Biggest Surprise of the Season?

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Well I've finally reached a place where I'm very happy with the path I am taking so I guess I have that. 

Big surprise!  The direction I turned this topic!   

Umm...I have another one.  I actually really really really enjoy the way singers are being used this year.  For at least two corps it's not only a plus it's a big highlight for me (BAC/Seattle Cascades). 

BAC's singer is beyond amazing. Loved it the first time I heard it...haven't stopped loving it since. 

• Like 5

Santa Clara Vanguard was a surprise to me.  They had been in 4th or 5th for several years so I didn't expect much of a move.  But now they are not only getting out of the placement rut, but making a case to win the gold.  I hope they do... they deserve it.

Mandarins surprised me for similar reasons.  I have really liked their programs for the last few years, but wasn't expecting to see them make a run at the top 12.  Even if they don't make it this year they have certainly got the attention of the judges, the fans and the corps that may have underestimated what they are capable of.  

• Like 4

Uniforms.  Almost every corps has a uniform that is changed from last year in a way you might not recognize them from the look alone.  It's turning into the WGI phenomenon where you can't tell who someone is by their look.  Cadets have maroon & gold, but not on a West Point uniform.  SCV has red, but not a Vanguard uniform.  BD has blue for a bit, but a different look.  Crown changed colors ... again.  BK, Madison, Academy, Bluecoats - no semblance of what was before.  Boston - not a drop of red or of West Point heritage.  I'm sure some of the corps still look like their normal identity, but the uniform revolution has hit full force for sure.  Even the judges got new shirts (black summer shirts like they're about to go on a cruise).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Uniforms.  Almost every corps has a uniform that is changed from last year in a way you might not recognize them from the look alone.  It's turning into the WGI phenomenon where you can't tell who someone is by their look.  Cadets have maroon & gold, but not on a West Point uniform.  SCV has red, but not a Vanguard uniform.  BD has blue for a bit, but a different look.  Crown changed colors ... again.  BK, Madison, Academy, Bluecoats - no semblance of what was before.  Boston - not a drop of red or of West Point heritage.  I'm sure some of the corps still look like their normal identity, but the uniform revolution has hit full force for sure.  Even the judges got new shirts (black summer shirts like they're about to go on a cruise).

Including "THE ACADEMY" uniforms as having "NO SEMBLANCE of what was before," IMHO is a major oversight. I dare say,The Corps Red Riding Coats w/tails, and Top Hats with 18" feathers, in my view, went up in class from what arguably was already one of the classiest uniforms in DCI, that being their former "Black formal Tux's and Tails" of the past few years.  I also believe putting black shirts on the judges was a brilliant move. Much less distracting then watching the former DCI Judges in Green shirts darting all over the field.

Edited by CorpsRelic
Corrected typos

1. Boston. I know I expected them to be better, but not that much... they're in my top 3 this year.

2. BK. That hornline has improved so much from last year. Honestly I  think this is one of their best years. 

3. Hornline micing specifically SCVs small ensemble. Don't know if I like it, but it's the future I'll get over it. 

4. Phantom... design shmesign yada yada. Their music blew me away. One of my top 5 favorite moments from the season is around their 5:20 mark. I like them when they're aggressive. 

5. Madison's show impressed me way more than I thought it would. Sorta can't believe they did Judas after this show. 

6. Mandarins. We all know why. Great job y'all. Fiercest drum major too you should watch her for a minute or so she sells it. I'd have them and Madison both in finals over crossmen... just think their show is lacking compared to both.

7. Die hard crown fan and it's the first show I was sorta meh about. Still die hard though, hum their show to myself more than any other one. 

8. Cadets didn't rebound the way I thought they would. Whatever, still really enjoy their show.

9. I'm surprised scv hasnt won recently... if they did it would make sense. It makes sense that BD has been winning too but still... theyre just as worthy as BD for that 1st place IMO.

10. Lastly, I'm surprised I've enjoyed this season so much... theres multiple shows from last year I just didn't enjoy but this year... everyone has been bringing it. Like I said, design shmesign. Everyone is doing fantastic! Buying the blue ray asap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I wish I had parents that were as supportive as you're being for your son, that was a big part of what made it hard for me, I have pretty much no support at home (parents still question me going into education and doing what they still consider a phase or a hobby AFTER earning my degree).  

So short version, +100 parenting points for you.   

Parenting is a tough business: balancing (1) expressing concern and offering sensible advice with (2) letting kids grow and explore and develop on their own. That (2) is just really critical. I find it important in university teaching and advising, too.

• Like 1

1. SCV's show and performance and unis. So glad they did this instead of a sappy throwback to bottle dance.

2. Madison's show and performance and unis. And maybe a bigger surprise (and one I welcome): they stuck with it, committed to it, and made it work. I won't be surprised if we look back on this in a few years and see that 2017 was a genuine, serious start of rebuilding Madison.

3. BAC's rise. I dismissed the pre-season hype as, well, hype. Great to see that reality matched. The whole drum corps package is important, including staffing. And if the strategy at Boston was to go aggressively recruit the right people, good for them.

4. The Academy's show and performance. After such a great show in 2016, I expected something even greater in 2017, including a push up in placements. I am sure this was me being stupid, and no blot on the corps intended. In addition, the show just hasn't grabbed me the way I wanted it to.

5. Right Speakers. Most live shows, I've sat slightly right of the 50. Since Tour Premier in Indy, the Right Speakers have really cleaned and cleaned and tightened up their show. I am way surprised they aren't placing higher.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

My son auditioned for BAC for the 2016 season, and was in process of contracting when our local school calendar came out and we realized he'd have to miss almost 2 weeks of his senior year to march. So he marched DCA with Atlanta CV instead.

What's the approximate % of Ages in Atlanta Corps Vets?

Is it mostly 20's recent age outs or what?  

Any older members?  

6 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

As an upcoming Mus.Ed. major that wants to be a band director, I'll consider his drum corps fees moving forward as "tuition". 

We've kinda done the same thing with our ex-tax credit, though he has had to raise funds for part of his fees and travel expenses and we've helped him do that, too He will graduate with one killer resume for a new band director next May thanks to drum corps. 

• Like 1