A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

How many businesses inflate their accomplishments?

We are talking about IRS tax filings and any attempt by an organization such as DCI to intentionally and illegally misrepresent paid receipts at a Championships show in its tax filings.  We all can assume that DCI does not misrepresent paid receipt numbers to the IRS.  Not in 1981. Not in the 1990's. Not today..Your question here for us then is not germane to this at all. ( but the answer would be " all the time "... and also " its not illegal, just unseemly")

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

And there's YOUR one note.  Love it or leave it.

No.

I'll love it AND despise what it's allowing people like you to turn it into.  And I'll fight to stop it.  I may lose.  But at least I will have fought, and not allowed small-minded people to prevent me from standing up for what I firmly believe in.  

AAAAANNNNNNDDDDDDD....

more insults.

(I don't think Bobby-Boy understands that MikeD is one of the few here who CAN prevent him from "standing up" for what he believes...if he doesn't figure out how to do it without insulting everyone around him.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

No.

I'll love it AND despise what it's allowing people like you to turn it into.  And I'll fight to stop it.  I may lose.  But at least I will have fought, and not allowed small-minded people to prevent me from standing up for what I firmly believe in.  

So, besides bloviate here, what have YOU done to change it Bobby?

I have to ask Bobby, when you type , do the insults you spew REALLY think in your mind that you are making your cause?

Edited by oldcadetsop

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

We are talking about IRS tax filings and any attempt by an organization such as DCI to intentionally and illegally misrepresent PAID RECEIPTS  in its tax filings. Your question here for us is not germane to this at all. ( but the answer would be " all the time "... and also " its not illegal, just unseemly")

No, we're not talking about "an organization such as DCI", we're talking about DCI intentionally misrepresenting "PAID RECEIPTS" (why are you yelling?  I understood the first time!).

If DCI announces that 35,000 paid receipts were totalled at finals, and they reported on 20,000 actual on their 990 reporting, what do you think the IRS would ask?

Answer: "Is the revenue number correct?" ("Yes")  "Did you spend that revenue on your mission?" ("Yes")  "Thank you.  How's the family?"

Edit: Oh, and further... What if DCI actually DID report revenue from 35,000 fans at finals instead of the actual 20,000 (or whatever)?:

IRS dude:  "Attendance was up I see, according to the revenue number.  Was it really 35,000?"

DCI dude:  "Why yes!  Yes it was!"

IRS dude:  "Did you spend all of that on your mission?"

DCI dude:  "Why yes!  Yes we did!"

IRS dude:  "Oh, I see right here that your revenue and expenses line up nicely, and your assets reflect the over/under!  How's the dog?"

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

No.

Who is trying to stop you from standing up for what you believe in? Most of the people writing here are commenting on the personal attacks you continue to make, which as I said earlier is contrary to DCP guidelines that you agreed to in order to join. 

Plenty of people here actually agree with some of what you say, but wading through insults is not the way to get your POV across.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Who is trying to stop standing up for what you believe in? Most of the people writing here are commenting on the personal attacks you continue to make, which as I said earlier is contrary to DCP guidelines that you agreed to in order to join. 

Plenty of people here actually agree with some of what you say, but wading through insults is not the way to get your POV across.

I wonder if his parents ever taught him that fact?

And I actually would have thought he'd have learned it from all the experience he has in the activity.  But, wait...

LOL

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'm here to voice the opinions and thoughts of a growing number of THOUSANDS of drum corps fans who have already written you off.  

Who do you believe should set the direction of DCI?

I agree with you that there are thousands of ex-DCI fans who left because of changes since 2000, but ... so what? What gives them the right to direct the activity?

I, like you, am just a guy who marched a long time ago. I buy tickets & recordings, buy some souvenirs, make some donations. And I don't love many of the changes. I don't believe I should have any voice in where the activity goes because I have very little skin in the game. My choice is pretty simple: I can watch if I still enjoy it, or do something else if I don't.

The people who have skin in the game are the current members - paying $4K for their tour - and the corps directors & instructors who make this their career. They are the ones setting the direction, and they should be IMO. If audience size fell, or members stopped auditioning, I'm sure you'd see changes. But both are the best they've been in more than a decade right now.

It's always been this way, The DCI that you marched in 1997 was a totally different thing from the DCI of 1972. Those changes drove plenty away too, but they happened because that's what the people in charge in the 70s and 80s wanted.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ShortAndFast said:

Who do you believe should set the direction of DCI?

Wouldn't that fall on the corps? It's up to DCI to implement the rules, but it's up to the corps to choose how to play within them.

The NFL may say what is and is not legal, but it's up to the teams if they want to be a running team or a passing team or a hybrid team or a slightly deflated ball team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

We are talking about IRS tax filings and any attempt by an organization such as DCI to intentionally and illegally misrepresent paid receipts at a Championships show in its tax filings.  We all can assume that DCI does not misrepresent paid receipt numbers to the IRS.  Not in 1981. Not in the 1990's. Not today..Your question here for us then is not germane to this at all. ( but the answer would be " all the time "... and also " its not illegal, just unseemly")

Agree about reporting, although not like it would be unusual. BUT jumbo tron numbers, announcements to the general drum corps public should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by GUARDLING

I think MikeD summed up the Bobby gig. I, as I have actually told him numerous times sometimes agree with portions his opinions. HOWEVER, insulting marching members, staff, (especially apparently 1 director he has a beef with) will not further his cause. He can beat his chest, write wholes pages of diatribe etc. If you love the activity of past and are not happy do something about it rather than insult the aforementioned but long standing members here then find another way

Edited by oldcadetsop