Is DCI becoming a 'non-marching/little drill' activity?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Those corps who are moving and playing simultaneously seem to be almost penalized for doing such.  I know a certain "bottom" corps experiencing this.  I can understand it a bit however - you can't hear feet in your playing if the feet aren't moving. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Well if you're too lazy to click back a page and read, then you're too lazy to have a valid opinion.

Tell me I am wrong on the following guess and I promise that I will indeed look up your post at hand:

In that post you will… a) Likely have a number of thick paragraphs in order to make your points; b) You will likely in some way cite your own expertise to possibly establish superiority on your opinion; c) You will likely state something about while many have opinions about G horns they probably do not have the same vast experience as you do.; d) You will likely also proceed to inform them that their opinions about G vs Bb are most probably unfounded; maybe even throw in a few mild snarks to make an impact;...

And after engaging in conversation here, I bet my guess about your posting there is rather accurate, without ever even looking it up and reading it. But if ya tell me my guess is wrong, I will indeed go look it up and read it.

Edited by Stu

I think what I'd rather do is publicly call you out for having already read the post in question and trying to pretend to be a lot smarter and insightful than you really are.  Nope.  That's not how I operate.  I've dealt with people like you before.  I'm not here to win anything......your approval or favor, least of all.

You either read the post and go from there.....or you step out of the discourse.  Those are your options.  Otherwise, we're done.

I truly hope we understand each other.  

After seeing all the OC corps this today, and attending Allentown, unless all the WC corps rewrote their drill, my verdict is no.

• Like 1

the only answer to the question in the thread title is yes

i've never been a wgi fan, but i'm learning to adapt

the choreography we're seeing rewarded instead of drill isn't "better" or "worse" than drill, and it certainly isn't easier than drill, imo.  it's just very different. 

get onboard, or bask in memories past with dvd's/blurays/CD's. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I think what I'd rather do is publicly call you out for having already read the post in question and trying to pretend to be a lot smarter and insightful than you really are.  Nope.  That's not how I operate.  I've dealt with people like you before.  I'm not here to win anything......your approval or favor, least of all.

You either read the post and go from there.....or you step out of the discourse.  Those are your options.  Otherwise, we're done.

I truly hope we understand each other.  

Ahhh... so I did guess correctly!!!  And with me having close to 8,000 posts on here many can attest that I am blunt, I am contentious, I have been called many names that have symbols like #@^*#,... but I bet a dollar to a doughnut that nobody can show that I have ever lied; and I am not lying about not reading your other post in the other thread; it was just a guess based on the vibe of your personality in this thread.  And apparently, I guessed correctly.  And that's no lie!!!

4 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that you and I aren't going to be friends.  And that's fine.  I'm not here to be your friend.

And if you're not willing to click back one page and hit control + F and type "a question for purists", an action that would take less than 10 seconds to execute , then I'm not willing to consider anything you have to talk about to be worthy of merit or consideration.

wow you're new and you already figured Stu out!!!

:spitting:

I just can't resist. Wow; epic game of intellectual one-upmanship. 

Since everyone gets to express their opinion, here's mine:

In drum corps, like elsewhere, it's adapt or die. You can complain, but drum corps is going to continue to change. It has to. Yes, I loved G bugles - and I'm apparently older than all of you (I played in 68 - 69). I love the Sr. Corps of the 50s and 60s. And the great soloists who came out of that era.

G bugles sound different than B flat because they have a larger bore - and more conical, so they are inherently louder. It's like an outside instrument vs. an indoor instrument. I play a G baritone today - a Kanstul 3 valve, and boy, it is a handful to play in tune. Since I grew up playing a Besson trumpet, I feel confident expressing the opinion that G bugles are not near as easy to tune as B flats. Not to mention that we, ahem, put a whole lot of air through those Gs which makes it even more difficult to keep in tune. But it is a unique sound and I miss it dearly.

Okay, the activity has moved on. I still go to shows. I love some shows, and hate others. I hate some aspects of today's corps, and love others. Some are greatly entertaining; others, meh. My mom, 83 years old, still goes to shows and still likes them. DCI is doing something right.

Here's the clincher: as I see the kids exiting after their performance, marching with military bearing, absolutely focused on what they're doing, I see . . . me 40 years ago. Some things haven't changed at all. This is a great activity.

• Like 1