Why Blue Devils should win DCI 2017

8 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I perceived more hype this year than last for Bloo.

I also find d BDs show WAY better than last year.

Actually I find this year in general to be way better

Ok. 

BD's show is awesome this year, as it usually is. However, if you factor in what is on the sheets, their show last year is top box. 

This is a great year for drum corps. Last year was, too.

10 hours ago, Vdad76 said:

I'm sure you can make the argument.  This year has shown that many arguments can be made for many things.  Their formula is not tired, it got hooked to an unmovable object and a show they couldn't clean.  I love Cavies, Blue Devilsand Crown, but Bluecoats should have and did win last year.  If you want formulas, you can look at BD. Great brass, percussion and guard, very average visual show, which was and has been a formula of theirs for many years.  It's clean as all get out and the brass plays incredibly well, but the simplicity of the visual show is an amazing thing, and congrats to them for finding the formula that worked very well in the past and will win them the title this year.  

Simplicity?!? 

Seriously?!?

Watch the show again. There is nothing "simple" about it. If you really think that, you have either never taught or marched. 

• Like 4

I'm gonna throw my .02 in. I am very much a BD homer and want to see them win, and believe they will but I've gotta say the true winner this year is the fans. 

As I look through the probable top 12 this year there is not a single show in it that I don't enjoy. I've been lucky enough to see all of them live this year at some point in the season and each one, in their own style, are awesome. 

I think we will see #18. I don't think anyone can catch them but no way am I willing to bet on #2,3 and 4. Too close in my opinion. Anything can happen though   

Bottom line...great year to be a drum corps fan!  Looking forward to going to the Theater tonight. 

17 hours ago, Everyfan said:

Ouch. That one hurt.

No hurt intended, its just a matter to note. Coming into finals week undefeated or heavily favored (too many years to list) does not guarantee a championship.

18 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Not criticizing your particular point, which was fair and not negative at all, so much as I'm responding to the word "formula" when it comes to BD: 

BD of late is no more formulaic than any other corps in its stride, really.

You can compare them to a similarly championship-dominant corps, like the Cavaliers during their high period, but recognizable design tics were equally apparent for, say, SCV from 97-00. This is simply evidence of designers growing secure in a style that works. Or, TLDR: it's called Style. 

Corps like Crown and Cadets, meanwhile, have done outright *sequels* to some of their most successful shows (so did Madison, with "Drum corps fan's dream," in the 90s.) So the "formula" charge has always struck me as a little unfair. Isn't repetition, and doubling down on what makes BD BD (or Crown Crown, or...) part of the appeal of a corps? I really just don't get the argument.

There's also the simple fact that when I watch three recent BD shows at random—reRite of Spring, Felliniesque, and this year, for example—what mostly stand out are their vast creative differences, not their similarities. I can absolutely tell they're the same corps, but man are these shows going for different effects, different emotions, different challenges for the audience. The "formula" charge just feels like an excuse not to notice. 

I would agree with several of your points, especially "repetition, and doubling down on what makes BD, BD (or Crown, Crown, etc) part of the appeal of a corps?"  It was always part of the appeal and even though it sounded more negative than I wanted it to, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing.  However, the argument has been, ad nauseum, this year that Bluecoats are bringing the same old tired and same ideas to the table.  That they and many others have found formulas to follow and now just present the same show in a different setting.  I was trying to get across that there are many shows by many corps that follow their own formulas for as long as they have been in DCI.  This may not mean down to the visuals or even music, but in pulling back from the show, many things become apparent that have always been each Corps signature.  I don't necessarily believe formulas are a bad thing or a reason not to notice.  Corps are going for effects, emotions and challenges for both the audience, corps members and staffs, that they are allowed to now because of rule changes and challenges brought about by other groups decisions to stretch the boundaries.   Formulas are what they and are a reason certain corps change or that some stay static in the things they do.  Blue Devils have, what I consider, the best organization in DCI.  It's the reason they are able to reload every year, rather than rebuild.  The staff stays together for long periods of time, members come up through the ranks from C to B to A in their corps, giving them a set of things that the top group does not have to worry much about (obviously not every graduate gets filled in with a "JV" member).  It is a set of things they basically have to start each season.  They also have a set of things they do better than anyone else and a set of things they are lacking in.  The staff writes for what they do best, knowing that they can do them incredibly well and the others are not emphasized as much or written to a certain level knowing they can compensate in other areas.  Formulas work well and aren't necessarily a bad thing.

10 hours ago, jsd said:

Simplicity?!? 

Seriously?!?

Watch the show again. There is nothing "simple" about it. If you really think that, you have either never taught or marched. 

I have taught and I have marched and I have written.  Please don't try and make remarks you know nothing about with me personally.  I did not do that to you.  You want to discuss things that I think, that's fine, but don't fly off frothing at the mouth because you believe I've denegrated something.  I've seen the show and watched the show.