Boston Crusaders 2018

There is no doubt that entry into the top 3 is a major undertaking.  I wonder if some of the naysayers were the same folks who proclaimed only one year ago that the new staff would never be able to work together and the best BAC could hope for might be 8th or 9th.  One fellow even referred to the Building A Champion motto as wishful thinking.  I wonder what they will say in two months. Or in 14 months. In any event, it is only a matter of time. The 2018 version of Boston is going to be a formidable powerhouse regardless. Eat'em Up!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Really, anything can happen.  The Bluecoats jumped right past the Cadets in 2015 for 3rd place in semis and opened up the spread in finals.  

Yup, Cavies (and BD) have made some upsets too.  It's not over until August.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Really, anything can happen.    

..... when you don't give up. You keep at it till you figure it out. Over and over and over again. Then when you figure it out, it becomes that much sweeter.

Related image

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Staying at the very top (i.e. top 3) poses many challenges for a corps.  Besides staff and talent level, there is the average age thing.  MMs in World Class are still developing and maturing.  After adolescence, a few years does not make a huge difference.  Generally speaking, between years 17 and 22 there is a big difference in maturity, coordination, attention span, etc.  

2016: Boston had many qualities that made them who they are.  Highlights include good member retention, work ethic, and attitude (e.g. never giving up even when hovering in 14th place).

2017: (all of the above, plus) An A-list staff, and some superstar additions (mostly in guard) vaulted them solidly into the middle of finalists.

2018: (all of the above, plus) much stronger talent in brass/percussion, ratcheted up difficulty in music book, and guard maintaining elite potential.  Of course it all depends on how everyone else is, but it is expected that Boston could make a solid entry into the top 5 and medaling is definitely possible.

2019 (and beyond): to become a consistent medalist or championship contender, a corps needs to maintain the above, and also have the advantage (and challenge) of the oldest MMs.  The oldest and most experienced are generally the most capable members.  Unfortunately, they're about to expire from the activity.  BD is the best at replenishing experienced MMs.  Age-out, ring chasers have at least a 50/50 chance with BD (lately). 

Getting Boston to be a consistent medalist (or contender) is going to require them to be convincing to the pool of most talented and most experienced MMs.  This pool tends to be finicky with all champions except BD.  The last three non-BD champions have landed 4-5 in follow up years... arguably because 21 y.o. potential recruits went elsewhere.      

Edited by Ediker
clarity

1 hour ago, craiga said:

There is no doubt that entry into the top 3 is a major undertaking.  I wonder if some of the naysayers were the same folks who proclaimed only one year ago that the new staff would never be able to work together and the best BAC could hope for might be 8th or 9th.  One fellow even referred to the Building A Champion motto as wishful thinking.  I wonder what they will say in two months. Or in 14 months. In any event, it is only a matter of time. The 2018 version of Boston is going to be a formidable powerhouse regardless. Eat'em Up!

Haha yup, I knew they were going to do better but I didn't imagine top 6 in one year. That's why I'm shutting up and seeing where they go from here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Haha yup, I knew they were going to do better but I didn't imagine top 6 in one year. That's why I'm shutting up and seeing where they go from here.

It's all good and I cannot wait to see the season progress. I like their plan....it's working!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Yup yup yup.  Sit back and ride the wave. 

Just watched their concert in the park.  Holy COW!!!! May have to revise my predictions.  This is a seriously amazing corps with a killer music book.  If the visual is as good as the music I just heard then look out DCI! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Just watched their concert in the park.  Holy COW!!!! May have to revise my predictions.  This is a seriously amazing corps with a killer music book.  If the visual is as good as the music I just heard then look out DCI! 

I agree - I really like the up tempos - sounds like it's going to be be fast and exciting! I like the Amazing Grace quote as well -- 

• Like 2