Boston Crusaders 2018

That was another great performance by Boston!  Decided to post the love on here since there seems to be a lot of negativity on the show thread.  I love the additions to the show and the amount of movement these members do is just stunning!!  Keep it up Boston, you're amazing!!

• Like 9

On 7/14/2018 at 10:20 AM, Bluzes said:

dci should afford each core with access to LOS to perform sound checks like any other musical event. OK throw the cost at me but somehow Boston was able tp pay to get the place to themselves that year. I posted this on another thread but here are my thoughts on amplification today. Decent home stereos come with listening devices so they can set the acoustics of the room because sound is directional from modern speakers and this year some Corps are using line array speakers where rock groups can bounce sounds off the walls at will.

Amplification first we need to understand the purpose. Is it for clarity of the spoken word common in the shows today, loudness (1984 PR used db meters to tone down William Tell) so it can't be that. That leaves acoustical modeling (blending) of the music a wonderful goal.

Then we ask the near impossible out of the Corps audio engineers. Set up an line array speaker system in a unknown acoustic environment that changes every show w/o any sound checks and in less than 17 minutes. Hats off to them for pulling this off. There needs to be a recognition of how many watts you require for a particular venue but the engineers are not afforded that opportunity,

I like loud but at times there is a fuzzy mush of sound on the low end from amped corps. At times amplification creates an conflict between the visual and the auditory that wasn't notched in the past. Quite frankly I don't know where to sit anymore and wish I could move after I see where the speakers are placed.

I am a Professional Sound Engineer I do this kind of stuff every day. You are right, they corps should be allotted time to go in and tune out their system at least for Lucas Oil Stadium. The company I work for is currently bidding on a University Graduation Ceremony and we got a file from the stadium to do some acoustical analysis for setting up our speakers. Much bigger line array system. L Acoustics VDOSC if you are familiar. We also on a Kudos system. I have been getting the owner and his partner familiar with DCI. They are amazed at what they are doing. Setting up so quick and no pre check. We tuned out our system for like 2 hours recently before the band Train rocked out on it. 

I can say say that BAC is using 4 ground stacked arrays. 2 in close and 2 further out. Each stack has 3 full range and one Sub. It is the best sounding I’ve heard them ever. I talked with their Engineer in Orlando. I do have a few suggestions for them that I’ll make direct, but it’s not as bad as when they were using point source. 

Im an alumni of BAC, I want the best for them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

That was another great performance by Boston!  Decided to post the love on here since there seems to be a lot of negativity on the show thread.  I love the additions to the show and the amount of movement these members do is just stunning!!  Keep it up Boston, you're amazing!!

It's just sour grapes on their part...no big deal.

• Like 3

Strong guard and percussion cont scores... good signs!

• Like 2

I don't have Flo. I'll let it go. I happened upon a video of Boston at Orlando. Staging, transitions, dynamics are there. Kudos Kids. Enjoyed the view. Best to you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I thought the corps was great tonight.  I would have placed them in 3rd. 

Congrats Devs and Blooo!

Fun times (except in the show thread lol)

BAC staff and kids know what to improve upon and add.

Hopefully these adjudicators also get less peri-washed and more peer/staff critiqued and  evaluated.

Safe and hydrated travels to Texas. BAC (en fuego) Giants.

••|•|••• ♥ Ro-ah ~ Y'all.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CorpwithanS said:

Congrats Devs and Blooo!

Fun times (except in the show thread lol)

BAC staff and kids know what to improve upon and add.

Hopefully these adjudicators also get less peri-washed and more peer/staff critiqued and  evaluated.

Safe and hydrated travels to Texas. BAC (en fuego) Giants.

••|•|••• ♥ Ro-ah ~ Y'all.

I try to be honest and I’ll say there’s not a whole lot I love this year so far.  I love three corps, like some of them...others...well, I say nothing.  Boston is one of the three I love. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I thought the corps was great tonight.  I would have placed them in 3rd. 

As did I! It seemed to be such an inspired run, very cohesive IMO, especially in the Dome Dome Dome Dome Dome

• Like 1
  • Haha 2