Why Blue Devils should win DCI 2017

I have seen all of the top 4 corps several times and if we are impartially honest, it's not even close. BD is miles ahead of the field, their show is superbly constructed and performed, it is super entertaining (for the impartial viewer that is !) They play music that we can all identify with and do it in a way that is very challenging yet seriously captivating to the regular viewer and expert alike.

Edited by Mead09
Reason
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mead09 said:

I have seen all of the top 4 corps several times and if we are impartially honest, it's not even close. BD is miles ahead of the field, their show is superbly constructed and performed, it is super entertaining (for the impartial viewer that is !) They play music that we can all identify with and do it in a way that is very challenging yet seriously captivating to the regular viewer and expert alike.

A week ago, I probably would have agreed with you.  I was at NightBeat, and after seeing BD, I felt it was "game, set' and match." Fast forward a week later, in Buffalo, I witnessed an SCV show that was practically flawless in design and executed at a championship level. Then, finally, last night in Massillon, we were treated to a visual presentation unsurpassed by anyone this year.

Though I still would put BD as the odds-on favorite, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are so far ahead that "it's not even close."   I will acknowledge that they widened the gap at their last head-to-head (a good sign for BD).  I'm not so sure if much of that gap will be there come Thursday through Saturday.  A surging Crown and a machine-like SCV will offer plenty of competition to appear in BD's rear view mirror.   But BD should watch that rear view mirror because objects (corps) may be closer than they think.

In the end, it's probably the Blue Devils.  It's a great and deserving show.  But the results are far from complete.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Candid Insight said:

In your post you state :

"amplification amongst a very few and very talented few, with micing certain people that can handle the lines of difficulty in the music while the other brass line players play supporting roles, making it appear to the naked ear that an entire section or the illusion, unless you listen closely, of the full section of entire section of brass, playing the difficult lines. Auditory illusion! "

A few points:

1) It is not intended as an illusion.  The 'small ensemble' wears gray uniforms, so they are highlighting them, not trying to fool anyone. 

2) The high brass feature of the Blue Devils uses a similar technique, amplifying a subset of their high brass players.  In fact, the Blue Devils place 6 microphones along the front sideline and amplify various segments of their brass line during their show. 

3) Most of the top corps use amplification.  You can tell by the extra microphones placed along the front sidelines that are in addition to the recording microphones used by FloMarching.  One of the interesting things to note in this regard is how well these corps are maintaining balance while doing this - noticeable LIVE, but not apparent on the FloMarching streams.

4) If you attended an SCV rehearsal or have watched SCV on a You Tube video that features SCV's brass line you would recognize that the entire SCV brass line plays some very difficult passages and many of them are on the move, not stationary.   While their 'small ensemble' plays some of the most difficult passages, the entire brass line does play a considerable amount as well while moving.  If you want to contrast that against the Blue Devils you might notice that nearly all of the difficult passages the Devils play (note: Flight of the Bumblebee in particular) are played while stationary or moving very little.  This is not to diminish the Devils - they are phenomenal.  But to imply that SCV's brass line is devoid of difficult content is not accurate.

5) Amplification, like any key instruments, dance, and corps changing uniforms annually is probably here to stay.  What should be scrutinized is the difference between corps that use RECORDED vocals (singing), versus LIVE vocals.  Corps should be rewarded for achievement.  Performing live exemplifies achievement, Hitting a button that plays a vocal does not.  From people in DCI's inner circle, there will be some discussion about how to differentiate live versus recorded, but it is unlikely they will hit the brakes on amplification of live performance content.

Good points all of them.  I appreciate you pointing them out and I'll watch SCV a couple more times before I see semis and finals.  Thanks and again, good points and explanation!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Since when is having a particular section playing by themselves considered "amplifying a subset of brass players?" I believe that's called a "feature." Unless I'm missing something lol

Actually two sections. There are 40 trumpets in the feature because the Mellos swapped out for trumpets for it also.

10 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

PI would disagree on your point.  Down side up, was a brilliant show, beginning to end which was performed in spectacular fashion by the Bluecoats.  Every thing that was in that show was innovative in it's concept and the performance of the concept.  I don't see that this year from anyone.  There are great shows such as,  BDs GE generation in GE through its brass section - which has been flat out incredible, but I still see it as lacking in its visual concepts (not performance because they are performing it at a very high level), in that they just don't have the a very demanding or difficulty built into the show at all, in its visuals.  Santa Clara has everything you'd want in a show, but again, one weakness - in my opinion, is the music which walks the line of people either loving the what SCV is doing in their brass with amplification amongst a very few and very talented few, with micing certain people that can handle the lines of difficulty in the music while the other brass line players play supporting roles, making it appear to the naked ear that an entire section or the illusion, unless you listen closely, of the full section of entire section of brass, playing the difficult lines. Auditory illusion!  Nothing against it in the rules, but is the spirit of the rule being followed?  We could go on and on as nauseum, but no reason to frustrate everyone.  The rules congress needs to find a small group of the board of directors to sit diwn and draft something that would make sense in the parameters to which those rules need to be applied.  Send it to DCI, work out the things that don't make sense, add and subtract, then vote on it.  Right now it's the Wild, Wild West with electronics and amplification and it needs to be reigned in before it becomes a "the haves vs. the have nots" - which is what it is right now.  Sorry, I have ventured into the area I should not.

Anywho, my premise was that SCV's show was not the breakthrough show that Stars was/is.    It's wonderful, but for me, musically. It's an in your face type of show with no let up, which is something needed to allow the audience to breath and take in what they seen and heard.  

I will disagree.

Down Side Up was a one-off. It was the "perfect storm" of a show, in the right place, at the right time. When we look back historically, that show will be a side note. 

Truth be told, both BD and Crown had better shows last year. BD should have won, Crown should have been a close scond, and Bloo should have (at best) finished third. I can make the argument that Cavaliers should have outplaced Bloo. 

Crowd consensus and emotional appeal allowed Bloo to win last year. Hell, even the announcers were calling for it...

And yet, this year, their "formula" is tired. We have seen this before. We don't need to see it again.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Everyfan said:

Actually two sections. There are 40 trumpets in the feature because the Mellos swapped out for trumpets for it also.

Haha you're right, but a little pedantic considering they're being featured as one section 

6 hours ago, jsd said:

I will disagree.

Down Side Up was a one-off. It was the "perfect storm" of a show, in the right place, at the right time. When we look back historically, that show will be a side note. 

Truth be told, both BD and Crown had better shows last year. BD should have won, Crown should have been a close scond, and Bloo should have (at best) finished third. I can make the argument that Cavaliers should have outplaced Bloo. 

Crowd consensus and emotional appeal allowed Bloo to win last year. Hell, even the announcers were calling for it...

And yet, this year, their "formula" is tired. We have seen this before. We don't need to see it again.

Eh not sure how I feel about saying BD should have won last year. If it wasn't Bloo, it should've been Crown, the corps that actually took quite a few captions. I don't feel like last year's product from BD was up to their typical standard, especially when comparing it to Ink and Metamorph. 

• Like 2

On 8/8/2017 at 4:36 PM, derbydawg said:

I think it will come down to who has the best performance of the evening.

I hate to play the role of Captain Obvious, but......

... isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Eh not sure how I feel about saying BD should have won last year. If it wasn't Bloo, it should've been Crown, the corps that actually took quite a few captions. I don't feel like last year's product from BD was up to their typical standard, especially when comparing it to Ink and Metamorph. 

Cool. To each their own.

i thought BD's show last year was a masterwork, and that it may have been one of their greatest ever. 

My point was that Bloo probably won because of the hype that surrounded them. That is the same hype that is completely missing for them this year.  Hence, their presumable fourth place finish. 

• Like 2

BD is clean and they are selling the crap out of this show. Not my favorite of theirs, but they're undeniable in their ability to write and perform to the sheets. 

I want SCV, but don't see how it happens. 

• Like 2