Indy 2017

22 minutes ago, DeanInChicago said:

Hello again Wonkadoo.  Hey, just like Disney World allows parents to ride swap, why don't we go halfsies on my Section 141 row 20 seat. Seriously.

As the seat set me back $129,  how about we do playground picks back and forth, and you may choose first.  That way, we both see 6 great shows from a wonderful seat.  Your cost to join in the merriment will be $60 - such a deal.  We need to collaborate so that you get to finals!

I must be a little slow on the processing end this evening......not sure I even understand what you are proposing.  If you mean each see six shows on Finals night, I'm not sure how we would manage to get in and out of the stadium and the seat back and forth in time to see much of anything.  AND, not sure where exactly that would leave my wife?!?!?

Feel free to explain it all to me a little more slowly so that maybe I have a chance to catch up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm glad things are looking up. 

I didn't mean to sound harsh but this man in my seat was downright indignant that I told him it was my seat.  I was amazed that he asked to see my ticket.  I've been sitting in that seat for quite a few years. 

I had a couple of bad experiences last year's 3 days, too. Not quite that bad. But it always startles me that a few drum corps people can be so jerkish.

And anyway, you'd think anyone at DCI finals would know it's you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daave said:

I've seen both, but I think the worst "offenders" are the kids.

We went to Indy 2010 and 2013. 2010 was awesome. No issues. In 2013, we stepped away and young people were in our seats when we came back. In 2010, I carried bottled water into the stadium. In 2013, the ticket taker threw it out and the concession was a zoo. I hope the ushers and staff at Lucas Oil realize the venue has people of all ages at DCI finals. I hope the people that took our seats in 2013 realize we traveled over 2,000 miles to see the event. I hope all a reasonable in 2017. All the best to the corps and audience/

• Like 1

Hello again Wonker.

My brainstorms always need fleshed out more.  When I think of Finals, I think of the Top 12.  The final 12 means 12 shows.

Yeah I know the event is ONE SHOW, but in my book, the evening is made up of 12 smaller shows. The performances of the one dozen finalist corps - this is what I mean as the 12 shows.

I admit that I generally skip the early bonus shows on Finals night: InPact band, Open Class champ, the Marine corps, the line up of sponsors.  Yes, it is all worthy, but the Top Twelve is why I attend.

With apologies to your wife, I can only offer the original idea to just you.  Let's guess that of all the possible top 12 shows to see, you most want to see Santa Clara.

I would then pick Bluecoats, then you would then pick Blue Devils, then I would pick The Cadets. so on and so on, until we are left with Crown and maybe Madison or Mandarins.

Between shows, we would swap spaces in the 140-240 video lobby.  I will go pee while you enjoy Blue Knights, then you can buy popcorn while I view Crossmen.

Yes, you would still need to buy a general admission ticket to get into Lucas Oil, while your wife strikes out on her own.

11 hours ago, xandandl said:

I'm going but still have to get seats for any night. Life got in the way.

There's a guy who was banned from here years ago (profiting, or attempting to, without the consent of the Godfather is not looked on favorably) who's been scalping DCI tickets for DECADES (I yelled at him for scalping tickets outside of Madison stadium almost every year we were there!).  Turns out, the guy's a huge drum corps fan and uses the scalping profits to fund his summer tour.  I sold him quarter-finals tickets for years back when they came with the Friends package.

You can't miss him...short, chubby (sorry) black guy, who wears glasses.  He usually stands on the south-east corner next to the stadium and sometimes has a few "helpers" around him which, I think, gives him a negative image.  But you can walk up to the obvious "leader" of the group (Ron) and ask him any historic or current drum corps question you want and he'll likely answer it correctly.  He's a fan and, as a scalper, he fills a need and gets a pass in my eye.

You might want to be a seat-jumper but he'll get you in the door.

Edited by garfield

10 hours ago, wonker said:

I must be a little slow on the processing end this evening......not sure I even understand what you are proposing.  If you mean each see six shows on Finals night, I'm not sure how we would manage to get in and out of the stadium and the seat back and forth in time to see much of anything.  AND, not sure where exactly that would leave my wife?!?!?

Feel free to explain it all to me a little more slowly so that maybe I have a chance to catch up!

LOL

That's cute.

So, do you want to see drum corps or do you want to sleep on the couch at home?

If you want decent seats hang outside the stadium before the shows. People always have extra tickets to sell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm glad things are looking up. 

I didn't mean to sound harsh but this man in my seat was downright indignant that I told him it was my seat.  I was amazed that he asked to see my ticket.  I've been sitting in that seat for quite a few years. 

I had a similar experience. In 2013 a man was adamant, claiming that I was in his seat at semi's. I could not find my ticket. He was being a jerk, there was a family with young kids in the neighboring seats, and there was an empty seat nearby, so I moved. After intermission I found my ticket, and went to my seat. The same guy was at another seat claiming it was his but this time an usher intervened. He was in the wrong section. The guy spewed off a mouthful, claimed it was DCI's fault, and stormed out.

You can meet some of the nicest people at drum corps shows. You can start conversations with total strangers who share your passion, reunite with old friends, or see people you only see once a year and have a great time. And then there are others....we'll leave it at that.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1