Boston Crusaders 2018

5 hours ago, drummergirl said:

@Liahona Are you finished trying to discredit me yet? 

I get on tour and members and staff are complaining to me about not getting enough to eat. I go to Walmart to buy ice and the corps card is declined and I have to pay for it out of my own pocket with not one person apologized said thank you. Those are just two small examples of what I personally experienced. I really don’t want to continue this conversation as I’m not interested in airing dirty laundry. 

It is my opinion but after spending 09 and 12 with Cadets and 17 with Boston, working the food trucks and making food purchases, the food was lightyears better at Cadets. 

Truth be told I could almost care less about this season of DCI in general. I’m not even interested in reading DCP anymore. Probably won’t go to the theater or the one show near me this season. 

and where is the pre-mix Peanutbutterjelly !!! if it aint BROWN........ it aint going down.

Sounds to me like there is more sour grapes than "terrible" food at issue here. 

• Thanks 2

More food for thought:

Excerpt from I Ran Away with the Drum Corps

August 1, 2017

"Some of the comments and messages that I received related to some of the topics that I raised in my story. One topic in particular dealt with food. Since this is an area of interest for me, I have dwelt on it greatly. Firstly, BAC has a very fine food service program that is highly supported by donations. Each day, the corps sends their thanks to individual donors by way of a Facebook posts of photos and messages from BAC members. You can tell by their smiles and their physiques that they are happy and fit. The corps has been receiving much love and support from countless volunteers that have hitched on during the long July slog through the hot south. BBQs, ice machines and creamies have been standard fare. Steve, a dedicated alumnus has been in touch and I learned that his family supplies Vermont maple syrup during spring training. He will be bringing some to Lawrence next month.

Under the principle of ‘we can always do better’ for kids in all of the corps, I have been thinking about food, not only for it’s nutritional importance but also it’s effect on the competitive edge. Certainly a well-fed corps is important for being able to compete at the top level. But, shouldn’t all corps’ members have the best food and service available, not withstanding their success on the field? No kid should get less. So, I have decided to talk to Garry, the BAC board member and others about this to explore what DCI and all corps do to collaborate on best practices. Sharing good ideas and pooling resources among the corps for food sources, waste management practices, and reduction in transportation impacts can have an overall positive effect on the activity. I assume that the kids would respond to initiatives to make drum corps activities healthier and cleaner and they may be the best resource for ideas."

• Like 2

It’s funny, if you go to one of the BAC home shows, especially one where a special meal has been prepared, the steak and lobster dinners, the back in the day crowd, who likely helped with the serving and preparation will joke about the difference in food when they marched and today. Of course the kids are not eating steak and lobster every day, but my understanding is BAC has a good reputation for food. Actually most corps seem to have a good reputation for quality, the problems that seem to surface involve portion size and in some cases, options for people with non-voluntary dietary restrictions. I heard one comply at finals by a parent who claimed her daughter’s corps did not accommodate her medical dietary needs but had vegan choices for one member. I don’t know which corps, but there could be two sides to that story.

The college I attended was somewhat strict and we did not have a choice of meals. We were also required to stay at meals for at least 30 minutes. I enjoyed my college experience and overall enjoyed the meals. Those who were not happy with the college often complained about the meals. Emotions can often play a role in how much we enjoy food. I’m sure by the end of tour, food gets monotonous for just about everyone and that probably has little to do with quality, it just happens, but if someone is unhappy with the corps they march with, the food could seem one hundred times worse than it actually is, which is probably human nature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onionhead said:

and where is the pre-mix Peanutbutterjelly !!! if it aint BROWN........ it aint going down.

When my Uncle Sam came calling at age 19 and interrupted by Drum Corps marching days, I  found myself suddenly eating slop out of a metallic container they called a " mess kit ". Boy, they named it right... lol

• Like 5

12 hours ago, music4278 said:

I just arrived home from Crusaders rehearsal in Castleton. I saw a run through of Sensemaya without met - amazing! The intensity was staggering. I do not say this lightly, but they could medal this year. 

The hit on Salvation is Created brought tears to my eyes. They are way beyond their work at this point last year. There is balance throughout the ensemble but the baritones - OMG. The demand is also very engaging - I cannot say enough positives about Boston this year! Good job everyone!

You are right about the baritones.  Incredibly strong.  Best bari section, imo, that Boston has ever had.  By far!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Shovel Fenway in the winter?

Well if they rolled out the tarps at Fenway, that experience could be used today in DCI anyway.

28 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

You are right about the baritones.  Incredibly strong.  Best bari section, imo, that Boston has ever had.  By far!

Musical.. terrific tone quality... and when the passage calls for fortissimo, it sure as heck is present in this season's Boston Crusaders brass line, imo.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, music4278 said:

I just arrived home from Crusaders rehearsal in Castleton. I saw a run through of Sensemaya without met - amazing! The intensity was staggering. I do not say this lightly, but they could medal this year. 

The hit on Salvation is Created brought tears to my eyes. They are way beyond their work at this point last year. There is balance throughout the ensemble but the baritones - OMG. The demand is also very engaging - I cannot say enough positives about Boston this year! Good job everyone!

you just brought this proud band dad to tears also.

• Like 3