Historic Possibilities?

So going in to finals last year there were a lot of possibilities that were historic in nature. These included Bluecoats 1st championship, their completion of earning all finals positions, 1st championship for the state of Ohio, Academy's 1st top 12 appearance and 1st for the state of Arizona, the end of BD's stranglehold on the CG caption award and the possible end of Boston's long standing run as a finalist.

This year not so much. Assuming placements remain relatively the same as they are going in- There will be no new finalists, no corps is going for its highest placement ever, all corps have achieved their likely placement in previous years (this won't even be the 1st year that happened- it happened in 2012), this exact same group of finalist have been the top 12 in previous years- it happened in 2014 and again in 2015, and it does not look like any group will be winning a caption award for the first time.

Other than a return to a Californian top two- last occurred in 1986 with BD 1st and SCV 2nd and 1981 with SCV 1st and BD 2nd (didn't count the '99 tie), Cadets worst finals placement since 1981 and the slight possibility that this year's top 3 will break the record of slimmest score margin between medalists (.55 record set in 1980 by BD, 27 and Bridgemen) what other outcomes of historical could we see this week?

Some years we know the results will be historic. You mentioned 2016 with Bluecoats winning and Academy making finals. 2013 and Crown's first victory is another. Some are not expected. For example in 2008, I'm not sure too many predicted Phantom going from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. 

I'm not sure any of the shows are innovative enough to be historic, which is not a slight, though I would say Boston Crusaders will be remembered for having a memorable show as well as a huge jump in placement. I think we'd have to upsets and unexpected movement for the overall year to be historic. Mandarins making finals would likewise be historic, though that is looking less of a possibility. Academy surging could domit as well, though again that seems unlikely.   Since it's the 45th anniversary of DCI, the 60th Birthday of Blue Devils and 50th of Santa Clara, that is historic. However, historic or not, it will be a great three days.

First time since 1979 The Cadets didn't win a single show. Also, Cadets may break the record for longest show title announcement ever!

Possibly the highest brass caption score for blue stars ever. 

Highest placement ever for Mandarins, even if it's not in finals. 

Possibly the highest placement and/or score for an open class corps. (Recognizing the accomplishments of Magic 2002, of course. But that was definitely an exception. Also, they were Div. II)

Surely this will be the most speakers and microphones in finals ever. 

• Like 3

I'm sure this has been stated dozens of times, but when was the last time Boston finished ahead of Cadets? Sorry for asking again.

• Like 1

It pains me to say it, but this year will mark the largest number of consecutive years that Phantom has failed to make the top six since first making finals in 1974 (the last streak was 1998-2000, then they returned to the top six in 2001). I'm hoping they can climb back up next year. Also, unless they break 90 in at least one show this weekend, this will be the first season they have failed to score 90 since 1986.

Edited by prcbgcc874

Boston is close to beating their highest score of all time which is 92.45

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I'm sure this has been stated dozens of times, but when was the last time Boston finished ahead of Cadets? Sorry for asking again.

1970? 

10 minutes ago, prcbgcc874 said:

It pains me to say it, but this year will mark the largest number of consecutive years that Phantom has failed to make the top six since first making finals in 1974 (the last streak was 1998-2000, then they returned to the top six in 2001). I'm hoping they can climb back up next year. Also, unless they break 90 in at least one show this weekend, this will be the first season they have failed to score 90 since 1986.

Sad, yet interesting.

35 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

"Last Crusader finish over 'Garfield' ":

Hanover PA, 1980.

Boston Crusaders  56.7, Garfield Cadets 56.5

Scores courtesy CorpsReps

Elphaba       :flower: