A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

5 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Right you are BUT a few who may have gently gave a point of view, which is fine are totally different on line. Tail vey much between legs.

I wonder if this Cat had the yarbles to say these crass things directly to the face of the designers? I mean he wants respect!!! Then he needs to put his breath in the faces of them as opposed to expecting them to just lock in on his DCP finger typing.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and the spin is about the actual paid number.  

The announced paid attendance number for Montreal Finals Night in 1981 was " 35,947 ". Thats not an estimated number. Thats not a click number. Thats not a freebie included number. This was the announced number by DCI for Finals Night attendance in 1981. It would have been SO much easier for DCI to find the extra 53 " attendeees " to make the number " 36,000 ". But DCI didn't in 1981. They went with the PRECISE attendance figure of " 35, 947 ". These were DC officiaI numbers. DCI had plummeting Finals Night attendance numbers in the mid 90's.. more than a DECADE later. The Finals Night Attendance numbers fell.. to the high teens, low 20's. In order to avoid the embarrassment of the official released number from the 80's being compared to the plummeting 90's numbers, DCI... ( new people in the office, by now ) decided that the narrative was that those DCI official numbers... well... they really wern't accurate numbers. Todays's DCI numbers though, well you can now trust THESE DCI numbers now, but not THOSE DCI official numbers. Well, the problem with that is that the people that were present in 1981 AND at Finals Night in the 90's, know full well what we were seeing on these Finals Nights. DCI in 1981 did not have people walking willy nilly thru the turnstyles in a major stadium like Olympic Stadium, Montreal to somehow inflate the attendance figures so that DCI could say " look we are at ALMOST 36,000 people". No... DCI gave the official DCI announced Finals Night Attendance as a precise, paid figure of exactly "  35,947 " and it was that precise number, and no other number, that DCI announced was their OFFICIAL 1981 Finals Night Attendance Figure. I accept that number with the same faith and trust that I accept the last few DCI official Finals Night Attendance Figures. If DCI says their Finals Night Attendance figures are up the last few seasons, I accept it. The same faith and trust that I have that in 1981 DCI's official Finals Night Attendance  figure was equally as accurate and bonifide.

Edited by BRASSO

I will tell any director exactly what I think of the direction they're leading their corps, yes, even to their face, should the opportunity arise.  That's how passionate I am about this activity, and how strong my convictions are.  And I would certainly welcome that opportunity.

But that's between me and them.....not between me and a gang of trolls on a message board who can't think of any better way to contribute to the discourse than to speculate on my character and resolve.  This discussion isn't about me, it's about what's wrong in the drum corps activity.  I suggest you try to stay on topic.

53 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i would tell you but you blocked me.

lol. you got blocked. to be honest I thought I would before you my friend.

Sorry I have to go. I am writing drill for my high school band. An Adele tribute with the band in leotards.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

This discussion isn't about me, it's about what's wrong in the drum corps activity.  I suggest you try to stay on topic.

We will do our best to do so.  But I suggest that you try to stay away from gratuitous insults of today's corps and performers.  That does not help your street cred, at all.... and that's what has led to the responses to your diatribes. 

And please remember... what you think is "wrong in the drum cops activity" is not what everyone thinks is wrong. We all have our opinions on what's good and what we think needs to get better.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The announced paid attendance number for Montreal Finals Night in 1981 was " 35,947 ". Thats not an estimated number. Thats not a click number. Thats not a freebie included number. This was the announced number by DCI for Finals Night attendance in 1981. It would have been SO much easier for DCI to find the extra 53 " attendeees " to make the number " 36,000 ". But DCI didn't in 1981. They went with the PRECISE attendance figure of " 35, 947 ". These were DC officiaI numbers. DCI had plummeting Finals Night attendance numbers in the mid 90's.. more than a DECADE later. The Finals Night Attendance numbers fell.. to the high teens, low 20's. In order to avoid the embarrassment of the official released number from the 80's being compared to the plummeting 90's numbers, DCI... ( new people in the office, by now ) decided that the narrative was that those DCI official numbers... well... they really wern't accurate numbers. Todays's DCI numbers though, well you can now trust THESE DCI numbers now, but not THOSE DCI official numbers. Well, the problem with that is that the people that were present in 1981 AND at Finals Night in the 90's, know full well what we were seeing on these Finals Nights. DCI in 1981 did not have people walking willy nilly thru the turnstyles in a major stadium like Olympic Stadium, Montreal to somehow inflate the attendance figures so that DCI could say " look we are at ALMOST 36,000 people". No... DCI gave the official DCI announced Finals Night Attendance as a precise, paid figure of exactly "  35,947 " and it was that precise number, and no other number, that DCI announced was their OFFICIAL 1981 Finals Night Attendance Figure. I accept that number with the same faith and trust that I accept the last few DCI official Finals Night Attendance Figures. If DCI says their Finals Night Attendance figures are up the last few seasons, I accept it. The same faith and trust that I have that in 1981 DCI's official Finals Night Attendance  figure was equally as accurate and bonifide.

The thing is that there were no wristbands get you into finals back then.  You had to pay if you weren't in finals or performing an exhibition.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

We will do our best to do so.  But I suggest that you try to stay away from gratuitous insults of today's corps and performers.  That does not help your street cred, at all.... and that's what has led to the responses to your diatribes. 

And please remember... what you think is "wrong in the drum cops activity" is not what everyone thinks is wrong. We all have our opinions on what's good and what we think needs to get better.

I am not insulting the corps, I am criticizing the product.  A performance group is not immune to criticism, and if they take it as an insult, that's on them.

Now you can certainly call my criticisms gratuitous if you want to.  That's fine with me.  But there are gratuitous things happening in the activity today, and the only way to describe and discuss them is with gratuity in kind.  I don't have time to be nice, or to wear kid gloves.  I'm not trying to catch flies with honey here, I'm trying to swat flies with candid honesty.  I don't give a toss if small-minded sycophants on the internet like it or not (and that's not directed at you, Fran.  They know who they are....and if they don't like it, they need to stop acting the part).

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

2 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I am not insulting the corps, I am criticizing the product.  A performance group is not immune to criticism, and if they take it as an insult, that's on them.

Now you can certainly call my criticisms gratuitous if you want to.  That's fine with me.  But there are gratuitous things happening in the activity today, and the only way to describe and discuss them is with gratuity in kind.  I don't have time to be nice, or to wear kid gloves.  I'm not trying to catch flies with honey here, I'm trying to swat flies with candid honesty.

yawn........................

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

The thing is that there were no wristbands get you into finals back then.  You had to pay if you weren't in finals or performing an exhibition.  

Yes.

• Like 1