Carolina Gold ?

48 minutes ago, BigW said:

Around 2 hours from Harrisburg to Williamsport. If you don't stop at BJ's in Selinsgrove for a lovely dinner like I did. Yes, the traffic from Selinsgrove through up to the 11/15 split is stop and go. Not as bad as my old commute to work in Harrisburg. Still not as bad as my new commute because at least clueless pedestrians don't wander about aimlessly in traffic not caring whether a car is on the street like they do in Steelton. (When and not if, there will be an incident over that that will cause some kind of riot, I'm terrified some Steelton cluck will wander/stagger/bumble into my car and start the mess. You heard it here first.) Oh, and people don't just stop like they do in Steelton in the middle of the street to hold a lengthy conversation with someone on the sidewalk and block traffic for several minutes... I've made worse runs to places. Easier and safer drive to Williamsport than to Clifton from here to be frank.

Granted the City may not be what certain people want... but as in Annapolis, some folks will not go that did to Rochester... and some folks will go to Williamsport that did not and would not care to go to Rochester. As I've said, they seem to have a built in local audience that's really appreciative. The town also appears to care about hosting. People at the A-Plus asked me how the show went and the clerk at the register wanted to go and couldn't get off his shift. So, my guess is to get tickets early if you're caring to go, the locals/folks nearby will fill 60-65 percent of the seats minimum.

I'm sure they'll do great.  I just can't at this point.  Maybe I'll change my mind but I don't think so.  We'll see what the site is in 2020. 

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Around 2 hours from Harrisburg to Williamsport. If you don't stop at BJ's in Selinsgrove for a lovely dinner like I did.

And there are Paneras conveniently located on Rte. 15 in Selinsgrove and Lewisburg!!! :tongue:

20 hours ago, UNCGQ said:

Not to 'derail' the discussion from the turn it took, but just wanted to chime in regarding why we're not at the CV show in a couple of weeks and choose to go to Reading to end the season for those that like the 'inside baseball' type of discussion.  

Most out there who have been involved at the admin level of various corps over the years know that a million different 'non-obvious' reasons factor into why a group does or doesn't do a particular show and this is one of those. 

We love the guys 'down the road' in Atlanta absolutely to death as Dan and crew will attest, but for us, with Champs in Rochester the next weekend, we're able to leave both equipment trailers and renal truck in the PA area after the show saving on transport costs of those and 'wear and tear' on the trailers and drivers, and although there are many other smaller 'contributing factors', that one is the most significant. We perform in Charlotte Pride the following day and anything we can do to make trip a little more tolerable before heading north a few days later factors large into the discussion when we piece together a schedule. 

The loss of the Downingtown show hurt and the lack of a performance opportunity at the end of July that we normally have hurt as well. But with that said, there wasn't much anybody was able to do between the loss of the stadium for the PA show, the lack of the dome for the DCI show, etc. We'd of course like more performance opportunities for the members, more scores and additional input from the judging community but the season thus far has turned out how it has turned out, and that's not the fault of any of the show sponsors of those two events. Some years are just like that. 

We'd of course love to just post the video of the run from our Friends & Family show last weekend, but as you all know, it today's world of Copyright litigation, those days are long over. 

With that said, we have our last full rehearsal weekend coming up and look forward to seeing everybody in Reading and Rochester to close out the season before our three Independent Open indoor groups get rolling a few weeks later. 

Best wishes to all and see you on the 50!

-Larry Harper, Jr.

In the end, everyone has to do what is best for their group.  This is actually really smart.  I'd imagine that you're probably keeping your stuff where the Bucs keep theirs (for security purposes, you don't need to answer if you don't want to)?  Just seems logical if you're leaving it in the area.  The crowd in Exeter at the Reading show is always a very appreciative crowd, and for the sake of what this thread has turned into, you get judged by the judges in the northeast too (not to discredit any other judges, but to have the same judges that are scoring the top DCA corps, it helps give a good comparison in the long run).

Safe travels over the last month here coming up!

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and Reptile Land

Huh. That would be a point of interest for me.

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Huh. That would be a point of interest for me.

On Rte. 15, north of Lewisburg and south of Williamsport.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ErieSopMike said:

Back in the early 2000's, Mansfield University was a melting pot of all different corps.  We had people that marched Bluecoats, Jersey Surf and others for DCI and Reading, Empire, Syracuse, Skyliners in DCA (from what I can remember).  Dr. Brennan worked with the Empire pit, Matt Spatz was one of primary members of Fusion Core.  Needless to say, you'll have a lot of influence from Mansfield University at DCA's more than likely.

John Bender, Reading's Feature Bari in the late 70's/early 80's was a proud Mansfield grad and became a good friend and compatriot in crime later on. I deeply miss John. Deeply. Watching him play in that 1977 PBS Broadcast was a serious influence on me later joining Westshore. Larry Kuntz played Lead Soprano with Westshore when I was there, also from Mansfield. Same with Big Brother Craig Wert, Westshore, later with Empire.

Lots of ribbing all around since I'm a WCU grad, but the Mansfield people I've known- I've felt close to so many, all respect.

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

And there are Paneras conveniently located on Rte. 15 in Selinsgrove and Lewisburg!!! :tongue:

Raw Oysters at BJ's, and good Chicago Steak. Even the freakin' Iced Tea is good. I do miss Tedd's Landing, though.

• Like 1

Never been to Reptiland- Though it's supposed to be really awesome if you truly crave a hands on educational experience with Snakes, Skinks, and Gators. :laugh:

The closest I got to any reptile Saturday was going to the Bullfrog Brewery. That... was the experience I craved. :innocent:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

John Bender, Reading's Feature Bari in the late 70's/early 80's was a proud Mansfield grad and became a good friend and compatriot in crime later on. I deeply miss John. Deeply. Watching him play in that 1977 PBS Broadcast was a serious influence on me later joining Westshore.

Great player and good guy!!!  My brother Lenny and he were friends when they were with Bucs and Sun those years.

20 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... I remember that construction zone in 1996 on our trip to Rochester. What a nightmare, from Williamsport all the way to the NYS line.

Now it's a nice scenic drive.

til 2012 LOL