Future Drum Corps Popularity

It will be interesting to observe trends of DCI in terms of streaming numbers and tickets sold at events over the next few years. DCI had a decline in numbers during the mid to late 90's after design trends changed. (Some argue due to Star's game changing show). Either way, shows changed and some say it was less fan friendly, etc and the result was a decline in numbers. 

I wonder, with how much DCI changed this season, how and if that this will affect attendance, etc. If over the next few seasons, the trend starts to decline, will this cause DCI, then designers to take pause and re-evaluate the design trend. As they say, time will tell. 

I actually believe viewership will rise. Today's active generation wants to witness a "WOW" spectacle. They can quickly become bored by regimentation. I'd like the electronic issue brought under control quickly, but the vocals, dancing, special effects, yearly theme-specific costumes, and instrument variety will continue to build, capturing the attention of a broadening base.

Live, in-person attendance could actually drop. That won't necessarily mean a lesser number of enthusiasts, however.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

i'm sure everybody else in here will have advanced market research to support their opinions, but all i have is anecdotal evidence. 

i used to have to drag family to dci events. now they're the ones asking me when the quarters theater thing is. 

thanks. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jeffe77 said:

It will be interesting to observe trends of DCI in terms of streaming numbers and tickets sold at events over the next few years. DCI had a decline in numbers during the mid to late 90's after design trends changed. (Some argue due to Star's game changing show). Either way, shows changed and some say it was less fan friendly, etc and the result was a decline in numbers. 

I wonder, with how much DCI changed this season, how and if that this will affect attendance, etc. If over the next few seasons, the trend starts to decline, will this cause DCI, then designers to take pause and re-evaluate the design trend. As they say, time will tell. 

that drop rebounded in the early part of the 2000's, then dropped to close to an all time low around 2010. However since then, the trend has been going up. like shows ( meaning shows held on an annual basis) seem to be reporting increased attendance, regionals popping huge numbers, and the price of Flo seems to help even if the quality hasnt been a plus

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that drop rebounded in the early part of the 2000's, then dropped to close to an all time low around 2010. However since then, the trend has been going up. like shows ( meaning shows held on an annual basis) seem to be reporting increased attendance, regionals popping huge numbers, and the price of Flo seems to help even if the quality hasnt been a plus

Absolutely correct. Question will be if the trend continues.

1 minute ago, Jeffe77 said:

Absolutely correct. Question will be if the trend continues.

well...lets put it this way. When Cesario became artistic director and the sheets were changed, the drudgery of the few years before started changing in design and fan reaction. I'll admit, I'm a hardcore ##### watching shows, and my one stop is Allentown which is full of hard corps ######.....and BD has been getting great responses since Felini. The crowd shots from Saturday show a huge crowd, and I posted one as Surf was getting ready to go on....the first corps of the night and the place was packed almost down to the end zone. 

I think designers get it. I think the current sheets help them get it.

• Like 2