Boston Crusaders 2018

3 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

Jim - they had a singer for you.

I’m all for singers. Especially with Boston 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Haha 3

That was very well performed. Marimba Spiritual was dope. And...it was...fine? It was fine.

Maybe I'm just jaded on Boston. Or my personality is just broken with regards to this specific corps, because they're the one finalist corps for which my year-in, year-out reaction is generally "fine."

Like, the most recent Boston show I reacted to in a "that was awesome" way was probably early-season Animal Farm, and that mostly in a "whoa, they went there" sort of way. And before that was probably 2009. Individual moments have been great, of course (THAT SOLOIST IN 2011, the tunnel entrance in prelims in 2013, FIRE PRETTY), but...they just kinda feel flat to me, year-to-year.

That said, they performed what they had very well (I was iffy on the Sensemaya entrance, but it eventually developed into what I wanted it to be). Definitely on a higher level than pre-2017; probably on a higher level than 2017 (harder to judge 2017-2018 because the difference isn't quite as stark as 2016-2017 was, obviously). I expect they'll do well. Just...not my thing, I guess?

Edited by ftwdrummer
  • Like 2

Just now, Ghost said:

BoyWonder might have to change his prediction.

They can hang with any I’ve heard to date. 

• Like 1

..and wait til you see the guard and drill! 

:thumbup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

That was very well performed. Marimba Spiritual was dope. And...it was...fine? It was fine.

Maybe I'm just jaded on Boston. Or my personality is just broken with regards to this specific corps, because they're the one finalist corps for which my year-in, year-out reaction is generally "fine."

Like, the most recent Boston show I reacted to in a "that was awesome" way was probably early-season Animal Farm, and that mostly in a "whoa, they went there" sort of way. And before that was probably 2009. Individual moments have been great, of course (THAT SOLOIST IN 2011, the tunnel entrance in prelims in 2013, FIRE PRETTY), but...they just kinda feel flat to me, year-to-year.

That said, they performed what they had very well (I was iffy on the Sensemaya entrance, but it eventually developed into what I wanted it to be). Definitely on a higher level than pre-2017; probably on a higher level than 2017 (harder to judge 2017-2018 because the difference isn't quite as stark as 2016-2017 was, obviously). I expect they'll do well. Just...not my thing, I guess?

Totally agree with you. Honestly, after all the hype on these boards and the top 3 predictions I was expecting more. Listened to wicked games right after today’s performance and thought design wise 2017 was much better, even at concert in the park you could feel an emotional connection.

btw...I do agree that the brass does sound better then this time last year.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

This is gonna be the longest week ever.  Seriously. 

Agreed. Have fun!

• Like 2