Why Blue Devils should win DCI 2017

Thought this would be a good topic for the week. Another great year for drum corps. I do not see anyone winning but BD or SCV. 

I have started two threads, hoping to keep both from starting as supportive for one unit over another, to becoming bashing of one group under another.

DCP admin, please allow the two threads to stand alone.  

So, I will start here- Why BD should win DCI 2017: (I am using my own measures, though I am aware each lies somewhere embedded in a judge's tote sheet)

Even-ess in all captions.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Drums, great shot at 2nd-4th. Guard, great shot at top 2. Visual, great shot at top 3. Horns, great shot at 2rd or 3rd. GE- can be 1 or 2- They are second for me in GE

Pacing and variety of effects. Pacing is still uneven for me, but variety is killer.

Demand versus reward. Yes on the musical side. Though the required skill sets for all performers is high, the simultaneous demand does not even closely match SCV. 

Individual achievement per second. Second to SCV.  

The uniqueness factor/not your usual pony ride. They are 100% BD. So not unique in the regard, but certainly unique in regards to their convincing swagger.

Show flow and horizontal connectivity. Still an issue for me. 

The ending lives up to the rest of the show journey. SCV as winners. Bloo is second here. Boston third.  PR in there too. I am hoping BD has a big  ending change coming. 

The math of it all/the sheer engineering accomplishment. Not their game for the entire show, but in parts. The show is pretty easy to get in one viewing. 

Emotional value. BD has their ballad. SCV, everything else.

Attitude. Though I would like to compare it to Cadets in their best years, or Cavies, I cannot. It is its own brand of prowess that no one else has. Not even close. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tigger2 said:

Emotional value. BD has their ballad. SCV, everything else.

I don't get this one at all. I find SCV's show as emotional as a Geometry II class. It's extremely well engineered (and I think people who enjoy math/tech/analytics enjoy it for that reason), but emotional? I'm not feeling it. Best wishes to The Snake, but I'm not too captivated by your lifecycle.

BD, on the other hand oozes emotion, from the classic voiceovers to the numerous tributes to past shows, to the from-the-heart solos. For whatever reason, as soon as they start the fast motion after the jazz bark in the closer, I always get choked up. Something about the way the music begins to build, combined with the visual. Then there is a big payoff when the horns and soloist come back in. It's just very emotionally effective, with undoubtedly more to add this week.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, c mor said:

Doesn't appear you are convinced of your own topic.

I am more convinced that SCV should win, but want see why fans specifically think BD should. See the two separate threads. 

I'll play.

I agree it should be one or the other. 

Why I would vote BD: The sheer swagger of it all. They ooze confidence. The ballad may be one of the best ever. The soloists are unmatched this year. I think they are as even in all captions as anyone. I think it will come down to who has the best performance of the evening.

I believe both corps should be fed a hearty breakfast  featuring waffles on finals day. 

• Like 3

BD should win because they march and play the best*.

I prefer performance to trump design as long as the design allows the performers to show off their skills and for BD, it does. I don’t think anyone will catch BD because they are the best performers on the field followed by Crown. Last year design won the day as Crown marched, spun and played the best. They have the caption awards to prove it. There isn’t a show on the field this year with a strong enough design to beat performance so BD wins.

*There is a surprising amount of dirt in BD’s show for this late in the season but less dirt than those around them, everyone looks dirty this year as I think the staffs are over designing and under-teaching  

Of course, I just jinxed everything and there will now be a massive finals shake up and I’ll be wrong

• Like 3

I believe Metamorph will win because in addition to being a face-melter, it spills over with breathtaking energy.

Everyone raves about the ballad, as well they should, but can we talk about that trumpet feature in the third act???  Holy potatoes.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

I prefer performance to trump design as long as the design allows the performers to show off their skills and for BD, it does. I don’t think anyone will catch BD because they are the best performers on the field followed by Crown. Last year design won the day as Crown marched, spun and played the best. They have the caption awards to prove it. There isn’t a show on the field this year with a strong enough design to beat performance so BD wins.

I think this paragraph sums it up best. To me, the Blue Devils are simply the best performers in all areas, and the show design is pretty sweet. Unless someone out there has an extraordinary design offering (like Bluecoats did last year) then I am with you...performance should win. Even when someone has that killer design, they still have to clean it to an acceptable level. Cadets 2011, Crown 2013, and Bluecoats 2016 all come to mind. Great great shows from a design perspective, but all of them were fairly clean come finals, but not perfect. 

Last year Crown was the best performing corps but lacked a little in GE in their closer and that cost them. This year BD and Crown own performance. SCV will have to clean and hope their music GE grabs the judges in order for them to take the title from BD.

Now if BD hits 2014 levels, then I could care less how good your design is -- you lose, unless you can clean to the same level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

BD should win because they march and play the best*.

So much this - the shows are kind of....unremarkable as a whole. I don't unabashedly love any show this year from top to bottom, but BD with the mix of old and new (yes, they've been doing some of this for years) is really something special and draws me in.

Edited by c.l.