Semifinals- who makes the cut

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

The mohel

:spitting:

I've seen both BDB and VC put up huge numbers by semis.  Wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them pass Troopers this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Definitely Vanguard Cadets, Blue Devils B, Legends, and Music City.  No offense to Jersey Surf and Pioneer.......but #### those four are REALLY good this year.  It's pretty hard to keep up with the pace Open Class is improving at.  

I think Seattle Cascades should make it in but it'll be a nail biter with Spartans who have made semifinals every year since they recombined World/Open Class at Prelims.  I think Seattle Cascades have their best show post 2009 this year, Open Class is again just exploding in quality and talent.  

I don't think Genesis has anything to worry about, loved Louisiana Stars but that's who would have to beat Genesis to make 6 Open Class corps in Semis happen and I don't see that happening.  I feel like Genesis is getting underscored, would love to see them get some big bumps over the next two days.  

I agree - those 4 are pretty clearly the top tier of OC. Music City vs. Jersey Surf will depend on how fired up (hah! ... go watch Music City, it will make more sense) they are on Thursday.  I think the other three are locks. 

Mike

2 hours ago, afd said:

Semis use to be the top 17 making it. Kinda glad they extended this to 25. Good for the activity and performers for their last performance of the year.

One of the considerations mentioned years ago that I'm amazed nobody remembers is that letting OC into Prelims means one extra guaranteed performance, which makes it more feasible to spend the money to come all the way to Indy, especially for California corps.  In the spirit of that, the corps getting the shaft now are Pioneer, Jersey Surf - any WC corps who might not make top 25.  How is it fair (to the organization, not speaking competitively) that Les Stentors, Impulse and Shadow get two guaranteed shows (OC Prelims, WC Prelims) and Pioneer, Jersey, etc get one (WC Prelims) this week? 

I'd like to see it changed so that all WC corps are guaranteed to play at Semis as well, along with any OC corps that break the top 25 in scores.  (Like what OC does already with international corps.)  It would only add roughly 3-4 corps to the Friday show (usually that's how many OC corps make top 25), but gets those extra WC corps another date in the dome.  For the bottom group of WC corps, this is a not-insignificant bonus. 

Mike

• Like 2

Originally, corps 13-25 were called "associate corps" and it was considered an honor to make that group (at a time when there were a LOT more corps).

Then when they went to the quarters, semis, finals schedule it became 17. Now it's back up to 25.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MikeN said:

One of the considerations mentioned years ago that I'm amazed nobody remembers is that letting OC into Prelims means one extra guaranteed performance, which makes it more feasible to spend the money to come all the way to Indy, especially for California corps.  In the spirit of that, the corps getting the shaft now are Pioneer, Jersey Surf - any WC corps who might not make top 25.  How is it fair (to the organization, not speaking competitively) that Les Stentors, Impulse and Shadow get two guaranteed shows (OC Prelims, WC Prelims) and Pioneer, Jersey, etc get one (WC Prelims) this week? 

I'd like to see it changed so that all WC corps are guaranteed to play at Semis as well, along with any OC corps that break the top 25 in scores.  (Like what OC does already with international corps.)  It would only add roughly 3-4 corps to the Friday show (usually that's how many OC corps make top 25), but gets those extra WC corps another date in the dome.  For the bottom group of WC corps, this is a not-insignificant bonus. 

Mike

One could argue that corps like Pioneer and Surf aren't necessarily getting the shaft so much as not taking the steps needed to be competitive. I like Pio's show and know the members are working hard but would really love to see them step up competitively. 

• Like 1

True, but part of that step up might be DCI event planners helping the orgs get extra exposure.  Open Class gets more guaranteed appearances this week than World Class.  Just doesn't seem fair, especially considering the travel expenses involved in bringing all of these great groups together.

Mike

• Like 1

I make the cut for the very first time in 0years of never competing ever in my entire life. I will have the best run of my life that will never count cause there will be no record of such achievement and my performance was never known, so heading into prelims with the highest in 4 captions Never! Look out because here I come Automatically into the semis, ONLY in my dreams. LOL Dwlz ha ha

Edited by theonlyfizzle

I want to see Spartans make the cut. I'd love the same to happen for 7th Regiment too, but that is wishful thinking. I have to show the New England corps--all three the love, though this year I am resting much easier with Boston Crusaders than I was this time last year.

Spartans have a great show this year and one I see as a bit of a departure. I thought they would fare a bit better, but they are young this year. However, Spartans offer a good experience for marching members and from what I understand from parents of kids who march, a very good retention rate, so watch them next year. They do have a good track record st Lucas Oil Stadium, so I wouldn't count them out.