A question for the purists: was there more that could have been done?

16 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Sure, I'd love to see corps on the field in uniforms, playing bugles, spinning rifles and staying on their feat for the entire production, marching drill instead of dancing, and treating drum corps with the respect it deserves.  But I know DCI doesn't want to go back there.  All I'm saying is that it would be nice for fans (and, more importantly, performers) to have a wider choice of styles beyond "Whatever last years's champion is doing".  And if that's not going to happen, then I would really like for DCI to acknowledge that the activity is no longer drum corps, and to change its name to something more appropriate to what it actually is.  "Summer Guard International", "Fine Arts International", whatever.  Just call a spade a spade, and quit pretending to be something they stopped being almost two decades ago.  At that point, they can dance and amplify and distort and roll around and wear figure skating outfits all they want to.  The day they stop dishonoring the drum corps activity, one way or the other, I'd be satisfied.

There is an extremely wide variety of styles today. Who copied what the 2016 Coats did last year? Certainly not BD or SCV or BAC or Crown or...corps are putting together very disparate shows, style-wise. they HONOR drum corps of the past in what they do today, as witnessed by the reaction of the SCV current members to the alumni corps. or as witnessed by the many corps who have alumni nights at their spring camps where past members trace back their corps histories. 

Cadets still sing "O Holy Name", as I did from 70-72 and those before and after me have done. FHNSAB.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I happen to like the modern trend

Exactly,  Everything else you typed is the result of that sentence alone.  If I was part of the CJ here dogging on anyone who spoke out against the overbearing changes, you'd think it's all in good fun (which you have exhibited time and time and time again on here).  But because I'm not, you're trying to label me as "the bad guy".  You're only "insulted" because I disagree, fundamentally and emphatically, with essentially every single word you type.

Not having it.

You tell me WHY it's necessary for corps to wear skintight leotards.  You tell me WHY it's so great for the activity to have the horns and drums sidelined for synthesizers and singers.  You tell me WHY scatter drill and dancing from form to form is the way forward.  That's the point of this discussion.  Not to sit around and complain about how insulted you feel about ideas that don't align with your own.

Edited by Bobby L. Collins

Creating and maintaining a Top 3 DCI corps has become a VERY expensive endeavor. The cost to 'get there" and "stay there" is increasingly out of reach for most community organizations who desire to make the journey.  It was bound to happen.  The DCI organization actually has made an accommodation for new participants. It is providing a "stage" for other levels of participation. Drumline Battle, SoundSport, etc.

The voting members of DCI are determining what direction their organization takes. I'm not bothered by their privilege of decision-making. And, if I continue to enjoy what they come up with, I'll continue to do what I have to do to consume whatever they offer me.

Mr. Collins has chosen to publicize his concerns. In great detail!    I've read all of his thoughts and respect his passion about what he sees.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

Exactly,  Everything else you typed is the result of that sentence alone.  If I was part of the CJ here dogging on anyone who spoke out against the overbearing changes, you'd think it's all in good fun (which you have exhibited time and time and time again on here).  But because I'm not, you're trying to label me as "the bad guy".  You're only "insulted" because I disagree, fundamentally and emphatically, which essentially every single word you type.

Not having it.

You tell me WHY it's necessary for corps to wear skintight leotards.  You tell me WHY it's so great for the activity to have the horns and drums sidelined for synthesizers and singers.  You tell me WHY scatter drill and dancing from form to form is the way forward.  That's the point of this discussion.  Not to sit around and complain about how insulted you feel about ideas that don't align with your own.

Rocky Top,(Bobby boy) you are missing the point, as has been pointed out by numerous members. I do not think anyone here has a problem with your opinion. You are entitled to it. BUT, as if has not been beaten enough, the tact with which you go about said opinion shows a lack of maturity.

Edited by oldcadetsop
  • Like 2

This has gone so far off the rails. iClose. 

• Like 4