A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

Always the possibility actual GENERAL ADMISSION tickets were issued to performing members back in the days before wristband admittance. I've seen that occur. I'll just say, I was at Montreal, too. The crowd in the seats appeared quite large.

Oh, yes . . .  chairback seating with armrests spreads things out from the bleacher look, too!

Edited by Fred Windish

15 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

One can also say with all that was changing in the world, smaller local corps and support organizations disappearing ,kids with much more at their fingertips than previous decades, bad management, etc etc. Maybe those very changes are what kept  the activity alive? Iknow for sure many of the founders thought so.

Is change always good? Of course not, Do we need to keep trying and move forward. IMO absolutely yes. Agree or disagree,Just a thought.

Ah yes.  The changes must be working because even though the activity is a mere shell of what it used to be, at least it is still alive.

Believe what you want.  I imagine your belief echoes that of influential people in the activity, who long ago gave up on the idea of "vive la difference" and embraced every change imaginable to align with marching band.

15 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

How do we know it was changes that DCI made in the 70s and 80s that caused the attendance to decline? Maybe that had more to do with societal changes, things that were beyond anyone's control. Maybe some people got old and moved on in their lives.  I think it's unfair to lay the blame at DCI's feet.  I know for a fact that society will always have an influence on the arts, the same way the stock market affects companies. Sometimes things are good, and other times the market will correct itself. Things were bound to change -- that is an absolute fact. 

How do we know it was changes that DCI made that caused the attendance to uptick slightly in the past few years?

13 hours ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

2017 IS the year in which DCI hornlines and drumlines started wearing leotards.  That is a verifiable fact, and you cannot argue with that.   

Then could you remind my ailing memory which corps did that?  I cannot think of anyone whose hornline or drumline were wearing nothing but a leotard.  Some guard people, sure.  Bodysuits for hornline/drumline, sure.  But horns/drums in just leotards?

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Always the possibility actual GENERAL ADMISSION tickets were issued to performing members back in the days before wristband admittance. I've seen that occur. I'll just say, I was at Montreal, too. The crowd in the seats appeared quite large.

Oh, yes . . .  chairback seating with armrests spreads things out from the bleacher look, too!

No.  If you didn't make finals, you had to buy a ticket.  Kids who ran out of money just stayed back at the school.  I still have the tickets I had to buy to get into the finals shows. 

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No.  If you didn't make finals, you had to buy a ticket.  Kids who ran out of money just stayed back at the school.  I still have the tickets I had to buy to get into the finals shows. 

I'll take your word on that. I don't remember. I do know, DCI has used General Admission tickets for performer access.  My point is, discussing attendance as "matter of fact" is not easy.  It was a large crowd in Montreal . . . . this is certain!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I'll take your word on that. I don't remember. I do know, DCI has used General Admission tickets for performer access.  My point is, discussing attendance as "matter of fact" is not easy.  It was a large crowd in Montreal . . . . this is certain!

After we performed in prelims, we got a participant's pass to watch the rest of prelims.  I still have those, too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

After we performed in prelims, we got a participant's pass to watch the rest of prelims.  I still have those, too.  

If I see you on an episode of Hoarders, I'll understand. :14_relaxed:

• Like 2