll let some people stand still"?

Likewise 24 years later, when the new argument was "these instruments weren't meant to be played outdoors and don't sound natural", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though producing a big sound naturally has been a key feature of this activity, we'll let those instruments be amplified"?

With losing the marching "pit" ...there is more gained with them standing... for instance one player can play multiple timpani (allows for gain in instrumentation member allocation) and you introduce different styles of keyboards (size-wise) to allow for other percussive sounds.  Sure they are literally standing but they add to the effect of a broader percussive musical voice. The sounds were always there...just moved to the sideline.

Plus another key part to the sideline voice is often when the music book switches to the sideline focus... the brass/battery are resetting their formations, so a chance to integrate better transitions between vocal and visual sets. So it adds to the presentation.  In the end I really don't think anyone out there is upset at the main pit for being on the sideline.  Getting rid of the sideline pit... you would notice and say bring them back.  Getting rid of a sideline choir...which is what some of the original argument is about...we would not miss them at all. 

Technically the field conductor stands around the entire show...we should get rid of them too :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: 

• Like 1

Just now, Wog said:

With losing the marching "pit" ...there is more gained with them standing... for instance one player can play multiple timpani (allows for gain in instrumentation member allocation) and you introduce different styles of keyboards (size-wise) to allow for other percussive sounds.  Sure they are literally standing but they add to the effect of a broader percussive musical voice. The sounds were always there...just moved to the sideline.

Plus another key part to the sideline voice is often when the music book switches to the sideline focus... the brass/battery are resetting their formations, so a chance to integrate better transitions between vocal and visual sets. So it adds to the presentation.  In the end I really don't think anyone out there is upset at the main pit for being on the sideline.  Getting rid of the sideline pit... you would notice and say bring them back.  Getting rid of a sideline choir...which is what some of the original argument is about...we would not miss them at all. 

Technically the field conductor stands around the entire show...we should get rid of them too :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: 

I actually have spoken with people who are baffled even today by the idea of marching bands and drum corps having a pit. "If it's a marching band, why doesn't everybody march?"

(Also, around the time the pit was introduced, weren't the drum majors still often marking time, i.e., not standing still?)

"I think we've gone too far [with electronics]"

"you don't want to sit in the front row of a drum corps show today"

"the kids are not loving being prop guys"

shouldn't be able to "regenerate instruments you already own" (aka brass)

"are we giving awards to the best sound system?"

"pretty sure something will happen" [I believe means a rule change]

he thinks 2018 is too early because next rule meeting is in January after a lot of people already know what they're doing with their show next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monarch said:

These guys never looked awkward. Marching Timps. Marching KeyBoards. G Bugles. No Amps!. And these guys parka and bark!

https://youtu.be/hHmoVPRsAzM

(buy you're right)

I marched a tympani back in the day. Heavy but the keyboard players had it worse, especially the poor soul who carried the vibraphone. I was for the move to the pit mainly for musical reasons. Sure with four timp players we could play some sweat runs that wouldn't be possible by one player. But the sound coming a marching tympani is crap compared to a concert tympani. Mainly because of marching timps were made of fiberglass whereas convert timps are made of copper. On the keyboard side of things, if you like a tingy bell sound than marching keyboards are for you. But I think no one can argue that a better percussion sound some from a concert keyboard. Watch Madison 1982. They simply put their marching keyboards on stands. Not the worst thing, but if you are not going to carry them, then get someone that has better sound.

17 minutes ago, PeterGibbons said:

But the sound coming a marching tympani is crap compared to a concert tympani. 

You're being too kind, by infinite degrees. 

As for electronics and mic'ing, good luck putting that genie back in the bottle. But there CAN be standards set for what is considered "good" or successful use of electronics and what's considered amateur hour. If we judge the performers on the professionalism and quality of their performance, the GE numbers and MA numbers should also reflect specific, enunciated criteria when it comes to electronics. An overbalanced bass coming from the speakers should be specifically identified as something that will detract from score, etc, etc, etc.

That probably won't happen either. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1