2017 Open Class Championships - Aug 8

What a great first half!  Everyone is stepping up their game.  Quick thoughts:

The Company - Fantastically put together show, incredible visual aesthetic.  Brass has some serious power too.  

Raiders - Love all the familiar music, they have some amazing soloists.  Color guard really grabbed my attention.  

River City Rhythm - WAY better run tonight to me, brass especially.  Love the tenor feature where they bend and change the drums positions.

Southwind - I love everything.  But really, that brass section and overall music program are to die for.  Their mellos earned a seat on the same bus as Blue Stars and SCVs.  Phenomenal writing an playing.  

Guardians - One of my favorite show designs in Open Class this year, love the duality between sanity and insanity expressed through Kanye West of all things.  The second half of the show.....oh man.  Love the bones and drum feature on the ramp, that's fantastic stuff.  

7th Regiment - Incredibly controlled and beautiful performance.  Love the props, they give the theme very clear direction.  And that Total Eclipse of the Heart closer as the sun and moon meat is an amazing moment.  

Gold - Enjoyed this one way more tonight, very clean and well designed show.  Brass has great tone, drums have some great moments, and the guard is great.  Loved the drill to close the show.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

So during the break - which was your *favorite* show so far? If you have a rooting interest, pick a different corps!

Mine is probably RCR. Love those drums and that ballad.

Mike

• Overall Show - Guardians
  • Favorite Performance - Southwind
  • Brass - Southwind because...POWER!
  • Color Guard - Guardians because of the two featured members.  
  • Percussion - River City Rhythm is GREAT!  
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeN said:

So during the break - which was your *favorite* show so far? If you have a rooting interest, pick a different corps!

Mine is probably RCR. Love those drums and that ballad.

Mike

Southwind for everything.

• Like 1

Guardians easily. Kanye on a drum corps field?! Hell yeah

Southwind was fantastic also. Good to see them doing well again