A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

Just now, GUARDLING said:

Wanna deny it?or dont you have actual experience to address the statement

It's just that's all you ever type.  It accounts for well over a quarter of your total posts on this forum.  "It was exactly the same X number of decades ago".

No, it wasn't.  If it were, then this discussion wouldn't be happening every single day among fans.

Now you may sit there and say "Well all you ever say on here is that drum corps sucks today", and true as that may be, I'm bringing as many thoughts and ideas to the table I can think of to the discourse, in the hopes of rational discussion (which is genuinely rare inside this echo chamber).  Your contribution.....your ONLY contribution.....to the discourse is "Pfft, it was exactly the same back in my day".  And it wasn't.  Audience members weren't sticking their fingers in their ears "back in the day" because the amps were too hot like they're doing today, they were instead cupping their hands behind their ears so they could absorb as much of the bugle sound as they possibly could.  Now I could keep going with examples, but I have a feeling you're not too interested unless I give you an opportunity to type "Yeah yeah people have been saying that since the 70s", and I'm not having it.  No one in the 70s was saying "Which corps is that?  I can't tell because they're all wearing ballerina costumes".

5 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

It's just that's all you ever type.  It accounts for well over a quarter of your total posts on this forum.  "It was exactly the same X number of decades ago".

No, it wasn't.  If it were, then this discussion wouldn't be happening every single day among fans.

Now you may sit there and say "Well all you ever say on here is that drum corps sucks today", and true as that may be, I'm bringing as many thoughts and ideas to the table I can think of to the discourse, in the hopes of rational discussion (which is genuinely rare inside this echo chamber).  Your contribution.....your ONLY contribution.....to the discourse is "Pfft, it was exactly the same back in my day".  And it wasn't.  Audience members weren't sticking their fingers in their ears "back in the day" because the amps were too hot like they're doing today, they were instead cupping their hands behind their ears so they could absorb as much of the bugle sound as they possibly could.  Now I could keep going with examples, but I have a feeling you're not too interested unless I give you an opportunity to type "Yeah yeah people have been saying that since the 70s", and I'm not having it.  No one in the 70s was saying "Which corps is that?  I can't tell because they're all wearing ballerina costumes".

It's only your opinion and there is quite another side to every point to try to make. AS far as costumes..Yeah I'm sure your testosterone  soared in you feathered hats.,  and shiny buttons

AS far as back in the day. NO it wasn't the same, but it doesnt make it better or worse. BITD people said the same of those generations. THAT"S what I said

Edited by GUARDLING

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

LOL.you actually made some points until your last sentence. Then as usual you lose credibility. LOL. Pathetic

20 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

You say "If you want to change things, do something about it".  I AM doing something about it.  At least I'm trying.   All you're doing is saying that I shouldn't even bother to try.

I didn't say that to you. :) I did not tell you to not even bother.  Come on.  I am simply presenting a reason for why things did change and where we are now.  If you want to make a difference then you need to get involved. Your comments here are certainly welcome and will be discussed and argued for sure, but posting these things on DCP is not strong enough. You need to be in a position to influence change.  Executive directors, program coordinators, designers, staff, and marching members have the biggest say. They are the creators and performers. The fans also have a say. If they stop attending shows, that tends to say a lot. If attendance goes up, that also says a lot. 

Just now, jwillis35 said:

I didn't say that to you. :) I did not tell you to not even bother.  Come on.  I am simply presenting a reason for why things did change and where we are now.  If you want to make a difference then you need to get involved. Your comments here are certainly welcome and will be discussed and argued for sure, but posting these things on DCP is not strong enough. You need to be in a position to influence change.  Executive directors, program coordinators, designers, staff, and marching members have the biggest say. They are the creators and performers. The fans also have a say. If they stop attending shows, that tends to say a lot. If attendance goes up, that also says a lot. 

its easier just to make noise...lol

13 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

LOL. give it up already . It is now becoming pathetic.

As I said yesterday, at times you bring up points, but the second you make comments like "This is the year of leotards etc.  You again lose credibility. Grow up and find a new hobby if you dislike DCI so much.

You'd like that, wouldn't you?  The second an ideology threatens yours, your sensibility is "Love it or leave it".  No need to discuss it, just attack!  How about I love it, despite the efforts of DCI, along with individuals like you, to drive me away, and do all I can to help steer the activiity away from the disaster it is heading for?

2017 IS the year in which DCI hornlines and drumlines started wearing leotards.  That is a verifiable fact, and you cannot argue with that.  All you can do is pedantically try to debate the semantics behind the costume materials and nomenclature.....at the end of the day, it's a skintight leotard.  And that WILL be remembered in the history of the activity.  It's not a question of credibility (which seems to be YOUR one note..."lol u lose all credibility when u say something I don't like".....), it's a question of attacking rather than debating.  And if all you want to do is attack, flame and insult one's credibility.....you can do that to someone else, because just like Guardling, I'm not having it.  You're not adding anything to the discussion.  Love it or leave it. 

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

its easier just to make noise...lol

Which is exactly what Bobby is doing

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Executive directors, program coordinators, designers, staff, and marching members have the biggest say. 

And as I said, my message is squarely for them, not you.  Hopefully, some of them will see it.  Whether they take it to heart or not is on them, not me.

24 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

But at the end of the day, my comments aren't really for you.  They're for the corps directors and techs who read the comments on this site.  Let them read mine, and let them read yours.  Let THEM decide if they should listen to former supporters who have become disenfranchised with the direction of the activity, or listen instead to enablers who blindly praise everything they do without question, and whose mantra is "leave the past in the past".  You say "If you want to change things, do something about it".  I AM doing something about it.  At least I'm trying.   All you're doing is saying that I shouldn't even bother to try.

Since you are trying so hard to reach the directors and techs with your comments, and relying on them to sift through all of this DCP stuff is not very efficient, I trust that in your intelligence and wisdom you figured out the best way to communicate with them is directly face to face.  So, what has been their responses to your direct communication of concerns when you have approached them face to face in the lot during breaks?  Most are there; many are accessible and tend to like communicating with fans of the activity when they are available in situations that can accommodate a little down time.  What have they said to your 'direct' communications?  Or do you just rely on bloviating here on DCP expecting them to read your diatribes?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

You'd like that, wouldn't you?  The second an ideology threatens yours, your sensibility is "Love it or leave it".  No need to discuss it, just attack!  How about I love it, despite the efforts of DCI, along with individuals like you, to drive me away, and do all I can to help steer the activiity away from the disaster it is heading for?

2017 IS the year in which DCI hornlines and drumlines started wearing leotards.  That is a verifiable fact, and you cannot argue with that.  All you can do is pedantically try to debate the semantics behind the costume materials and nomenclature.....at the end of the day, it's a skintight leotard.  And that WILL be remembered in the history of the activity.  It's not a question of credibility (which seems to be YOUR one note..."lol u lose all credibility when u say something I don't like".....), it's a question of attacking rather than debating.  And if all you want to do is attack, flame and insult one's credibility.....you can do that to someone else, because just like Guardling, I'm not having it.  You're not adding anything to the discussion.  Love it or leave it. 

LOL. Seems you have the problem here. Trust me I appreciate your cause, But coming here and insulting marching members will get you nowhere. You still do not get it . Maybe you do not understand what credibility is. Yeah that is probably it.

• Like 1