Boston Crusaders 2018

1 minute ago, drummergirl said:

Just saw it posted online by director that the average age of the corps this year is 20. 

File this away for when the topic comes up every year about the age of each corps. 

I seem to recall that world class top 12 average being age 19...I could be wrong though...

On 4/29/2018 at 1:08 PM, NavyCrusader said:

Alright... I need to know how it went! Any reviews??

This was on reddit posted by 'starstarstar42'.  I can't claim it, but will absolutely share it though!  I thought it was a great read!

"I saw Boston at their Florida camp today and... my god.

Oh sure, they were pretty #### good last year. 12 to 6th is surely no joke. But this - what I saw today - this is now something entirely different. This is something that I've seen before. I've seen it and I recognize it as sure as I know my own face. I cannot mistake this feeling for anything other than what it most assuredly is. It is something I saw, and felt, back in 2012 with Crown; I saw and felt it again in '14 with TILT.

And this thing is - a Super Saiyan.

That's the only way I can explain it. Those corps in those years took that invisible step that upped their power to a level they had never achieved before. Maybe they didn't win it all, but that was not why we remember those shows. We remember because they had crossed some invisible line and the ultimate result of that was inevitable. Even if it took another season, even if it took two, their path was set.

Boston has crossed that line. It's not even about where they place this year. It's about putting everyone else; the fans, DCI, and the top 3, on notice. They know how to go Super Saiyan now, and they are coming.

We've had corps do 'dark' shows. We've had corps do artsy shows. We've had 'clever', and minimalist and Fellini-esque and psychedelic and you name it shows. Prepare for Angry. Animal Farm in comparison was just sarcastic with a touch of upset. Wicked Games was dark with a touch of brooding.

What is coming this year is controlled and brutal anger. I know it because even Gino was surprised enough by it to raise an eyebrow and say out loud, "these kids are very good at doing angry".

Anyways, I'm calling it right now. Top 4.

They'll fight it out with someone, possibly Cavs. Here's the Shamaliyan plot twist though. It's entirely too early to tell of course, but if they keep ramping up their power level at this same rate, they may very well leave 4th in their wake.

There, I said it. There is a definite possibility that, despite all I just said and what I've just predicted, that I might be underestimating them."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drummergirl said:

Just saw it posted online by director that the average age of the corps this year is 20. 

File this away for when the topic comes up every year about the age of each corps. 

This would make this version of BAC the oldest...actually... EVER. 

1 hour ago, craiga said:

This would make this version of BAC the oldest...actually... EVER. 

Amazing, because I saw what appeared to me to be a youngish looking Drum Corps for Boston once again to me for 2018. But when I mentioned this at one of the camps to a friend beside me, that person replied to me.... " thats because we're getting older than dirt ".

That person was of course, quite correct, and that aptly explains it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

This was on reddit posted by 'starstarstar42'.  I can't claim it, but will absolutely share it though!  I thought it was a great read!

"I saw Boston at their Florida camp today and... my god.

Oh sure, they were pretty #### good last year. 12 to 6th is surely no joke. But this - what I saw today - this is now something entirely different. This is something that I've seen before. I've seen it and I recognize it as sure as I know my own face. I cannot mistake this feeling for anything other than what it most assuredly is. It is something I saw, and felt, back in 2012 with Crown; I saw and felt it again in '14 with TILT.

And this thing is - a Super Saiyan.

That's the only way I can explain it. Those corps in those years took that invisible step that upped their power to a level they had never achieved before. Maybe they didn't win it all, but that was not why we remember those shows. We remember because they had crossed some invisible line and the ultimate result of that was inevitable. Even if it took another season, even if it took two, their path was set.

Boston has crossed that line. It's not even about where they place this year. It's about putting everyone else; the fans, DCI, and the top 3, on notice. They know how to go Super Saiyan now, and they are coming.

We've had corps do 'dark' shows. We've had corps do artsy shows. We've had 'clever', and minimalist and Fellini-esque and psychedelic and you name it shows. Prepare for Angry. Animal Farm in comparison was just sarcastic with a touch of upset. Wicked Games was dark with a touch of brooding.

What is coming this year is controlled and brutal anger. I know it because even Gino was surprised enough by it to raise an eyebrow and say out loud, "these kids are very good at doing angry".

Anyways, I'm calling it right now. Top 4.

They'll fight it out with someone, possibly Cavs. Here's the Shamaliyan plot twist though. It's entirely too early to tell of course, but if they keep ramping up their power level at this same rate, they may very well leave 4th in their wake.

There, I said it. There is a definite possibility that, despite all I just said and what I've just predicted, that I might be underestimating them."

This is very exciting to read.  I would think this is accurate regarding the brass.  I heard snippets recently and they sound different.  More mature for certain.  No question there is more power.  They sounds holy #%$& good.   We thought Boston finally got loud last year?  Wait til this year.   I understand there are many new brass MM's.  The talent level has been raised. The demand from the book has increased and the expectations on the MM's performance level from the instructional staff has also increased.  I have little doubt that with the guidance from the entire instructional staff, the MM's are in good hands, and that is in all areas.  I would not be surprised at all to see the double jump again.  12 to 6, now very very possibly 6 to 3.  2 weeks until Spring Training in VT.  Stop in and see them. Volunteer to help out.   Castleton College, Castleton, VT.

Percussion May 15, Brass and Guard May 18. they are there for a month.  Eat em up Boston. ..|.|...

• Like 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1