Indy 2017

9 hours ago, DeanInChicago said:

Hello again Wonker.

My brainstorms always need fleshed out more.  When I think of Finals, I think of the Top 12.  The final 12 means 12 shows.

Yeah I know the event is ONE SHOW, but in my book, the evening is made up of 12 smaller shows. The performances of the one dozen finalist corps - this is what I mean as the 12 shows.

I admit that I generally skip the early bonus shows on Finals night: InPact band, Open Class champ, the Marine corps, the line up of sponsors.  Yes, it is all worthy, but the Top Twelve is why I attend.

With apologies to your wife, I can only offer the original idea to just you.  Let's guess that of all the possible top 12 shows to see, you most want to see Santa Clara.

I would then pick Bluecoats, then you would then pick Blue Devils, then I would pick The Cadets. so on and so on, until we are left with Crown and maybe Madison or Mandarins.

Between shows, we would swap spaces in the 140-240 video lobby.  I will go pee while you enjoy Blue Knights, then you can buy popcorn while I view Crossmen.

Yes, you would still need to buy a general admission ticket to get into Lucas Oil, while your wife strikes out on her own.

I plan on going to finals every year. It does not always work out. So for me, the show begins on Thursday morning, this year will either be the Company if they start with International or with Les Stentors if they begin with Open Class, and will end on Saturday with scores and the festivities that go along with it, and as much as possible in between. I may not get to Drumline Battle or SoundSport, but I figure it's a long time between finals and the June cinecast, so I get as much as I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garfield said:

There's a guy who was banned from here years ago (profiting, or attempting to, without the consent of the Godfather is not looked on favorably) who's been scalping DCI tickets for DECADES (I yelled at him for scalping tickets outside of Madison stadium almost every year we were there!).  Turns out, the guy's a huge drum corps fan and uses the scalping profits to fund his summer tour.  I sold him quarter-finals tickets for years back when they came with the Friends package.

You can't miss him...short, chubby (sorry) black guy, who wears glasses.  He usually stands on the south-east corner next to the stadium and sometimes has a few "helpers" around him which, I think, gives him a negative image.  But you can walk up to the obvious "leader" of the group (Ron) and ask him any historic or current drum corps question you want and he'll likely answer it correctly.  He's a fan and, as a scalper, he fills a need and gets a pass in my eye.

You might want to be a seat-jumper but he'll get you in the door.

It's funny you should post this, as Ron is how I have already acquired my seats for Friday night!  Still hoping something works out for Saturday as well.

Ron once had the byline of "Inside the Forties".  He was buying and selling this past weekend in Allentown.

Is there a link for the show details, bag policy, etc...?  Not the "Event Details" link on dci.org or the stadium bag policy on colts.com.  I'm looking for a website specifically for the DCI events, or written confirmation that DCI will be following Lucas Oil Stadiums policy this year (I understand that they have not in years past).  If such a site or language exists.....

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Someone asked to see my ticket last year who was in my seat.  This year, I'm just getting the usher. 

That takes a lot of nerve!

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Someone asked to see my ticket last year who was in my seat.  This year, I'm just getting the usher. 

I'm fortunate that I've been sitting in the same sections, with the same Friends, for decades.  All I need to do is suggest the perp ask anyone around him if he's in my seat.

Probably 50 people will confirm that, no, that seat (or even that section!) is not his.  No usher needed.

One of the nice things about being a member of the Friends section for so long is that people you never speak to for 362 days a year will defend you and your turf.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm fortunate that I've been sitting in the same sections, with the same Friends, for decades.  All I need to is suggest the perp ask anyone around him if he's in my seat.

Probably 50 people will confirm that, no, that seat (or even that section!) is not his.  No usher needed.

One of the nice things about being a member of the Friends section for so long is that people you never speak to for 362 days a year will defend you and your turf.

The same people in our row every year, too.  The problem was none of us had gotten there yet.  

13 hours ago, KCWolfPck said:

Is there a link for the show details, bag policy, etc...?  Not the "Event Details" link on dci.org or the stadium bag policy on colts.com.  I'm looking for a website specifically for the DCI events, or written confirmation that DCI will be following Lucas Oil Stadiums policy this year (I understand that they have not in years past).  If such a site or language exists.....

Thanks.

Wondering the same.....
Anyone?

On 8/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, garfield said:

This whole subject of poaching seats just p***es me off to no end.

It irritates the crap out of me that people buy cheap seats and then poach seats.

Even still, it is a fact that the best way to keep poachers from getting your seat is to arrive when the show begins and stay for the whole thing.  I haven't seen a poacher yet who's willing to sit on my lap.

So funny story. 

Last year at Semis, dad and I were in the top of one of the lower sections, sitting right behind this lady who had bought two seats that weren't on the aisle. She sat next to the two aisle seats, and when anyone (corps member/staff/fan) came to watch a show, and asked if those seats were taken she would say, quite loudly, "I tried to buy these seats! These were the seats I wanted! But SOMEONE had the nerve to buy them before I could, so I'm not letting anyone sit here until they come so I can tell them what I think!" This exchange happened probably 15-20 times that night, and it I sincerely hope that woman got to buy those seats for herself this year, because I would hate for anyone else to have to experience her hatefulness. 

• Like 1

Arrived at the airport, checked in, went through security, and most importantly, Dunkin Donuts is open! Waiting to board, all is right in the universe. Indy and DCI await.

P.S. The TSA agent who inspected my bag has no idea of what a drum corps or why I would go to Indianapolis instead of a beach.

• Like 2