Carolina Gold ?

8 hours ago, Gary Matczak said:

The voting corps themselves vote on such matters, not the officers,.........................I can't wait to see attendance explode next year in Williamsport.....................

And drop hard once people see it

• Like 1

Maybe from some quarters, Jeff. The venue seems to have a large built in local/semi-local audience seeing how many folks showed up for this contest. The contingent of Bucs homers were not at this show, they would have had that sizeable addition as well. Maybe some stay home- but I'd think the local folks will come, and come in larger numbers than for this contest.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I was closer to that endeavor than most. Some miscalculations were made early on by the sponsoring group, and in typical, laid back Southern Style, some items too slow to develop. But, overall, there were good "bones" there to create a better situation than what was being found in Scranton. Essentially, the DCA leadership was a little afraid to chance the status quo, I think. It chose the "known already." The safe option. That's fine.

Fred, what was the attendance at that Winston-Salem show? Wasn't it something like 3,000-3,500 or so? 

If that's the case, that's better than many DCA shows.

Edited by Fran Haring

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Fred, what was the attendance at that Winston-Salem show? Wasn't it something like 3,000-3,500 or so? 

If that's the case, that's better than many DCA shows.

The Chairman of the organizing group, Tom, told me days later it was roughly 3600. I do not know how many were paid ticket holders. Obviously, at that huge facility it certainly LOOKED small.  This will sound  strange, but the beauty of that turnout was that it was NOT primarily regular drum corps fans! I saw several local band groups sitting in blocks, for example.  There was something there to build on, no doubt.

No matter what, it was DCA's call, and I trust they made the right decision at that point in history. The new Rochester stadium and organizers in that city were VERY solid, too, of course.

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

Finals are never going to move out of THE NE because the voting block controls and dictates where it's held . And that is controlled by NE corps . Period ! 

When did I ever mention that finals would move out of the NE?

I didn't.   

I only said that there's a few corps that are in the "NE" that do travel plenty for their shows.  

FWIW, Annapolis is NOT in the Northeast... if you really want to go there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

The Chairman of the organizing group, Tom, told me days later it was roughly 3600. I do not know how many were paid ticket holders. Obviously, at that huge facility it certainly LOOKED small.  This will sound  strange, but the beauty of that turnout was that it was NOT primarily regular drum corps fans! I saw several local band groups sitting in blocks, for example.  There was something there to build on, no doubt.

No matter what, it was DCA's call, and I trust they made the right decision at that point in history. The new Rochester stadium and organizers in that city were VERY solid, too, of course.

Just too bad that they didn't have a Rochester based corps to compete :(

1 hour ago, ErieSopMike said:

When did I ever mention that finals would move out of the NE?

I didn't.   

I only said that there's a few corps that are in the "NE" that do travel plenty for their shows.  

FWIW, Annapolis is NOT in the Northeast... if you really want to go there.

Solidly in the Mid-Atlantic.  LOL.

Great town. Love doing stuff there. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Its not going to be anywhere near what you think it is. They have really smart people in place with a really good plan. A lot of the questons I had after being there last year have been put to rest.

It's going to be fine, and in most cases, better than Rochester.

What was the attendance like at Williamsport this past Saturday?  Anyone know ?

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I don't like Rochester but it's accessible by air.  If I go to Williamsport, I'd have to fly to Harrisburg, drive over 100 miles...or I could fly to Williamsport with no less than one stop, and it costs a bazillion dollars....so I'm not going.   And I know easily six midwesterners who aren't going.  Probably more. 

It will be great for those in the northeast.  But those outside the region...